No DA till April

Spaced Hulk

The Dakka Dakka thread has Stickmonkey at 60% correct.... 50+33=83, 50/83=.60241 or 60.21% And they are counting as wrong some things he retracted after he got better info.... BTW, this puts you at 0% accuracy... :devil:

The Dakka thread is fairly new and doesn't look back very far. Stick, by his own admission, gets stuff wrong all the time. I was hesitant even to put him at 50% accuracy, given his history. Not to say I don't like him or don't value his rumors; I do. He's usually not far off even when he's wrong (cf. Summer of Fliers).

I suspect it's near or very near completion but there are issues with it, either in rules/gameplay or development/production of new models to accompany it. This kind of stuff you never usually hear about through the usual rumour mills as it's hushed up.

If I was involved in 40K marketing, new codexes would have been ready for both armies in the DV starter box. If that were not possible - then certainly within a month or two of its release.

We have one (Chaos), just need its counterpart :devil:

i am with you isiah...

if you carefully look at the history of the 6th edition release you can notice a sudden "black hole" in it...

we start having the WD spine... month after mnonth it was composing a DA master with plasma blaster and poer sword...

then 6th edition BGB released in june 30th with a cover showing DAs in battle against CSM (in the back cover)...

then the DV boxed set with DA chapter insignia in the front anc limited edition with additional DA chaplain...

the august WD before DV had a DA librarian in fight with a CSM as the last image announcing DV in september

in the september WD the cover to show DV was a DA and the last image of the WD had a DA master announcing DA codex maybe???

Then the black hole came...

sudden change of WD format... with the DA spine stopped before completion...

the CSM came out and ANY info on DA disappeared like the DA were not on the cover of BGB and DV...

This leads me to think that something wrong must be happened inside GW about DA release...

if DA were meant to be out maybe in october with WoC in november, hobbit in december, and CSM in january...

now follow me...

the WD spine should be completed within the end of this year... with the full DAmaster image (the same the opens "RULES" section of the BGB)...

in january with CSM release WD should change his format for the new year with a big issue about CSM...

if the stopped the WD spine to release CSM in october with the WD meant to be the january issue dont you think that something wrong happaned???

IMHO we will see DA a lot further than April... i guess that GW managers are pushing the GD team to release the best codex possible for the DV and 6th edition mauin army and mr ward is not able to follow the JJ BG to make a decent list... or maybe they have issues producing models...

Abpout DA models release i had a interesting chat on MSN with a friend of mine who knows a guy informed about GW (but he cannot tell me more cause GW is tightening the reins on rumors so he can only have confidential friendly chats with his informer)... he told me that the october release that a guy on an italian forum said (i am italian and i know that guy) was right but GW had problems wioth DA rules and models so they put out CSM in a rush..

You can notice that CSM is a rushed release... most models are finecast remakes of existing models and there is just an handful of new kits...

so i dont put any hope ona january or february or march or april release... i think we could see Da even in one year or more...

until then i dont paint anything and i dont play 40k...

after giving me the bad codex we have now "worst codex ever in 40k history (worst than demons or tau or bt even if all three armies players claim to be the worst)" i will wait GW to give me the codex i deserve for being a dedicated GW customer since 1992 and 40k player since 1996...

my two cents

It could mean that some glaring inconsistencies were found during the play test, and GW does not want to go down that rabbit hole again by alienating the DA fan base. Possibly it is better for them to re-assess and re-fit, than rush to print.

It could mean that some glaring inconsistencies were found during the play test, and GW does not want to go down that rabbit hole again by alienating the DA fan base. Possibly it is better for them to re-assess and re-fit, than rush to print.

Call me a pessimist but I dont think so. Lets hope you are right though.

Call me a pessimist but I dont think so. Lets hope you are right though.

No you're absolutely right. If we're being pushed back to April it's because they feel they can make more money off these other releases. Or something has gone horribly wrong in production.

Either way I'm still hoping for a January release :P

Pardon this conjecture of mine, but I believe this indicates a falling out within the inner circle of Nottingham.

I would wager that, as Jervis Johnson left Matthew Ward in charge of producing the Dark Angels codex to handle more important affairs, the latter has began to grow discontent over the former's distancing. Lack of communication has no doubt affected this business relationship of theirs, to the point that Ward has entertained ideas of abandonment to a feral, embittered fan base who watch his every move with suspicion and poorly disguised hatred. It could very well be that as Johnson returned from whatever affairs kept him away, he discovered Ward had riddled the new Codex with heresies of the worst kind and took the liberty of green-lighting the Codex for printing.

Should these events have come to pass, both men will have become embroiled in a legal battle of fratricidal nature, a conflict that will shatter the stagnant status quo of Games Workshop, as the pair will duel for the heart and soul of the First Legion in 6e, and from which one will return broken, but neither shall truly be a victor. Meanwhile, others will have to pick up the pieces and forever live with the stigma of having printed a codex twice, and seek in the darkest corners of the gaming stores for the copies of this heretical codex that should have never existed.

Good catch, Archangel! Thank you, by the way: with the above contribution, you helped me quite a bit on a fluff-related matter that's central to a story I'm writing (and have been writing... for a long time...). ;)

Pardon this conjecture of mine, but I believe this indicates a falling out within the inner circle of Nottingham.

I would wager that, as Jervis Johnson left Matthew Ward in charge of producing the Dark Angels codex to handle more important affairs, the latter has began to grow discontent over the former's distancing. Lack of communication has no doubt affected this business relationship of theirs, to the point that Ward has entertained ideas of abandonment to a feral, embittered fan base who watch his every move with suspicion and poorly disguised hatred. It could very well be that as Johnson returned from whatever affairs kept him away, he discovered Ward had riddled the new Codex with heresies of the worst kind and took the liberty of green-lighting the Codex for printing.

Should these events have come to pass, both men will have become embroiled in a legal battle of fratricidal nature, a conflict that will shatter the stagnant status quo of Games Workshop, as the pair will duel for the heart and soul of the First Legion in 6e, and from which one will return broken, but neither shall truly be a victor. Meanwhile, others will have to pick up the pieces and forever live with the stigma of having printed a codex twice, and seek in the darkest corners of the gaming stores for the copies of this heretical codex that should have never existed.

I see what you did there.

Life imitating art, you might say. :sweat:

embittered fan base who watch his every move with suspicion and poorly disguised hatred.

I don't know where you get the disguised part from, the guys at my shop don't disguise it at all. Personally I don't know what the big deal is, but then I haven't read one of his codexes from cover to cover before. If he really is writeing our new dex, it'll be the first one I read.

Good catch, Archangel! Thank you, by the way: with the above contribution, you helped me quite a bit on a fluff-related matter that's central to a story I'm writing (and have been writing... for a long time...). ;)

I'm happy to be of assistance. I'm terribly tempted to search through fluff and see if I can make a whole calendar list to use for special "anniversary" games.

conflict that will shatter the stagnant status quo of Games Workshop, as the pair will duel for the heart and soul of the First Legion in 6e, and from which one will return broken, but neither shall truly be a victor. Meanwhile, others will have to pick up the pieces and forever live with the stigma of having printed a codex twice, and seek in the darkest corners of the gaming stores for the copies of this heretical codex that should have never existed.

So, the next codex WILL be a Fallen Angels' codex?! Yaaay!!!

I hope JJ isn't writing our next codex. He did enough for us in the last one. He stripped our army of any flavor it used to have. Our ravenwing used to have jink saves. He took those out. Thanks to the authors of 6th (one of which was Ward) they're back. Unfortunately, every biker has them now. And if you think he didn't change anything about our fluff, remember that he removed several special characters. Also, not every member of the Deathwing wore TDA. Our veteran sergeants were members of the Deathwing too. Fluff changes with each new codex. As REO Speedwagon sang, "Roll with the changes."

This situation DA are living is born from 10 years of bad work on one of the most iconic arnies of 40k.

We all know what DA are for the 40k BG. The first Legion, the Fall of Caliban, the hunt for the Fallen, the Feud with SW...

We had a decent Codex in 2nd edition shared with the fellow BA...

Then 3rd Edition and the era of the mini dexes... Out codex wasnt the best army to play due to high cost of all the iconic units (DW and RW) but the Greenwing was fun enough to play...

Thanks to the efforts of Shadowguard and the guys of this board, GW have to Andy Hoare the task to dic the screwed parte of the DA codex...

Then with 4th Edition and codex:eldar in 2006 we saw the change from the old way to write dexes to the one we still play...

DA were the second one of this series and the first SM one of the new generation...

The codex was underpowered but ad it was meant that all the following dexes should be that way we accepted the change...

Then 5th Edition and C:SM came out... And we realized something was wrong... All wargear and units in C:SM was better than in DA but GW told us that was meant DA to have different wargear...

We had some FAQ that fixed a couple of units but we needed a revision like we had in 3rd Edition...

So we waited for better times...

Then the WD spine cane out... New hope for DA...

The rumors of DA in the 6th Edition starter box made us happy and so the cover of the BGB...

And then... In october... THE BLACK HOLE...

DA disappeared again...

I wonder what is really happening at GW HQ...

Great reading all the "what is happening at GW's HQ...wait for the fight after the commercials" hehe

I've been putting of building greenmarines for about 2 years, because "the dex is coming out in 6 months".

Tired of that... I'll build them however I want and if I have to redo stuff...I'll simply buy the odd pieces, build a few more marines and call it a day :)

My thoughts:

Although it's tempting to start crafting conspiracy theories about GW's release schedule, I think the reason is actually quite simple: economics. GW is a business, and they want to ensure a steady, consistant cash flow throughout each financial year. By spacing out Codex (and other big releases like the Hobbit) it could be argued that they're maximising sales for each release and ensuring that their own product lines don't overly compete with each other. Customers have only a limited amount of disposable income (especially for what is a pretty niche and luxury hobby like ours) and I think GW is well aware of that. I suspect what they're trying to avoid is the situation where a player who might be tempted to start a Chaos marine army (for example) decides against it because they know the Dark Angels codex is being released the following month.

That's probably why there's been such a rumour blackout over the last year or so. If we don't know the details of forthcoming Codices, we can't plan to save our money for a particular product, and are more likely to spend it on current releases.

Sorry but i don't see any rumor blackout... All I see is the same "credible" sources, claiming that the codex will come next month...for 2 years in a row. Just like they did with chaos. Its was sent in the warehouses one year ago...So yeah...

The only rumors I halfbelieve are the kit rumors about the plasma predator and the inner circle kit, those make sense and its a DA wet dream so why not include them even if the rumormonger just conjured them out of thin air.

EDIT: And just because I got carried away Ill add this. If they want to release a codex with great fluff (thats what concerns me to be honest. The mins have turned out to be an expensive modeling hobby for me so bye bye table top) great models (I am sorry but I dont want anything the likes of thunderwolf cav, stormravens or dreadknights) and for it to be playable and enjoyable not over the top, I am willing to wait more for it.

Archived