Black Like My Soul

Sception

I like the look of the flamer attached to the side of the claw. Mind if I steal that for my own conversion?

Don't mind at all.  I'm not the first person to do it, either.  I forget where, but I saw someone do something similar for a tyrant's claw on a Huron conversion using the DV lord.

@Raass: thanks.

Initial basing work is done on the characters:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z142/Malisteen/Black%20Legion/etl01_zps086ee373.jpg

My main days to paint before leaving town are tomorrow and Sunday.  Hopefully I can make some serious progress on these characters before I leave.  The Plaguereaper will have to wait until I get back - but as long as the characters are mostly done before I go, I should still have little trouble finishing the reaper in the week or so that I'll have between returning and the deadline.

Really like that Sorceror Lord. He has all the bling and then some. Good choice for the Hand of Darkness. Is that from the Wood Elves Dryads or did you make it yourself? Anyway very impressive work.

Fiend looks awesome - I like the action shot against the IG, lovely painted armies ftw.

Sorcerer looks the bomb with the BL artifacts, I too am a stickler for wysiwyg and I am impressed with your ideas for them. Both characters coming along nicely.

Got to ask, why do you paint the bases first? I am too messy and would end up having to repaint them!

Those guys are coming along really nicely mate. I've always been a huge fan of the old Termie lord model, so I'm glad to see somebody doing him justice! B)

Love the action shot BTW!

Doop doop. Waiting for washes to dry. In the mean time...

Really like that Sorceror Lord. He has all the bling and then some. Good choice for the Hand of Darkness. Is that from the Wood Elves Dryads or did you make it yourself? Anyway very impressive work.

Thanks. Actually, it's a non-gw bit that I had ling around in my bits box, but I can't at all remember what it was from.

Agreed: the hand of darkness idea is very cool!

Thanks.

Dat fiend! Hubba hubba

Your inking is amazing, seen a lot done before but you've nailed it! Gratz!

The gold shines, the black is proper matt and I'm well impressed, Legionnaire. smile.png

Thank you. It's taken a long time to get my painting scheme to where it is now, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it looks good.

Fiend looks awesome - I like the action shot against the IG, lovely painted armies ftw.

Sorcerer looks the bomb with the BL artifacts, I too am a stickler for wysiwyg and I am impressed with your ideas for them. Both characters coming along nicely.

Got to ask, why do you paint the bases first? I am too messy and would end up having to repaint them!

While I am a stickler for wysiwyg, I normally wouldn't take it quite as far as I have with the sorcerer - modeling mastery levels and a couple of the 'small gem' artifacts, except for the ETL rules. ETL also inspired the equipment set up - as expensive as possible (I suppose I could have given him the skull, too, but he's kind of weighed down with skulls already, so...). In game, the hand and eye will probably both just represent 'gift of mutation' more often than not, though I will try him out with the full kit at least a few times, just for fun.

I paint the bases first because I'm messy. The basing is particularly messy, with splotchy undercoats and overbruhes, but relatively easy to touch up, certainly easier to fix than armor trim or edge highlighting on boots or legs. If I were a smart cookie I'd paint my models and bases separately. If I were a better painter, I'd let the base mess up the feet a bit, and use it to paint dusty legs, along with weathering and damage and what not, and have impressive realistic looking models, but I'm not, so I try to do the best with the more cartoony look that I'm capable of pulling off.

I suppose I could put more effort into learning how to do those things, but at this point I kind of feel like I've come too far to go back (yeah, I've only a handful of models painted, but they took me like two years), and I'm reasonably content with the current look

Those guys are coming along really nicely mate. I've always been a huge fan of the old Termie lord model, so I'm glad to see somebody doing him justice! cool.png

Love the action shot BTW!

I remember when that model first came out a lot of people saying they weren't too keen on him as a chaos lord, which I sort of agreed with, but on the other hand I felt right from the start that it would make an excellent terminator sorcerer, and even photoshopped the GW pic into thousand sons colors to convince people.

I've had this particular model pretty much since it came out, and originally put the arm on because it looked kind of cool and chaosy, and because it was extended out like he was casting a spell. The force ax, of course, was added later, after the plastic termie lord was released. Not much later, though, iirc the metal termie lord was replaced surprisingly soon after its release. The possessed, too, though that was less surprising, as they were laughably terrible at the time of their release.

You finished yet?

Hardly. Aiming to finish these two sunday evening, and start the reaper after I get back from out of town, around the 20th.

Relax, forte. Your humiliating defeat at my hands will come soon enough!

Mal, you're seriously tempting me to try out inking as a painting technique. It looks so visceral. I love the hand of darkness and the familiar on the backpack. Btw what is that model anyway? I don't recognize it.

Mal, you're seriously tempting me to try out inking as a painting technique. It looks so visceral.

I'm actually not too happy with the daemonic flesh on these models so far. I think I left a highlighting step out before the color washes? It's black undercoat, brown, pale flesh color, brown wash, black wash, highlight back up to the pale flesh again, then wash with purples/reds/etc, and I think I left out the highlight back up part. Not a big deal, just a minor delay as I re-highlight and re-wash the fleshy bits. Or maybe I'll just go into purples & pinks and re-wash from there? Don't know.

I've got the methodology for my bases and armor pretty much set at this point, but the daemonic flesh is still a sort of seat-of-my-pants, mess with it until it looks ok sort of deal.

Got to love a bit of glazing. It's fun too. Multiple very thin layers works better. More control over the colour that way.

Thanks. Will be trying glazes in the future as well, haven't wanted to experiment with them yet. Will be trying on some spare models at some point, probably some leftover zombies, before I start work on any daemon units proper, and will post the results then.

Take a look at the step by step stuff on Massive Voodoo in the tutorial area. Jar and the others almost glaze every colour.

Im the same way. Armour, cabling and trim are all basic recipes, but flesh is a lot of experimenting. I start with rakath flesh and mix up to a highlight with elf flesh. Then I mix lahmian medium with a tiny dab of brown and red gore en pour that ober the flesh. Then lightly highlight again with elf flesh. Lahmian medium is my best friend atm. Perhaps soemthing to try out?

Archived