No DA till April

Spaced Hulk

If the DA's are held off til April, I think a lot of the "newer" folks to the DA will lose interest in them. Honestly, I'm not going to wait another 6 months to add to my army. I'm sure not that much will really change after all, and really by then my army will be "complete".

Basically, my army will be 3 Tac Squads, 1 Dev Squad, a couple of Deathwing Squads, Vindi's and an Ares. Plus a few bikes and speeders. From all the rumours, what will really be different? A flyer? Gunslingers? a few different weapon options? Big deal. Will it really change things that much from the way they are now?

Tacs will still be tacs. Dev's will be Dev's. Deathwing will be Deathwing. You see where I'm going with this I hope!

I'm wondering if I will buy much more than my DV x 2, termite squads, attack bikes and dev squad. I can do a 1750 list and then I might look into something else. I don't have a lot of money to spend on things that might lose importance, and I'm also worried about vehicles in 6th. At the end of the day it comes down to money, I'm usually just buy enough for a few lists and leave it.

On the other hand, isn't this constant rumour mill getting boring? Isn't it mostly hearsay with actual proof?

Tacs will still be tacs. Dev's will be Dev's. Deathwing will be Deathwing. You see where I'm going with this I hope!

Actually I do, but the way you phrase its like, lets ditch all dexes and play ultra marines.

Why? Because they've gone the longest without a new codex?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/b0/Codex_Ultramarines_FCover.jpg/220px-Codex_Ultramarines_FCover.jpg

Adding my nod of appreciation and +1 to Master Sheol. Everything he wrote, is pretty much spot on from the eyes of one from the older days.

- Nevertheless.... I will stand behind my decision: Unless there will be any form of "solid rumors" 'til the end of the year, that the Dark Angels will be coming, I will keep my boys on a hiatus 'til then, and every purchase on hold.

- Shadowguard has kept our faith strong throughout the years, and it's something I'll forever hold in-debt during the Eye of Terror Campaign, when we were supreme. Same goes for other venerable Dark Angels Moderators(such as Isiah), and founders of B&C. I will continue my faithful service, but I will not do anything until the lines are prepared from GW's end, that either it's the 30k Dark Angels army, or it's the 40k 6th edition Dark Angels Army.

Frankly, due to some reason I get the feeling, that if the 6th edition won't be this year, it won't be any month in the first 6 months at least, so I'll be hoping that the 30k theme will be setting off nicely(and we'll be seeing our Lion in action)...

Meh, I've stuck with DA codex regardless (and started when it was already considered subpar) - So, I can wait. Truth be told though, I don't play all that often.

I'm certainly not making any big purchases until I see a new codex. I have what I need to get by now. In addition, as much as I love 30K - I simply can not justify the costs and doubt the small group of friends I play with will have any desire to try it. I may break down an buy some FW stuff in the future I suppose though but at the end of the day, 40K is not my only hobby (gotta save some dough for home brewing!).

Side note Reynolds, we're actually on the 4th ed. Dark Angel Codex - so actually waiting on the 5th - suppose it gets confusing with the 6th ed. rule book.

What does get me mad is the fact that by all accounts the codex is already written.

Actually I do, but the way you phrase its like, lets ditch all dexes and play ultra marines.

Why? Because they've gone the longest without a new codex?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/b/b0/Codex_Ultramarines_FCover.jpg/220px-Codex_Ultramarines_FCover.jpg

The imperium as a whole is the oldest without a codex. Remeber codex imperialis?

It's the Dark Angel codex for 6th edition. Codex Dark Angels 6E. That's the only sensible way to do versioning of codexes in my opinion.

...Anyway, just for fun, the original iPhone was released in June 2007 by Apple, a company that GW likes to think has the same business model. If I remember correctly, the Dark Angel codex was released the same month. Since then, the iPhone has been updated 6 or 7 times, I think, each time getting better and better, and the iPad was also introduced, originally an offshoot of the iPhone, but now a major player and game changer in its own right.

Meanwhile, GW it seems is waiting a few more months before the next DA codex is to be released, to what will no doubt be mixed reviews.

Not a fair comparison, I suppose, but I still feel like pointing and laughing. And then crying. I've very little agreement with those who think GW's release schedule timing is just about right.

I suppose taking in to consideration that some of us are from the days of 87's Roque Trader, some from the 2nd edition of 94, and some from the 2000's/2010's.

- We have a broad spectrum of devoted fans, so pleasing everyone will be harsh for GW, as I do have to agree, that including Chaos we have some of the "most demanding fans out there", for we had once a great book(twice in my opinion). So keeping everyone pleased should be a tall order from GW.

- Frankly, at this point I'm starting to lose my interest in my own demands. Bring what may, just make sure that there will be Gav Thorpe's hand in the lore writing, and the rules can be what ever may.

- As for the reference to "6th edition Big Green Book", well... Just as in Fantasy Battle, some editions were skipped out with some armybooks, and that's why they are always quoted by the edition they were released in, not the amount of armybooks(codex's) there has been, for Fantasy Battle is in its 8th edition, it'll be harsh on keeping track of all the books, same for 40k. Hence the "6th edition term I, and many use".

- Homage to the GW, for keeping these lines active for around 30 years now.

Barf! I didn't mean it that way at all! :) (no offence to UM Players, it's all in fun)

But I guess I could've phrased it differently. I suppose what I was trying to get across is that, well, I'm just getting tired of waiting (and really, I've only been a DA player for just this year (2012)). And really, why should I be tired and frustrated? SM Core units aren't going to change (ie Tac and Dev's etc). And really, Deathwing can't really be changed that much aside from nixing mixed squad load-outs and maybe adding Plasma Blasters and Cannons. And Really, Ravenwing can't be changed much either, so rather than just waiting to see what comes out, I'll just keep plugging away. When and if new Codex/Models/Units come out, I'll decide whether to add them to my army or not, and make any slight changes to my existing army as needed.

I still want/hope/plan to keep my DA army unique from the others. I just hope the good folks at GW have the same goal.

Adding my nod of appreciation and +1 to Master Sheol. Everything he wrote, is pretty much spot on from the eyes of one from the older days.

- Nevertheless.... I will stand behind my decision: Unless there will be any form of "solid rumors" 'til the end of the year, that the Dark Angels will be coming, I will keep my boys on a hiatus 'til then, and every purchase on hold.

- Shadowguard has kept our faith strong throughout the years, and it's something I'll forever hold in-debt during the Eye of Terror Campaign, when we were supreme. Same goes for other venerable Dark Angels Moderators(such as Isiah), and founders of B&C. I will continue my faithful service, but I will not do anything until the lines are prepared from GW's end, that either it's the 30k Dark Angels army, or it's the 40k 6th edition Dark Angels Army.

Frankly, due to some reason I get the feeling, that if the 6th edition won't be this year, it won't be any month in the first 6 months at least, so I'll be hoping that the 30k theme will be setting off nicely(and we'll be seeing our Lion in action)...

I tell you a secret... i was mod of this DA board in 2000... ;)

The imperium as a whole is the oldest without a codex. Remeber codex imperialis?

Even better, I still got mine.

You're forgetting, of course, that Codex Imperialis included army lists for just about every army out there, and, as such, the only closest thing that can be expected is a "get you by" booklet in case a new edition appears that changes the rules by quite a bit (didn't we get something similar back with 3rd edition?).

Since then, the iPhone has been updated 6 or 7 times, I think, each time getting better and better

Yeah, just too bad that its still rubbish.

Same goes for Apple as a whole.

Barely an original invention between the lot of them.

If you want to continue this, we'd have to do so by PM, I reckon, before we derail the thread.

Even better, I still got mine.

You're forgetting, of course, that Codex Imperialis included army lists for just about every army out there, and, as such, the only closest thing that can be expected is a "get you by" booklet in case a new edition appears that changes the rules by quite a bit (didn't we get something similar back with 3rd edition?).

Remember? I aint sure I was born at that time (I was at 84).

My first contact with the DA and 40k was back in the old amiga with space hulk.

I remembered that it was the deathwing in there about 3 years ago.

Side note Reynolds, we're actually on the 4th ed. Dark Angel Codex - so actually waiting on the 5th - suppose it gets confusing with the 6th ed. rule book.

No, DA was skipped in 5th edition. You weren't allowed to play them during 5th. They were all away on some dam fool idealistic crusade or something by order of the emperor. :(

November, April, whenever. We'll all be here ready for it.

No, DA was skipped in 5th edition. You weren't allowed to play them during 5th. They were all away on some dam fool idealistic crusade or something by order of the emperor. :)

The 5th edition codex was never released due to it happening with the feast of malediction feast. Then the champion to mix his blood with the wine had already drunk scotch. The hangover is still in effect.

No, DA was skipped in 5th edition. You weren't allowed to play them during 5th. They were all away on some dam fool idealistic crusade or something by order of the emperor. ;)

The 5th edition codex was never released due to it happening with the feast of malediction feast. Then the champion to mix his blood with the wine had already drunk scotch. The hangover is still in effect.

Is that what it is? Certainly would explain how I'm feeling.

/rant ON

It still boggles my mind that a game company as large as GW, with as many different game systems, can't do more than one codex at a time? They swap systems between Fantasy, 40K, and LotR, despite the fact that (supposedly) 40K outsells the other two by a (significantly) large margin. They do splash releases of games, then abandon them and never support them again- and issues threats or legal action against anyone that tries to continue producing, improving, or supporting those games. Why?

Will GW really go almost a full year into 40K 6th Edition with only two codexes and an update (Chaos Space Marine, Dark Angels, Daemons update again)? When you look at other, smaller companies that are able to overhaul and produce their entire range in a year (looking at Privateer Press), how is it GW is so far behind? Let's not turn this into which game is better, please. The simple fact is that PP managed to write, with a gigantic public field test, Warmachine MK II rules, Hordes MK II rules, 11 army books, a bunch of new sculpts, packaging and converting over to plastic/resin all under two years! :blink: :( On top of that, PP is expanding into the board game market.

Why can't/won't GW do that? Why must we, as players wait so long for a game supplement/army book for our chosen system? It makes no sense, and any reasons people can possibly come up with will not satisfy me/convince me when another game company, Privateer Press did it, has increased sales, and is more popular than ever. Heck, Privateer Press gives previews of models months in advance with full rules! You can go to the Privateer Website and/or do a Google search and see everything that PP will be releasing over the next 12 months. GW has the cash and resources to do the exact same thing- and probably faster and maybe higher quality. Why don't they?

It's a sales and marketing gimmick left over from the 1980's. People will buy stuff no matter what the "army of the month" is. There is no evidence that this sales approach is even successful- GW has NEVER released a bunch of army books/new armies/models within a short period of time to see what the result is. In my (uneducated economics) opinion, GW is shooting itself in the foot and alienating it's player base. And it seems like they just don't care. GW closed their forums a long time ago due to the amount of complaints they received. Don't ya think maybe they should have listened to the player base? Instead, they give us a phone number where you can call a minimum wage teenager who will gladly listen to your concerns/complaints, as long as you listen to him talk about the latest White Dwarf and the subscription deal, and he would be more than happy to put your name down for an advance order of the latest models. :)

OK, /rant off.

evening brothers,

I agree with you tamwulf. It has never made sense to me either. Iv looked at several releases on a certin wargames website that showed a game (cant actually remember the name off hand) that had just released a complete rulebook and army info of two factions about a year after after the first addition and had put them up to download on line for free! Why cant gw do something similar? I wouldnt mind a more basic codex once a year with updated rules and the occasional release if it was a regular thing. It would make the wait worthwhile.

I for one will be very disapointed if these rumours turn out to be true. Iv waited a long time for a new codex and waited patiently through most of this year for one. I remember there being rumours that it would be april this year but nothing happened. I really dont see why gw cant just inform us of when it be out roughly. It would give us something to look forward to and plan accordingly.

I too think something has gone wrong. We had a load of specuation and snippets about da leading up to ths month then nothing? Either they pulled it to tweek it or they will release it soon in a surprise move. Hopefully it will be the second one!

Valid sentiments.

I wish they would be like my other favorite wargame, Field of Glory - a historical tabletop miniatures game for anyone interested in recreating the battles of Rome, Greece or the Holy Land, among others.

1 rulebook and 13 army supplements were put out within two years. Sure, they soon followed it with "Renaissance" and "Napoleonic" versions with more books, but the main game was available and everyone could have fun at the same time.

I would like to see C:DA out ASAP, but no amount of complaining will affect GW's decision. I'm not saying don't complain, just that it can't help. GW fans aren't likely to show solidarity and boycott their favorite game company. So, like farmers working in the fields we press on and do our work. We play with what we have, and the Game lives on...

I don't know if anybody had posted this, I tried to search but did't come up with anything.

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2012/10/...er-spotted.html

Yeah, it was spotted a little while ago in this thread.

Maybe that's what is delaying the C:DA... they're fitting a Fallen army into it! :P

I don't know if anybody had posted this, I tried to search but did't come up with anything.

http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.com/2012/10/...er-spotted.html

Yeah, it was spotted a little while ago in this thread.

Maybe that's what is delaying the C:DA... they're fitting a Fallen army into it! :P

I'd be cool with just a Cypher rule, where he deepstrikes on last turn only.

Archived