Veteran Squad loadout

Lord Morgrim

Since you can't get a bonus attack by combining a powerfist with a boltpistol, why not put a plasma gun on that model? Or a combi-flamer, my own perference?

That is a good idea and rounds the squad to 250 points with a plasma pistol (which seems to be the fashion nowdays). A good price for an unit with a ton of attacks and fluffy robes. This veterans might not be the best unit for this price tag but they are surely scary in a number of ways.

I'm all for this if my opponent has a similar mind set. Too often, my opponents do not, and they take the best they can get (internet wisdom, meta performance, the whole nine yards). This ends with me playing a "fun" army that gets tabled. Case in point, last week I played a 1000 point game of Dark Angels Greenwing vs. a Necron player. He tabled me by the end of turn four while I killed a single Wrath (out of six), one Warrior, and knocked his leader off his Chariot of Doom . Just who, exactly was that a fun game for? I shook has hand, I laughed at my misfortune, but in the end, I got my but kicked while doing basically nothing in return. It takes a special kind of person to find the fun in that when it happens every time you take a fun list.

In my meta, the fun list you describe would be toast by turn 2. I know, I know, then find different opponents, right? Problem is, up here in Anchorage, Alaska, we have one LGS (note the lack of Friendly in that abbreviation) and I'm limited to the opponents I face. It's an interesting meta, that's for sure. We occasionally get a tourist up for the summer who brings his 40K army and gets utterly crushed by the players up here. Sometimes, so badly, we only see them once in the store.

Right now, I'm playing my DA as nothing more then a fun army which the meta up here would classify as "wacky" or "senseless". Am I having fun? Kind of. I sure would like to win once in a while with them. I honestly don't believe that is going to happen until we get a new Codex.

Sorry about the response in red! It looks great on my DA Background for B&C. ;)

Right now, I've been running mostly tactical marines due to the models I bought off of a friend. 3 Tact squads, Azrael, Comp Master, and a landerspeeder. Then some scouts later on. I've won one game out of four or five but I've enjoyed everytime. I'm big on fluffy army list. However, on Thursday I will be feilding a lot more. I say go with what you will enjoy. I would buy Dark Vengence and con a friend into playing with you until they like it.

I'm all for this if my opponent has a similar mind set. Too often, my opponents do not, and they take the best they can get (internet wisdom, meta performance, the whole nine yards). This ends with me playing a "fun" army that gets tabled. Case in point, last week I played a 1000 point game of Dark Angels Greenwing vs. a Necron player. He tabled me by the end of turn four while I killed a single Wrath (out of six), one Warrior, and knocked his leader off his Chariot of Doom . Just who, exactly was that a fun game for? I shook has hand, I laughed at my misfortune, but in the end, I got my but kicked while doing basically nothing in return. It takes a special kind of person to find the fun in that when it happens every time you take a fun list.

In my meta, the fun list you describe would be toast by turn 2. I know, I know, then find different opponents, right? Problem is, up here in Anchorage, Alaska, we have one LGS (note the lack of Friendly in that abbreviation) and I'm limited to the opponents I face. It's an interesting meta, that's for sure. We occasionally get a tourist up for the summer who brings his 40K army and gets utterly crushed by the players up here. Sometimes, so badly, we only see them once in the store.

Right now, I'm playing my DA as nothing more then a fun army which the meta up here would classify as "wacky" or "senseless". Am I having fun? Kind of. I sure would like to win once in a while with them. I honestly don't believe that is going to happen until we get a new Codex.

Sorry about the response in red! It looks great on my DA Background for B&C. :tu:

I am so personally interested in knowing what armies you play against?

Why are you getting tabled, why haven't you brought the rath of the Lion down on the miscreants the face you??? :tu:

Since you can't get a bonus attack by combining a powerfist with a boltpistol, why not put a plasma gun on that model?

Because that will invariably be the guy who will roll a "1" To Hit, fail his armor save, and kill himself before he even gets to swat somebody in the face with that powerfist, and you will be left asking yourself, "Why did I equip him that way again?" It is funny because it is true! :angry:

Seriously, I never, ever run 1 Wound models with that many eggs in their one basket. Better to spread it out. That way, casualties don't matter as much either.

On another note, I have been seeing a lot of large Chaos Terminator units (one with the Mark of Tzeentch even) in our gaming group for some time, and even more so now with 6E. I am tempted to field a Veterans unit that has one power fist (just to be able to swat vehicles and MCs a bit better) and plasma pistols on everyone else. Shoot the Chaos Terminators up, then charge in and be just as effective against them as anything that has a power sword. And they get to strike either simultaneously or first. Deluge of wounds kills stuff just fine, even Chaos Terminators (especially the Initiative 1 Chaos Terminators who may then not even get the chance to attack- because they are DEAD! :D), and 40 attacks will definitely kill some guys (and so will the plasma pistols of course). Note that the unit is still a close assault unit though, such that it will definitely be taking advantage of its base 2 Attacks. Not a bad all-arounder unit actually. It can take on a variety of stuff.

Truth be told I field my IG company commander with two plasma pistols and he is a model with 4+ armour save and T 3, yet in every single game he made his points back. Sure once or twice he died due to plasma faliure but still the plasma weapons are such good allrounders that it is easy to kill with them models twice the worth of your own units. If the rumours prove to be true and the DA really get their own Get's Hot! rule I will field plasma weaponry en masse and most certainly on my veterans.

Still the more I think of my loyalist DV chosen version, the more I like it. Sure, it is a massive point sink but still 250 points in a SM list is manegable, afterall where is the fun in playing 40k if you do not field a wacky unit or two.

Archived