No DA till April

Spaced Hulk

Typically, when you go through the trouble of announcing "2012 is the 25th Anniversary of Warhammer 40,000!", you try and do something to commemorate that. 25 years is no easy feat. Look around to try and find the same games that were out 25 years ago. You won't find many. This is a rare milestone in any game company. I expected at least some kind of special edition White Dwarf, or a unique Space Marine diorama. Maybe a bigger push for more then just one codex and 6th Edition. Anything more than what we got.

You would think GW would do something to celebrate their golden cash cow and maybe raise it up onto an altar or something. We got a special edition WD for the 300th Issue (UK). Wasn't there another special issue in there somewhere? So much for the year of 40K.

No easy feat?

I managed to do the exact same thing last january. :)

But yeah, one would expect a bit more.

And getting a codex this year (or jan, doesn't matter too much to me) would really make me go like this (caution, ponies).

At least we got some new models this year through that DV box (I was fortunate to find a limited edition in a local store).

GW did do stuff. They released a commemorative model, released a new edition of the game, a flyer wave, a new codex, a codex update, necron second wave, and quite a few other models. Additionally, the whole hobby got a boost with a wider range of paints. To say that GW did nothing for 40k this year is a bit of an exaggeration. Could they have done more? Sure, but at least they did something. You know what Capcom gave Mega Man fans for their 25th anniversary? A ten disc soundtrack and a social game.

Yeah, I forgot about the commemorative model. So there ya go! We got something. The rest of that stuff...

6th Edition was coming 25th Anniversary or not. The flyer wave was rumored to hit the year prior and was even advertised briefly by GW before it was abruptly pulled with no explanation by GW. We received one, just one, new 40K codex when we usually see 3-4 in a year. Necron second wave was going to happen anyways, along with the long, long overdue "new" models. These "new models" players had been waiting for literally YEARS to come out, and rumor has it that GW wouldn't/couldn't release them due to the Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit. The new paints came out of nowhere, and left a lot of hobbyists scratching their heads- what was wrong with the old paints? The final comparison made was for a video game. Apples and oranges.

So yeah, GW did do something- they gave us a commemorative Space Marine model. ;)

Um, so it's the 25th anniversary. So what?

"Oh my god! 40k has been around more than 24 years and less than 26! We must flood the release schedule with 40k! Fantasy? Losers! Hobbit? Losers!"

When you get to a nice round anniversary like 25 or 50, you throw a pleasant little party, break out some champagne, call it a day. I'm not sure why everyone was expecting some massive year of unending 40k releases. 25 years is really not that big a deal.

I wasn't expecting unending releases. It just seems to me a little lackluster with them toting it to being the 25th anniversary/the year of 40k. I just expected a little bit more. Another codex and whatnot. Not even a DA codex but another codex. That's all I would have liked.

Also I do realize there was a bit from GW this year. Being that FW and BL are part of GW. I just thought there would be a little bit more of 40k directly as being said at least another Codex.

When you deal companies like GW, it doesn't hurt to keep some lube and hemoroid pillow with you... When they screw over you, its less painful. Oh, well, I am going with flow and getting 4th edition codex finally. I want to play with Sons of Lion finally and I don't want to wait till April.

When you deal companies like GW, it doesn't hurt to keep some lube and hemoroid pillow with you... When they screw over you, its less painful. Oh, well, I am going with flow and getting 4th edition codex finally. I want to play with Sons of Lion finally and I don't want to wait till April.

The Lion has no doubt spasmed the vestige of a smile at these statements. Go forth my brother, and regret all the choices in life that have made you pick up the 4th Edition codex. Know that others before you *cough*me*cough* had done so with the same goal in mind, and that you are not alone.

GW did do stuff. They released a commemorative model, released a new edition of the game, a flyer wave, a new codex, a codex update, necron second wave, and quite a few other models. Additionally, the whole hobby got a boost with a wider range of paints. To say that GW did nothing for 40k this year is a bit of an exaggeration. Could they have done more? Sure, but at least they did something. You know what Capcom gave Mega Man fans for their 25th anniversary? A ten disc soundtrack and a social game.

Yeah, I forgot about the commemorative model. So there ya go! We got something. The rest of that stuff...

6th Edition was coming 25th Anniversary or not. The flyer wave was rumored to hit the year prior and was even advertised briefly by GW before it was abruptly pulled with no explanation by GW. We received one, just one, new 40K codex when we usually see 3-4 in a year. Necron second wave was going to happen anyways, along with the long, long overdue "new" models. These "new models" players had been waiting for literally YEARS to come out, and rumor has it that GW wouldn't/couldn't release them due to the Chapterhouse Studios lawsuit. The new paints came out of nowhere, and left a lot of hobbyists scratching their heads- what was wrong with the old paints? The final comparison made was for a video game. Apples and oranges.

So yeah, GW did do something- they gave us a commemorative Space Marine model. :devil:

Sure, 6th was coming. It could have came next year, or the year after. 7th edition is probably coming too... The point is, though 6th was bound to come eventually, I'm sure GW put a little thought into its release and decided the 25th anniversary was a good time. I have never seen 4 codexes released in a year. Usually, it's 2 and occasionally 3.

6th edition isn't just an updated rule set, it's a different beast when compared to previous editions. It added rules for flyers and a new slot on the FOC for fortifications. You mean that terrain I bought now has rules? Yay!

I guess everyone expected something flashier. Sure, another codex would be nice, but we did get a lot this year. Remember, it could have been worse.

I would also like to add some of the artwork in the BGB is gorgeous. ;)

Honestly though? No, there are some yes, but I believe the repetition is killing me. Both in artwork and text. There can be so many ways to describe a corpse that sits on a throne though.

Blasphemy! You can -never-, -ever- become tired of describing the Emperor's sacrifice for Mankind!

Let me clarify that, though I don't think 25th anniversary is a big deal, I do think it's shameful how slowly Games Workshop updates their codexes. There SHOULD be 4 codexes every year, as a matter of course. You shouldn't have to wait five years for your army to be updated.

Archived