Right, so still weeding out the repeaty bits.

It's not bad. Though you really do seem to have the impression that communication in 40K is a lot more practical than it actually is. The same scenario might work better with the on-world Marines petitioning, then informing the Chapter Master when the off-world Marines return.

Yeah, I see that. Right now I'm going on the difference between Warp travel and communication. The Hounds have left, perhaps a subsector or two away. What I've read suggests that kind of communication takes hours to receive, on a good day. What I'm not clear on is how long that would take to travel, and if any communication could be received while in the Warp. Main reason for it all being: I wasn't planning on having the on-world Marines escape the purge, so there'd be no one left to tell what went down when the Chapter returned.

Cut the bit about 'acute senses' tracking, and other trimming ongoing.

I don't think you can communicate when you're in the Warp.

As to travel time, I recall it being in the 6e rulebook but can't find anything about it. Subsectors vary in size anyway, though. There's a passage somewhere which talks about how a particular Warp trip has a varying time - somewhere between five seconds and five hundred years, with the average being a couple of weeks. But the Warp's unpredictable and some places are easier to travel to than others, so even that's not really great as a reference. Travel would be anything from seconds to years, tending (I think) toward several days or a week.

As a rule, the Warp is an ocean, and travel times should be commensurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

@Octavulg

Okay, those are more or less the lines I reasoned along. Its a longer trip, giving the war back home longer to devolve, while perhaps the main body of the Hounds drop out of the warp for a few hours or days now and again to get a report until finally they stop receiving them.