The Deathwatch

Shuggnuggath

Hey Mister Wolf, were you the Space Wolves player that trounced my Thousand Sons in the first game :P

There is still a command squad and some assault marines left to get done sometime. I also want to do some inquisition acolyte teams (counts as scouts). That way I can use full stern guard teams plus Pedro to make them scoring and scouts to get 2 token troop squads. Might use Blood Angel Codex as main with SM allies, opens up lots of options for command squads and assault marine troops plus Stormravens.

PS: The Storm Wardens pad and 99% of the others are all greenstuffed.

• 6 months later...

I have recently joined an Escalation league at the Vanguard games store here in Bristol. I decided to update my army to use the Blood Angel codex. This gave me the incentive to finish an Assault squad I have had half done for ages as well as make a 'scouts squad' to be my Inquisition Acolytes.

The scouts are led by a Black Consuls and the Assault squad by one of the Lamenters. The rest of the assault squad is comprised of a Raptor, Doom Eagle, Raven Guard, Howling Griffon, Consecrator, White Scars, Flesh Tearer, Black Dragon and Red Templar. I have also added an apothecary from the Iron Hands.

gallery_61128_7829_12756.jpg

gallery_61128_7829_106974.jpg

gallery_61128_7829_127115.jpg

gallery_61128_7829_46867.jpg

gallery_61128_7829_35552.jpg

Absolutely breathtaking! I was thinking to myself (as someone who, were I to play space marines, would never be able to choose a single chapter) how freaking cool an entire army of Deathwatch would be. You sir went above and beyond my wildest imagination.

/applause

I love this army! happy.png Each Marine has their own little touch that makes them a character amongst a group, which can be hard to do right. I especially love the Rainbow Warrior and Iron Hand apothecary happy.png I don't say this often, but this topic is truly full of win! happy.png

Any tips you can give for the gs work on the shoulder guards would be greatly appreciated happy.png

I love this thread, im working on a deathwatch army of my own (deathwing) and was struggling with ways to make the army pop and this has really helped! Hopeing to see more soon. How would you do scouts? thats a question ive been trying to wrap my brain around......

Thanks all for the kind words.

For scouts I use an assortment of old necromunda and guard models to represent inquisition acolytes (like Dark Heresy). The acolytes are lead in battle by a space marine scout, the squad sergeant. 

@ Aquilanus 

For the greenstuff chapter badges I start with a small flat circle of greenstuff on the shoulder pad. I then shape it by clipping away with the sharp edge of the sculpting tool, to form the basic outline of the chapter badge. Once the basic outline is formed I then add the surface detail by manipulating the greenstuff with the sculpting tool until I am satisfied with the results. 

When I paint the marines I find that after the black undercoat the first thing I do is paint the shoulder pad to its highlighted state. That really helps me get into the mindset of that particular chapter for doing the rest of the marine. I found the Lexicanum site a great place to pick up some flavour for each of the different marine chapters and tried to reflect that on the models themselves.

Thanks all for the kind words.

For scouts I use an assortment of old necromunda and guard models to represent inquisition acolytes (like Dark Heresy). The acolytes are lead in battle by a space marine scout, the squad sergeant.

@ Aquilanus

For the greenstuff chapter badges I start with a small flat circle of greenstuff on the shoulder pad. I then shape it by clipping away with the sharp edge of the sculpting tool, to form the basic outline of the chapter badge. Once the basic outline is formed I then add the surface detail by manipulating the greenstuff with the sculpting tool until I am satisfied with the results.

When I paint the marines I find that after the black undercoat the first thing I do is paint the shoulder pad to its highlighted state. That really helps me get into the mindset of that particular chapter for doing the rest of the marine. I found the Lexicanum site a great place to pick up some flavour for each of the different marine chapters and tried to reflect that on the models themselves.

Thanks for replying happy.png I take it you leave the gs to start setting first, so that it's easier to work with? Or do you just have at it straight away?

Archived