Thoughts for an AdMech codex

NemFX

Armoury:

Mechadendrites: Though not intended for combat under ideal circumstances, most agree that they can be pressed into useful service as a last resort. Due to their ubiquitous nature among the followers of the Omnissiah, it's rare that a follower needs to look for a weapon in a pinch. Counts as ccw.

Combat Mechadendrite: Unlike the standard information and microconstruction variant, this one has been upgraded specifically for close combat, be it with electric fields covering blades, monomolecular edges, rotating blades, etc. Counts as power weapon.

Autosanguination: By removing, and replacing, all of the blood in the followers body, the follower gets a grayish tone to their skin, and increased wound regeneration. +1 toughness.

Bionic eyes: Through accident or upgrade, the followers eyes have been replaced by a collection of advanced sensors and augers. Night vision, able to measure distances for shooting before you declare what your shooting at. (i forget the name of it, storm troopers used to have it)

Bionic organs: Through accident or upgrade, most of those squishy parts aren't so squishy anymore. +1 wound.

Cogitators: Upgrades to the followers brain let them process information and sensation faster, allowing them to react quicker than most normal humans. +1 initiative.

Bionic limbs: same as the old bionics rules. can take up to 4 bionic limbs. if they have all 4, then -1 initiative, due to energy requirements, except if..

Extra charge: A backpack mounted energy device. Possibly archeotech, or maybe just full of batteries. +1 to ballistic weapon, or +1 initiative if the follower has four bionic limbs.

Vox controller: A chest mounted device; a box about twelve inches long, six wide, and five tall. The follower misses both movement and shooting, but two models in the army get to fire their shooting weapon at BS5.

Levitation device: Possibly a throne, or boots, the specific form of the device varies. Makes follower's unit type into Jump Infantry.

Chariot-jetbike: Too heavy to be a true jetbike, this device hovers only a foot or two above the ground. Because of the speeds it reaches, the follower must have undergone the autosanguination rites to keep their veins intact. The hull of the chariot contains a twin linked bolter. Counts as space marine bike.

.. I'll probably update this some other time, but yeah. Just some ideas on wargear.

Armoury:

Mechadendrites: Though not intended for combat under ideal circumstances, most agree that they can be pressed into useful service as a last resort. Due to their ubiquitous nature among the followers of the Omnissiah, it's rare that a follower needs to look for a weapon in a pinch. Counts as ccw.

Combat Mechadendrite: Unlike the standard information and microconstruction variant, this one has been upgraded specifically for close combat, be it with electric fields covering blades, monomolecular edges, rotating blades, etc. Counts as power weapon.

What kind? Sword, axe or mace? I guess it would depend on the model?

Autosanguination: By removing, and replacing, all of the blood in the followers body, the follower gets a grayish tone to their skin, and increased wound regeneration. +1 toughness.

Bionic eyes: Through accident or upgrade, the followers eyes have been replaced by a collection of advanced sensors and augers. Night vision, able to measure distances for shooting before you declare what your shooting at. (i forget the name of it, storm troopers used to have it)

Targeter, but it's not important any more. You can now premeasure everything as of 6th anyway. Also, blood doesn't work that way. :P

Bionic organs: Through accident or upgrade, most of those squishy parts aren't so squishy anymore. +1 wound.

Cogitators: Upgrades to the followers brain let them process information and sensation faster, allowing them to react quicker than most normal humans. +1 initiative.

Bionic limbs: same as the old bionics rules. can take up to 4 bionic limbs. if they have all 4, then -1 initiative, due to energy requirements, except if..

This needs explanation. The old bionics rules were a chance to get back up on a 6 if you die. How does initiative work into that? What does having multiple bionic limbs do?

Extra charge: A backpack mounted energy device. Possibly archeotech, or maybe just full of batteries. +1 to ballistic weapon, or +1 initiative if the follower has four bionic limbs.

Is that +1 -1 Init for a net 0, or is that +1 Init for a net +1?

Vox controller: A chest mounted device; a box about twelve inches long, six wide, and five tall. The follower misses both movement and shooting, but two models in the army get to fire their shooting weapon at BS5.

So he sacrifices his Move and Shoot phase to grant 2 models in the army BS5? Does he have to have BS5? What range is it? Most verbal stuff is 12" range max.

Levitation device: Possibly a throne, or boots, the specific form of the device varies. Makes follower's unit type into Jump Infantry.

Chariot-jetbike: Too heavy to be a true jetbike, this device hovers only a foot or two above the ground. Because of the speeds it reaches, the follower must have undergone the autosanguination rites to keep their veins intact. The hull of the chariot contains a twin linked bolter. Counts as space marine bike.

That's just not needed. Adds nothing real.

Maybe the Autosanguination could confer FnP, as this is the normal way to represent medical treatment such as medic/apothecary, Blackblood is, after all, just loads of medical nanobots in the bloodstream. A medicae/torture mechadendrite could confer this effect to the whole unit, maybe to a lesser degree.

Do you want it to be a purely loyalist codex, or do you want Dark Mechanicus bitz to be availiable? I would suggest consulting the cybernetics section of the Black Crusade book either way, but some devices may not be loyalist-appropriate (Scrap Code Generator), and some (MIUs and Nerve Induction Tines spring to mind) would be very cool, but hard to make good rules for.

Depending on how flexible you want the units to be, things such as synthmuscle could open the way for adjustment of pretty much all stats.

I would say to let the combat mecha be any type of power weapon that you can model, like power weapons are in almost every case at the moment.

Not to say "absolutely not", but how would that work? Using an MIU to fire small arms seems to me to be like trying to extract info from a book using a dataspike. I am, however, normally completely wrong when on the B&C, so if it is explicable then sure.

You've misunderstood the purpose of an MIU.

An MIU is a "Mind-Impulse Unit". Its sole purpose is to link a piece of equipment to the character's mind, to allow them to mentally activate it. For example, Inquisitor Covenant has a MIU Psycannon on a shoulder-mount.

I was going by stuff I've seen and read in the books.

Some of the things aren't 'adding' stuff, because it's to keep the rules consistent enough with things we already have, while making new modelling options.

The +1 tougness (autosanguination) is to represent the fact that the follower is that little bit 'harder' - that they can heal more of their wounds, so they are 'tougher' as a result.

Bionics tends to be bionic limbs, bionic organs aren't limbs. As for the idea of having four bionic limbs, in one of the Black Library books, there was a tech priest guy who was mostly all bionics, and when he was outside of his base, he'd start hemorrhaging energy fast, he ends up shutting down almost everything so he can keep running. In a follower (i.e. not a space marine) this should be represented somehow. having four bionic limbs would grant you a 4+ chance of reviving, so a hit to initiative is less of a problem, but is fairly fluffy.

Extra charge would be a net zero, but i think one could take two of them, for a +1, i wouldnt let someone take more than two though, for gameplay reasons.

Vox: no he wouldnt have to be bs5, but yeah, anywhere on the field. its a rare device, so only the independant characters could take it, perhaps just the hqs? its supposed to be something a little wild, to make the mechanicum more able to live up to their weird and effective ways.

Yes, but I was thinking that that only makes sense for weapons especially mounted and triggered for MIU interface. It isn't a face of "I'm gonna wrap this here wire from my brain around this lasgun and it will be able to aim and fire by mind control." But yeah, I suppose that they would just modify their weapons. Sorry yet again Miko. :(

For Autosanguination, why not just have it grant the It Will Not Die USR? Seems very fitting, since Autosanguination's all about rapid regeneration.

This restricts it to multi-wound units, but isn't Autosanguination primarily used by high-ranking tech-priests or advanced servitor-constructs (i.e., multi-wound) anyways?

Archived