The Apocalypse Crusade

tvih

I considered something in that vein, but I don't have skills to make the remains of the torn-open dreadnought look good. Therefore the shooty option.

But alas, here I am tinkering with BT stuff when I'd need to finish the remaining models for my Sisters list first...

• 1 month later...

Especially given the failure of trying to sculpt tabards, I couldn't let the extra tabard in the SB box go to waste. As a result of a small surgical operation there's this dude... it's hammer time, heretics!

gallery_68041_14949_445912.jpg

Of course arms are magnetized, but the hammer seemed a good fit for the pose. Plus I envisioned him as leading assault intercessors, so points allowing it'd go with that nicely. Sort of wish I'd saved the Castellan torso for this... but maybe with the next SB box, whenever I get that. Also there's the extra cape from the PCrusader kit I can use on him, but forgot for the pic.

Generally speaking the Primaris project still hasn't taken off properly yet, as in addition to generic exhaustion the burnout from doing Sisters so time-intensively is still very much there, making it hard to get started on even a medium-sized project such as this. The Only thing in technically playable condition is Helbrecht, who is painted and based except for missing the thralls. The five SB bodies are cleaned up for painting, but still pondering what I'm gonna do with some of the stupid split hand options, so they're still lacking weapons for now.

Edited by tvih

Take your time mate - seems like you've done plenty with the new kits! Obviously, I'm not familiar with the new kits so I can't appreciate the extent of kitbashing - the model looks good. Sure, it seems that the tabard was intended for a more static model, but it doesn't detract from the overall looks.

On a side note, I don't know why, but I kind of feel that the Primaris running legs are always a bit clumsy - maybe they're too dynamic, leaning forwards too much, or the greaves are too bulky. Then again, the same can be said of the old marines ;)

Keep us updated with your painting progress!

Well, the overall work needed wasn't huge - to get the tabard and its associated front torso to fit to this particular body it was necessary to remove most of the base model's groin guard and a few other smaller cuts to get a good fit. Then as the SB front torso came with the front leg up to but not including the knee, I had to cut the leg from the original body front that it was part of and then cut it to the right shape to fit the join at the knee. Then needed to plug some gaps in the crotch area - not really visible from normal viewing angles, but not too much work to cover either. And voila. If anyone else has these Indomitus assault intercessors and wants to use the tabard, this is definitely the best body of those to use it on (it's the one with the empty pistol holster on the back/right).

And yeah, the tabard angle isn't necessarily the best for a running pose, but GW plastic being notoriously nasty to bend without breaking I figured it's close enough. There would be some space to bend it back though. I definitely far prefer it like this over a non-tabard model already though, and the cape makes it even better.

Anyway, so that it's not just boring text spam, I figure I might as well post Helbrecht as he is now. It's not like I'm likely to do the thralls in the near future given he can be played like this and the SB & army set needing the attention instead:

gallery_68041_14949_190161.jpg

Not the best lighting making it look a bit flat, but whatevs. He's magnetized to the base as I was/am not sure if I'm going to try to do one that more matches my the intended new basing for the rest of my Templars.

• 9 months later...

In a truly astonishing show of progress, I actually painted the previously shown kitbashed running Sword Brother. Inconceivable!

Sloppy line work despite taking hours, somehow still worse-looking tabards than in the very first minis I did ten years ago.... but at least it's painted, I guess?

Haha, yes - that is progress! Don't worry about it's pace, though. The lines only look sloppy-ish in the close-up photo, the tabard definitely is fine. Overall, I like it! Sure, you could spend more time to refine the lines, but - honestly - I don't think it's worth it. I'm sure the model looks excellent in 'real life' (as opposed to 'good' in the photo).

Now that my Sisters are done I really ought to get the PSB, PCrusaders, Bladeguard (and various CF-colored Primaris things) done... and many others. A bunch of stuff is is basecoated but that's about it so far beyond this thunder hammer one. One thing I also still haven't been able to get is capes for the Bladeguard. I have capes for basically all my other BT power armored elites except jump troops, so they need 'em!

Plus I'd still need some more BT shields. The 3D print designs on the previous page would need work, but never did get around continuing on those. Surprise!

And of course there's the upcoming "Bayard's Revenge" mini which I really want especially with how meh the normal EC is to me (haven't even bothered to assemble it), but finances are messed up for the next two months so I guess it'll remain to be seen if I can manage it.

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, tvih said:

Helbrecht needs to step up his game, only having taken down a mere boy.

Honestly, feel tempted to convert his boy with the claw from one of my spare Bayard's. The original artwork had him having taken down a Nob with a claw and mouth piece thing. It's my one "letdown" (if you can call it that) with what I otherwise consider a virtually perfect model for him.

I reckon the klaw would look a bit ridiculous with the boyz body, given the size. Personally with Helbrecht's model I'm mostly slightly "meh" about the servitors and would kinda prefer if he held the combi-melta himself, but if I had left them off (though the sword cleaner guy is removable as is the ork - my modularity madness strikes again) then I'd forget to include their CC attacks when gaming. If I ever manage to get these new models to the gaming table anyway, that is. Haven't played Templars in nearly three years now.

Great progress. The models look a bit silly side-by-side :D  - but that's just the thing with diorama-like miniatures. They're usually not really meant to be displayed next to each other.

On 11/1/2022 at 6:54 AM, tvih said:

Personally with Helbrecht's model I'm mostly slightly "meh" about the servitors and would kinda prefer if he held the combi-melta himself, but if I had left them off (though the sword cleaner guy is removable as is the ork - my modularity madness strikes again) then I'd forget to include their CC attacks when gaming.

I'm inclined to agree with you. The servitors aren't bad, but I'd rather prefer if they were hooded, like in the source artwork, or even further optional, allowing Helbrecht to carry his rifle without the need for conversion work. Still, the new Helbrecht is a nice-looking piece.

Would you mind sharing a photo of him from another angle, showing his cape and the thrall with the combi-melta (or whatever it's called now). Did you by any chance magnetise his head to be able to swap between the helmet and bare head?

IMG_20221102_154529.thumb.jpg.58591cf692408bf1ed1114a24010beae.jpg

Not much to see? Quick unflattering phone flash shot 'cause too lazy to dig up my camera. Does remind me I need to enhance the cloak a bit at some point to add a bit of definition.

And yeah, the head is magnetized although I don't plan to ever using the nasty unhelmeted head options for him. I think I originally meant to use the helmet on the Marshal if not using Helbrecht, but of course with the different color it doesn't quite "work."