AT LAST!

Beachymike123

The Thousand Sons pack strikes me as odd, there isn't enough heads to go with the amount of torso conversions, I'd be having to find a further three heads from somewhere. Way to go GW.

It's 31 pieces, which is 8 torso bits, 6 shoulder pads, 2 bolters, 4 arms, sorcerer (main part, backpack, pistol hand) leaving 8 pieces which would be heads.

You're right, I was just looking at the numbers by the components. My bad, it makes sense now.

Anyone else finding the Chaos Turkey reminds them of this?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ho+oh&amp...,r:15,s:0,i:170

The rear end just killed it for me along with the price, no way am I buying something that looks like half a model, think the read end will be released in the second wave?

The nature of the releases, plus the prices......... I have no excitement for this, and it just feels flat.

I hope Sorcerers can make Rubrics troops, otherwise Thousand son players are screwed even more then the conversion kit already has done.

2) this is a far less impressive release than that which accompanied the last few books. Where's the cultists and chosen? We get a new troop unit, but no model release for them outside the starter box?

I suppose they want the players to buy the starter in order to increase their cultist hordes. I believe they fear many players won't buy Dark Vangeance any more if they have a cultists box. Eventually they eill release it but right now they want to sell DV.

Anyway I don't see the logic behind such policy. It's not difficult for us to convert cultist from other citadel minis: I made 10 of them from a box of fantasy handgunners, for example, and I plan to convert the beastmen troops and possibly vampire counts into cultists.

So if players want more cultists without buying additional DV sets they can convert them with ease so it would be logical to give us a cultist box and make everyone happy.

It seems GW does not share my point of view, though :rolleyes:

The logic is that people who are unskilled at converting(Me for example) and those who are simply too lazy to convert because they want to get in and play(Let's say Bob) would be more inclined to Cultists to make things easier. Now, you mentioned that Forgeworld does have its own Cultist minis. That is very true. But the easiest way by far to build a new army(Say if someone didn't have an army or someone just wanted to build a first/another Chaos army), DV does look very appealing. People are buying it left and right and some are buying more than one copy. It provides a new easy. feel for Chaos minis and you can use the entire box for a Chaos army. You can't say that for anyone building a DA army as the Chaos units would be more than a little noticeable in a Loyalist army. Right now, DV is on a selling spree simply because of this fact. It's the only place to get new and different Basic Chaos Marines, the Cultists and the Hellbrute. And a new Chaos Lord. Although that new Aspiring Champion is a very suitable enough replacement for that. And the Sorcerer, well I believe the comment was "It's a throwback to the older minis." From what I hear, the older minis were more similar to the new minis that the minis we just had. Where every other mini had "Mutations are caused by warp exposure and out of the receiver's control" combined with the Sorcerer's fluff of "He controls the power of the warp", my guess would be that his relative lack of mutations is to show his mastery over the warp. Just a guess.

Right now, I think this is a nice release. It might feel a little more matter-of-fact, but how much of that is because we've known whats coming for a long time? If you're not bowled over by the surprise then you might only have yourself to blame.

Modelwise I agree it's odd that no troops were released, but if we do end up with having everything by the end of October complaining about this in front of, say a Tyranid player, is not going to get you any sympathy.

I also think that making final judgements based on images, even 360 rotations, is likely to end up in changed minds very quickly. Something that looks weird or silly on screen can really jump out at you when you've got the full-sized presence in front of you. I suspect the Heldrake might be one of these. Also, reading White Dwarf it didn't sound that bad, the baleflame seemed to be killing a good number of marines while it also Vector Striked a Dreadnought.

The Maulerfiends also sound good, 12" move and two of them with Lasher Whips might be able to really cut down on the number of attacks coming back at that. Even one of them has such a huge base that this wouldn't be too bad.

So yeah, I'm liking the look of things.

Lastly I think the Warpsmith is great, a really good alternative to the Techmarines. There's obviously a shared heritage, but it's very much it's own model. The tentacle heads have a load of character, while I like the cloak of sockets although I think he's missing a USB port :P

The logic is that people who are unskilled at converting(Me for example) and those who are simply too lazy to convert because they want to get in and play(Let's say Bob) would be more inclined to Cultists to make things easier. Now, you mentioned that Forgeworld does have its own Cultist minis. That is very true. But the easiest way by far to build a new army(Say if someone didn't have an army or someone just wanted to build a first/another Chaos army), DV does look very appealing. People are buying it left and right and some are buying more than one copy. It provides a new easy. feel for Chaos minis and you can use the entire box for a Chaos army. You can't say that for anyone building a DA army as the Chaos units would be more than a little noticeable in a Loyalist army. Right now, DV is on a selling spree simply because of this fact. It's the only place to get new and different Basic Chaos Marines, the Cultists and the Hellbrute. And a new Chaos Lord. Although that new Aspiring Champion is a very suitable enough replacement for that. And the Sorcerer, well I believe the comment was "It's a throwback to the older minis." From what I hear, the older minis were more similar to the new minis that the minis we just had. Where every other mini had "Mutations are caused by warp exposure and out of the receiver's control" combined with the Sorcerer's fluff of "He controls the power of the warp", my guess would be that his relative lack of mutations is to show his mastery over the warp. Just a guess.

I'm not a master of coversion and I can assure you can get good cultists by adding weapons and equipement to many fantasy models :P

Of course DV looks very appealing, I bought there of them ;) , but currently I don't want to spend 79€ just to have 20 cultists (currently all other models would be redundant).

Right now I have 60 cultists from DV and 10 I converted. I suspect 70 cultists are not enough and with about 20€ I can get 10 models I can turn into cultists with few weapon additions.

Cultists should come from many corners of the Galaxy and variety it's always a nice thing.

Anyway I can assure you don't have to be a master of conversion to get some "low cost" cultist. I turned 10 fantasy handgunners into cultists in very few minutes and I'm not a "master of conversions" ;)

When GW will release the Cultists box I'll be very happy to buy it.

Right now, I think this is a nice release. It might feel a little more matter-of-fact, but how much of that is because we've known whats coming for a long time? If you're not bowled over by the surprise then you might only have yourself to blame.

Modelwise I agree it's odd that no troops were released, but if we do end up with having everything by the end of October complaining about this in front of, say a Tyranid player, is not going to get you any sympathy.

I also think that making final judgements based on images, even 360 rotations, is likely to end up in changed minds very quickly. Something that looks weird or silly on screen can really jump out at you when you've got the full-sized presence in front of you. I suspect the Heldrake might be one of these. Also, reading White Dwarf it didn't sound that bad, the baleflame seemed to be killing a good number of marines while it also Vector Striked a Dreadnought.

The Maulerfiends also sound good, 12" move and two of them with Lasher Whips might be able to really cut down on the number of attacks coming back at that. Even one of them has such a huge base that this wouldn't be too bad.

So yeah, I'm liking the look of things.

Lastly I think the Warpsmith is great, a really good alternative to the Techmarines. There's obviously a shared heritage, but it's very much it's own model. The tentacle heads have a load of character, while I like the cloak of sockets although I think he's missing a USB port :P

I think I know where the USB port is...

Right now I have 60 cultists from DV and 10 I converted. I suspect 70 cultists are not enough and with about 20€ I can get 10 models I can turn into cultists with few weapon additions.

Cultists should come from many corners of the Galaxy and variety it's always a nice thing.

I have 40 ( 20 ccw, 20 shooty) and thought that was perhaps enough. Goinjg to have a crack at converting duplicates and it shouldn't be too difficult though I suspect the shooty cultists will be tougher to do than the CCW ones.

I'm not a master of coversion and I can assure you can get good cultists by adding weapons and equipement to many fantasy models

Thats my plan. I even have some Skaven from the IoB set that I could convert and mingle with my stock cultists should I need more than 40 and don't have the cash.

Flaggelants would also made decent Cultists. ;)

I think i've changed my mind about the Forgefiend ( and to an extent the Mauler) after viewing decent images and the 360 views.

A bit of a U-turn on my behalf but I suspected that continued viewing of the new Chaos stuff would eventually corrupt me! ;)

Thought I was starting to like the Drake too untill everyone decided to dubb it the 'Helchicken' :P

Now I can't help but imagine it as some stange,otherworldy Daemonic poultry!

Mixing Raptor sprues with the bog standard marines is my plan for building my troops and also a helping of Pre-Heresy parts to reinforce the fact that these are marines wearing very old armour.

Cheers,

Mike.

I've wated over a year for this? I'm crushed I'm that dissapointed.

I'd seen that reject of a power ranger Zord, the two clumps of dated modelling fiends, the remodelled space marine techmarine and clown like warp claws a week a go and hoped against hope that the text of the stuff released with the dex would make up for it. Holy crap was I wrong.

I will admit the raptors and the maul fiend aren't as bad as I first thought and outside the dark vengeance stuff probably the only models worth buying. If gw are just releasing our already existing range in fine cast I can't see me buying the codex.

How old are the cult troops and Khârn, typhus etc? All they can do for us is rerelease them with air bubbles?

I'm quite liking the forge fiend and the heldrake, I've ordered these and the normal codex from wayland games.

I'm not that impressed with the other releases, the champion does look good and go well with the chosen from DV (which I should probably get around to assembling).

Looking forward to receiving the codex, just for a new taste of chaos (really hoping I can make a nurgle themed army without only having plaguemarines, a prince/lord and vehicles).

Looking forward to receiving the codex, just for a new taste of chaos (really hoping I can make a nurgle themed army without only having plaguemarines, a prince/lord and vehicles).

Yeah, I was getting quite bored with variations on that configuration being pretty much the only way to compete.

I'm not a master of coversion and I can assure you can get good cultists by adding weapons and equipement to many fantasy models

Thats my plan. I even have some Skaven from the IoB set that I could convert and mingle with my stock cultists should I need more than 40 and don't have the cash.

Flaggelants would also made decent Cultists. :)

A lizardman arm on one of the bolt-necked pyschos works really well :)

The Flagellant flails are great for quick weapon swaps, and everything else in that kit can find a place in the army. I've got bells hanging off the chains of my Hellbrute, a book hanging from the sarcophagus and the parchment standard on the book. All really quick, easy things to add.

Oh, and I noticed in their battle report lead-up that the Heldrake's baleflame is a Str 6 Ap 3 Torrent. So pretty nice, gives up anti-air for pretty nasty anti-infantry. Can I also say, that when I heard about Ectoplasm cannons I didn't really like the name; Ectoplasma though I like, it's a nice step in the silly puns that hang round the game

For me, its all about 1 thing..

2 landraiders

4 rhinos

80 zerkers

Khârn..

(ok, 87 things)

If the new codex will help me field something like that.. then my years of wanting/waiting to be able to field massive khorn armies will be justified <_<

I think this Chaos release will become a byword for disappointing and ill conceived releases.

I was very excited after seeing DV and placed a preorder straight away, not because I needed the models but they were so nice I didn't want to miss out. I will not be buying anything from this first release. The fiends are awful, they do look like dinobots, with the forgefiend being the ugly ginger child of the release. New raptors are ok but imo worse than the old ones [glad I bought them in metal when I did]. Mutilators are laughable, they look like a child made them out of playdo, didn't think it was possible to look any worse than the shooty Obliterators but they managed it. Dragon is ok as a mini on its own but for me doesn't fit the aesthetic at all. Dark apostle and Warpsmith are both too busy.

I really want to like these, and keep returning to the pictures in an attempt to convince myself they're worth the money, but they're not.

Forge World here I come, two Decimators and a Hell Blade please.

Personally I love the fact that there are such a massive amount of whiners. That means they will most likely never play chaos, or at least not for a while! I kinda like playing the underdog, always have! :)

...on the other hand I think many(if not most) of them are hypocrites and will end up with a chaos codex despite their claims of the opposite... :P

Yeah, more true Chaos Worshipers, less WAAC people.

As a transformers fan, I am appalled by the fact that people are negatively referring to the new daemon engines as dinobots. The dinobots are among the most bad ass transformer teams! I personally really like those models, and if I ever had the money I'd build a list revolving around the "dinobots" and have them all converted and named after each character.

I don't like the Maulers but it's the Daemon Engines I can't stand. Epic had a whole bunch of Engines with quality imagery, but for some reason 40K doesn't quite live up to that quality. Ever since the Defiler, I've just not been impressed.

I think it's the lack of flesh that bothers me.

Anyway, I personally love the new HQ models! I look forward to crossing swords with my corrupted kin.

Basically, the epic daemon engines are too damn big for a 40k game. Those things are for apocalypse battles, and there many of them already have rules and models. I have trouble seeing a plaguetower in a 40k game. It would probably take up half the army points, most likely be terribly hard to kill and almost certanly have an underwhelming firepower for it's point cost...

These are small-time daemon engines that are practical enough to include in even small skirmishes...

I know how big they are. My post was talking about about the quality of the models living up to the quality of the imagery of Chaos. And the scale isn't the problem because those Epic models were tiny and the 40K ones are tiny.

Honestly though, GW have failed to marry up the imagery of their books and stories and their Chaos Marines with their Daemon Engines in 40K. Look at all the fleshy mutation and cybernetics 40K has; yet we have neither hair nor hide of a cyber daemon in entire range, except for the Soul Grinder which remains a lone act.

The new Chaos Daemon engines have no flesh which makes them seem lifeless robots as opposed to infernal machines. Ironically, Necrons have more personality than Chaos Marine daemon engines, which is upsetting really.

The new Chaos Daemon engines have no flesh which makes them seem lifeless robots as opposed to infernal machines.

Seriously though, have you actually looked at the models?

They have more flesh than a defiler has, or any of the khorne FW ones, or the decimator! Yes yes, GW does a crappy job at painting them so you can hardly see it, but it's there. I also think they could have done a better job at the head on it(would have loved to be able to open the mouth), but I'll most likely be using the triple plasma anyway.

Now Idaho, I will give you that there is no hair on the new daemon engines. And that there is a dramatic lack of flesh. They do seem to have a more of a mecha-organic feel rather than a straight cybernetic feel. Not all daemon engines have to be mechanical. Not all have to be organic. So why do all have to be cybernetic?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy that we'r getting new war machines and the Warpsmith makes me happy. I probably will pick up the codex to show my loyalty but come on we all know gw can do better! I think that's what dissapointes me the most.

No new havocs, oblitirators or special characters. Stuck with the same old Khârn, typhus, luscious and Ahriman not to mention this looks like the first dex since before the last chaos codex not to release a brand new character.

Archived