Questions for the Omnissiah

Jacobius

As part of the IA I'm developing, I want my chapter to have a close relationship with the forge worlds in their sector and I have some ideas about how to build that relationship I would like to run past the AdMech experts.

1. The very first battle my larval chapter fights is to locate and protect a downed AdMech ship containing an STC hardcopy until AdMech reinforcements arrive (courier fleet ambushed by orks, AdMech occupied with orks elsewhere). It seems to me that STC copies must be transported from forge world to forge world at times otherwise there would be no new forge worlds. Does this seem a plausible bit of fluff (i.e. is there anythhing that would make ut impossible?) and would the AdMech be grateful?

2. My chapter has a thing about learning, not just tech, everything. It's chapter level command groups is even organized to gather and analyze data specifically to makeimprovements. So, could my chapter get under the skin (servos?) of the local AdMech through arse saving and information sharing? Would that at least earn respect and the occasional favour?

Cheers,

-J-

In answer to query #1 STC copies might be transported to new worlds, but such valuable technology would be closely guarded- you might want to emphasize the staggering number of orks that threaten to overrun an admech fleet and your attendant space marines.

In regard to #2, in general learning is not something the admech is into- a few individuals are willing to experiment, but the vast majority of the Cult of Mars works through dogma and slave-like adherence to the Credo Omnissiah. Even techmarines have little in the way of true understanding of machines- they learn to fix the 'beasts of metal' through rituals and rote application of ancient methods. Remember, knowledge is power. If the admech is willing to share their secrets with your chapter, there should be good reason. Perhaps if your chapter begins sharing what they have learned with the admech, who then repay them with the knowledge of rare tech-rituals.

Ah - whythre makes an easy mistake. The AdMech love learning. What they hate is experimenting.

They also believe that knowledge is the sole remit of the Mechanicus and dole it out in tiny, tiny portions only when they absolutely must.

Ah - whythre makes an easy mistake. The AdMech love learning. What they hate is experimenting.

I get the feeling that you are dealing in semantics . . . care to elaborate? Are you saying they like gaining new information but hate innovating?

They like learning things - they like finding a previously unknown STC and finding out what it makes, and what they can do with it. They like archiving data. The Mechanicum never deletes anything.

They hate experimenting (or innovating as you say) - they hate people trying to underclock their plasmagun to see if that makes it less likely to overheat. They hate it when people kludge demolisher cannons onto the front of Land Raiders. They really hate it when people decide to create new technology.

To provide further info, the idea I had was that the courier fleet is ambushed and essentially wiped out with heavy losses to the ork attacking force, several of the ships/smaller shuttles make planet fall in a more or less violent fashion carrying STC in a last ditch attempt to preserve it. Nearby AdMech forces are tied up with other ork forces, fledgling chapter is called in to infiltrate planet, locate and secure STC while waiting for reinforcements. So the relationship starts out as one of desperation and need but it's my understanding that the AdMech would do anything including begging for help from outsiders to protect an STC copy.

As far as the information sharing, the idea was that over the centuries my chapter would provide feedback on combat effectiveness, tricks, workarounds, hints, tips etc. and do it explicitly chapter master/command group talking to archmagos and retinue. Everyone from the chapter master to the newest recruit is taught the importance of information gathering and knowledge is shared and analysed at all levels of command.

Hope that helps

-J-

To provide further info, the idea I had was that the courier fleet is ambushed and essentially wiped out with heavy losses to the ork attacking force, several of the ships/smaller shuttles make planet fall in a more or less violent fashion carrying STC in a last ditch attempt to preserve it. Nearby AdMech forces are tied up with other ork forces, fledgling chapter is called in to infiltrate planet, locate and secure STC while waiting for reinforcements. So the relationship starts out as one of desperation and need but it's my understanding that the AdMech would do anything including begging for help from outsiders to protect an STC copy.

You could even have it that your Chapter provides the AdMech fleet with an honour guard - say a couple fo squads on board a Strike Cruiser - as they pass through local space that the Chapter is responsible for patrolling.

When the Orks WAAAAAGH! it up, your honour guard is caught up in the fight and remains the only force able to summon assistance; then you get both guerilla action from the squads, as well as the cavalry-like rescue from the Chapter.

Thus, when the inevitable rescue occurs and the AdMech forces and their STC are reunited with civilization, much merriment and back-slapping was had by all.

And if you make it an STC for a new pattern of lawnmower, then all the better!

As far as the information sharing, the idea was that over the centuries my chapter would provide feedback on combat effectiveness, tricks, workarounds, hints, tips etc. and do it explicitly chapter master/command group talking to archmagos and retinue. Everyone from the chapter master to the newest recruit is taught the importance of information gathering and knowledge is shared and analysed at all levels of command.

Hope that helps

-J-

That actually sounds pretty darn cool. Since this is 40k, I believe the Rule of Cool is in effect, therefore;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/Forum%20Comments/MikoSatisfied.png "I wholeheartedly approve."

• 3 months later...
They like learning things - they like finding a previously unknown STC and finding out what it makes, and what they can do with it. They like archiving data. The Mechanicum never deletes anything.

They hate experimenting (or innovating as you say) - they hate people trying to underclock their plasmagun to see if that makes it less likely to overheat. They hate it when people kludge demolisher cannons onto the front of Land Raiders. They really hate it when people decide to create new technology.

The fundamental reason behind this: They believe whatever there is to be discovered has been done so during the dark age of technology. Thereby they believe that once they find that whole uncorrupted STC, it will contain everything knowledge/science wise inside. So trying to defile existing examples of that STC by modifying them is heresy.

Archived