Bastion Crusade WIP

With 6th ed out and more importantly my younger brother pushing me to get back into the hobby I figured it was time to break out all the old minis. My second stint in school as well as my fulltime employment will limit my throughput but hopefully I can update pretty regularly.

I never really had a Templar force and was mostly proxy's from my original vanilla marines but this time around I'm gonna do it right with each mini getting the attention they deserve. I've been collecting odd bits for a Templar force since 4th ed but never really put it all together so I will basically be starting from scratch while trying to recycle as many of my old models as I can.

Without further ado here's the begging of the project

Spent the last week clearing out and setting up a work space in the basement

gallery_55722_7542_519784.jpg

Piles of bits collected and quasi sorted

gallery_55722_7542_482868.jpg

The meat of the work-space currently taken by my redux Neophytes (more on these guys in a few days I hope)

gallery_55722_7542_546827.jpg

Last one is more a question, found this chain at Micheals for $4 for 100in what do you all think of it for a cheap way to give all my guys chained weapons? (model for size comparison)

gallery_55722_7542_260471.jpg

so here's a quick WIP on some neophytes and my chaplain. probably going to get the chappy a new backpack and I need to give him a crozius somewhere. I think I also want to give him a 'meaner' looking power fist but cant decide. I also have about 14 Neo's sitting on my desk in various states of assembly, I made a post a while back and got some good C&C that I took to heart so I'm working through that but the other day on the forum someone posted about apprentice chaplians and I thought that idea was way too cool to pass up. So I whipped up a couple chaplain in training Neo's that will be in the squad the Chappy himself has joined. I really wanted to capture the squire feel that I think the Neo-Ini relationship has.

This is all VERY WIP but I would love to hear what you all think.

Chappy

gallery_55722_7542_632494.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_681900.jpg

Chappy Neo 1

gallery_55722_7542_710734.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_2382.jpg

Chappy Neo 2 (one of my favorites)

gallery_55722_7542_223797.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_511593.jpg

Its hard to tell but that's a maul I built strapped to his back, Ill try and get better pics later.

Welcome Brother Joseph! The Eternal Crusade beckons.

First off, I really like where you're going with your Neos, but Neo #2 is a brilliant composition. Initially, I was a little leery of the idea, but I certainly like what you've done and it gives me some ideas for my upcoming Neophyte effort.

Did I tell you that I really liked #2?

The chaplain has a very nice "Dr. Harry" pose and I think he works as a composition as well.

Regarding the chain...it's close. It seems a tad big to me, though I could see it working on dreads, vehicles, and possibly termies. I'll have to think about it more. Also look at Th!rdeye's thread for some other chain options.

Please do continue.

Cheers,

i am very much liking those neophytes there buddy! i might consider doing something similar for cenobyte servitors!

as for the chain i think it looks fine for its size but in comparison to the "chain" on the plastic models its a bit big

just my 2 cents

• 3 weeks later...

Ok a little bit of work done and some primer on the Chaplain who now is SS and PF. added some chain to the PF and re-positioned the shield arm. generally tried to clean him up a little as-well. Alo a group shot with his chaplain-in-training Neos

gallery_55722_7542_2746231.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_827806.jpg

A few more WIP Neophyte conversions as-well

gallery_55722_7542_857113.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_2439581.jpg

And last but not least WIP EC. still trying to figure out what to do with his right arm? maybe holding a censure or something else suitably Templar-ish

gallery_55722_7542_4218218.jpg

As always I welcome any and all C&C

As for his right arm...maybe nothing? The grey knights sprue has plenty of hands that are open or in a fist that would work out well.

Sadly all the hands on the GK sprue are lefties. I've mocked up a couple from various bits and I'm pretty sure I've found one I like.

First off, I really like where you're going with your Neos, but Neo #2 is a brilliant composition. Initially, I was a little leery of the idea, but I certainly like what you've done and it gives me some ideas for my upcoming Neophyte effort.

Did I tell you that I really liked #2?

Thanks, he turned out way way better than expected and is fast becoming one of my favorite conversions. Now I'm too afraid to paint him haha

I've already decided to make the entire army feel more Medieval than ye standard BT but for the longest time I've been stuck on Coat of Arms and general lore/mythology. Bounced around with a few themes; Kraken, Dragon, Lion. All of these felt too overused and beat to death (insert hipster jokes here).

After trolling around the internet and various bits sites it struck me that next to no one is doing anything with Bears or Ursa themed? I dug a little deeper and still couldn't find almost anything. Bears are in a few existing Coat of Arms and fit nicely into the Knight theme so I'm gonna mock up a few test models but I'm pretty sure I wanna add an Ursine theme to my crusade.

I also need to at some point before painting come up with my crusade badge and maybe think of renaming the crusade and characters.

All in all I hope to end up with a Slavic/German/Teutonic/Knight/Bear thing haha. Some inspirational material I've collected

gallery_55722_7542_35008.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_21921.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_177830.jpg

Got super inspired today (read: the Nationals were on a rain delay) and finished off the EC ;) Decided to give him a cestus for when hes not using the Black Sword. Kinda envisioned him breaking the chain when he finds a worthy opponent for it, otherwise he's just bad :cuss enough to use his hands and feet.

gallery_55722_7542_1087708.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_377305.jpg

Welcome back to the hobby! I like where you're going with the crusade. When it's all said and done, you should have a very unique BT force, unlike any others I've seen out there. I commend you on all the conversion work...I still have yet to break into that realm! I like the idea of chaplain "apprentices"...I'm also thinking of taking another brother's idea (forgive me, I forget who mentioned it) and use HB toting Neos for Tech Marine "apprentices". I like the look of them much better than the half dead cenobytes. I agree with Honda on the chain...it looks just a tiny bit too big, but if that's what you got, then go with it! At the end of the day, they're your little project. And if you're happy with the work, to hell with what everyone else thinks (I'm talking at you Samuel). Keep your zeal and keep posting your progress...it does wonders for those of us that have "stalled out" on our own little projects!

@Samuel - dude, CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM...not your silly BA jealousy. If you intended to be funny, the message was sure lost in translation. If this is all you have to say, then I suggest you keep your thoughts to yourself and troll your own boards where you can basque in the gleaming self righteous-nus of your golden "sanguinyness"...along with the rest of your pretty boy buddies. (I'm totally seeing a room full of Gold Painted Kevin Bacons...a la JFK the movie...anyone else see that? :P ) I invite you to our solo challenge thread, where our single HQ choices are besting your chap and DC brothers time and again. Don't mess with the BTs baby!!! :tu:

So, as far as im concerned, the only cool part of this converstion is the sanguinary guard chest peice, and thats cause its blood angels. :cuss all that other :cuss

A most juvenile and unwelcome post. If they allow such behavior over in the blood angels forum, then may I politely suggest that you return there.

Brother Joseph, it is good to see someone so unrestrained in their conversions. I think that you can definitely get away with the chain size, though in an ideal world it would be ever so slightly smaller. Ive just recently gone on a hunt myself for appropriately sized chain and found a massive range at a local bead/jewelry making store. If you can find one near you, it is definitely worth a shot.

If I may ask a question? which kits did chaplain neophyte #2 arms come from? ( the torch and the other object he is holding). Im always interested in some creative kit bashes :P

Nicely done conversions battle-brother, like what you did with torch and relic Apprentice, although I agree with Marshal Veyross

that somewhat the chain size is rather big. But if you're not able to find a right size and since I can see you're

sculpting and conversion techniques are pretty good maybe you can use this:

How to make Green stuff chains

it comes in really handy and could may have some other uses for you too in-case your chains can't wrap around the arm or so, or you ran out of chains.

@Brother-captain Samuel: Please put your BA attitude in the BA forum, this is the BT forums you deep striked in the wrong place, like your Primarch ^_^ (You should roll a Mishap :lol: )

Nicely done conversions battle-brother, like what you did with torch and relic Apprentice, although I agree with Marshal Veyross

that somewhat the chain size is rather big

Thanks so much, and this is why I ask the questions haha. Found some perfectly sized chain for dirt cheap at Hobby Lobby not 10 min away from the house. (see below)

Brother Joseph, it is good to see someone so unrestrained in their conversions. I think that you can definitely get away with the chain size, though in an ideal world it would be ever so slightly smaller. Ive just recently gone on a hunt myself for appropriately sized chain and found a massive range at a local bead/jewelry making store. If you can find one near you, it is definitely worth a shot.

If I may ask a question? which kits did chaplain neophyte #2 arms come from? ( the torch and the other object he is holding). Im always interested in some creative kit bashes :P

Thanks :) , I really just wanted to make the whole army feel unique

On your advice, I went, I saw, I conquered my local Hobby Lobby and came away with perfect chain. (more on this below)

The reliquary is off the Men at Arms banner and command sprue, a decent bit of shaving on the back to get the arm to nestle but nothing terribly difficult

The arm holding it I believe is from the same box but might be high elves?? and then I just GS on a handle

The torch is off the same thing but its cut and pinned to one of the spear hands

Skull helm is off the old Chaos LR chain thing and I just shaved off all the chain

Little coffin on the belt is from GK strike squad sprue

Mual is made of sprue and a pinned haft from men at arms spear with the head made from the Justicar shield off the GK strike squad sprue

It think that's everything

Welcome back to the hobby! I like where you're going with the crusade. When it's all said and done, you should have a very unique BT force, unlike any others I've seen out there. I commend you on all the conversion work...I still have yet to break into that realm! I like the idea of chaplain "apprentices"...I'm also thinking of taking another brother's idea (forgive me, I forget who mentioned it) and use HB toting Neos for Tech Marine "apprentices". I like the look of them much better than the half dead cenobytes. I agree with Honda on the chain...it looks just a tiny bit too big, but if that's what you got, then go with it! At the end of the day, they're your little project. And if you're happy with the work, to hell with what everyone else thinks (I'm talking at you Samuel). Keep your zeal and keep posting your progress...it does wonders for those of us that have "stalled out" on our own little projects!

Thanks ;) As for conversion work its always been my favorite part of the game and this time I'm old enough and patient to actually put in the time to get it all right haha. You'll get there too and I love the idea of more like mechanics assistants than servitors. And as mentioned previously I value and took to heart your all opinion on the chain. And don't worry pics will keep rolling till I have to start painting and get afraid of ruining them all :P

Now onto new things!

1.) For $1.05 for like 2 feet I found some new chain I think might be better suited for 28mm scale. Thoughts?

2.) Second pic is because I have a beard/wanted it on my models and always wondered why only SW got to have bearded marines, if anyone else were suited for it it would be us, especially with my northern knights bear theme so I wanted to see how it would look. Feedback here appreciated.

3.) Third pic, sticking with my Medieval theme I think these heads combined with GK boddies for the armored neck/coif thinger could work. This iss what I want your opinions on the most! Gave 2 views front and top so you could get a better feel for the size and positioning

4.) WIP maul, tired of all BP and CC marines using chain-swords but I didn't wanna confuse with TH I think this one works.

gallery_55722_7542_819635.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1064311.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1372009.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_23089.jpg

Also I think its offically time to buy a box of Warriors of Chaos. don't burn me ;)

gallery_55722_7542_1601568.jpg

So to recap in order of importance

1.) Chain size, Is this better?

2.) Medieval heads, Is this too far too still remain BT/Space Marine

2.) Beards, Do these look too Space Wolfy?

3.) Maul, Does this look terrible?

1.) Chain still looks a little too large for my taste.

2.) A little odd looking since it is so different but I think it can work.

3.) Yes. BT's should have nicely trimmed beards, more Knightly. however they could have been in the battlefield for a long time so it could work if painted right.

4.) I like the maul I say keep it.

Overall I like your work and I really like your neophytes I might just steal the idea and try to fit it into my army, keep up the good work I'm looking forward to seeing more

#1 - I think you are close. It also looks a tad large to me, though it may work on termies and certainly dreads and vehicles. So, I too will be taking a look at Hobby Lobby, but I would offer that you take a figure with you so that you have something visual to match up to the chain size.

#2 - Nope, I think the Medieval heads definitely work, especially considering the theme of your crusade. Oddly enough, I am using some of the same heads for my neophytes for similar reasons and will post in my crusade thread...tomorrow at the latest.

#3 - Beards can definitely work. I think you've got the right ones on though so that they don't look like SWs. Besides, I think we all need an "Epic Beard Guy" (search Youtube) in our armies.

#4 - Yes, this works. It looks brutal and effective, so well done on the modeling.

Regarding the Chaos Warriors, the guys on the left are just awesome sauce and I do think I'll be modeling a chaplain along those lines at some point.

You are doing some excellent work on this project. Please do continue.

Cheers,

Chain size I think is still a little big. But should work for terminators/banners/vehicles but if you have time for delivey try this (link: Forgeworld - Chains (Small)) I haven't used this but since it's a GW merchandise it could work... not sure though.

Medieval Headds are a definite win! No problems there it makes you're Crusade both unique and gives your Initiates Character.

Beards are okay but try to trim it a little bit. Not too SW but still too much to be proper knight.

The Maul is awesome I say keep it

About the chains... something to note is that for example the plastic chains that are a part of the BT Chapter Upgrade bits like the weapons are almost 2 millimeters thick. If that FW chain really is that small, it's truly TINY. Joseph, do you have a measurement of how thick the chain you now use is? I was looking at 1 mm jewelry chains on eBay, wouldn't be expensive but would also be well over twenty times more chain than I'd really need - total length about 12 meters for $4.5 :huh: Nuts!

Well got my first 5 crusaders converted and I go to prime them and the can basically explodes on me, you'll see what I mean in a sec. Just ignore the 'dusted' look.

As for the models I'm a big fan of hand axes/mauls and the like so that's what this first guy got, also if your not wearing a helmet it should be on your belt in my mind so thats this guy

Second guy is just a longtime project I've had lying around and I decided he deserved to be a Templar but he didn't have a CC wep so slapped on the sword. Also I think this bearded head fits pretty perfectly without looking too SW. *note this guy is mostly from about 2 years ago and I thought it would be cool to use necron bits for bionics. Ill probably end up keeping his right arm and leg for sentimental value*

As for the last marine I think the Medieval head fits nicely here as well

gallery_55722_7542_1130133.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_777921.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1895831.jpg

gallery_55722_7542_1362923.jpg

Final note: broke down and bought a box of warriors of chaos so expect to see some cloaked Templar and Gothic marines in the near future

Archived