Walking vs Jumping into combat

Well,

-If your target is within 8 inches from your starting position in the movement phase, you are always better off using your Jump Pack in the Assault Phase rather than in the movement phase, regardless of wether said target is hiding in terrain or not.

-If your target is 9 inches away and in terrain, you should use your JP in the assault phase. Anything further away, use your JP in the movement phase.

-When in open terrain and 9 inches or more away, you need to weigh the risks vs the benefits. Do you really need those Hammer of Wrath hits? If you fail your charge, how bad are you going to get smacked around?

Other things to keep in mind that are useful:

-There is no way to have a 100% success rate when assaulting into terrain, no matter how close you are. That's friggin' stupid if you ask me, but them's the rules

-You can have a 100% success rate in open terrain up to 14 inches when using the JP in the movement phase.

Good stuff. Always nice to read a synopsis!

-When in open terrain and 9 inches or more away, you need to weigh the risks vs the benefits. Do you really need those Hammer of Wrath hits? If you fail your charge, how bad are you going to get smacked around?

Hmm, Needing the 3 and a reroll, I'd almost always take HoW. I think even up to 12" away, I'd walk and jump in the assault phase. Needing a 6 with a reroll is pretty accomplishable, with the odds being stacked in my favour.

13" is the tipping point for me. Getting to within 7" , the charge should be do-able especially with the reroll, but it would depend on how I was feeling, however I would never shoot my pistols.

14" away I'd always jump to 2" away. Pistol shots are essentially identical to HoW hits, but at better AP, don't auto hit, however should balance out with HoW due to the need to be in b2b for HoW. 

This I swear: Every time I have needed to make a 4" charge, whether it be 4" in the open or 6" into terrain, I rolled 3. Every time, just ask my opponents. Yet when I need 6", I tend to roll 9 or 11.

I guess my point is that, averages and ironic dice gods considered, a 7" charge is no more risky than a 5" charge or lower.

Archived