"Counts as" in 6th

sunspear

I have used the "counts as" option in previous editions for cc weapons on my characters. I haven't played a game yet in 6th but I was curious to know what people thought about them in this edition? I have a chaos lord modelled with a sword, do people have problems with me using 'counts as" the black mace, I mean with the changes to cc weapons in 6th?

I wouldn't mind my opponent doing it, so long as the substitution was made up front and in writing (ie, you have a printed army list I can see, so that nobody gets confused, and so that one weapon doesn't become another mid game).

I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm rather neurotic about wysiwyg in my own armies.

I tend to shirk from counts-as generally, but in terms of special gear like this, I find it perfectly ok. If one really likes the look of a certain weapon type, one should not be penalised by that fact by being forced to use a certain sub-par rule (power mauls, I'm looking at you).

So yes, it is perfectly fine to have your lord modeled with a sword. It can be explained as 'The Black Sword', or the 3.5ed Dark Blade. All you need do is make it clear in your army list and to your opponent before the match begins.

If you present your army list up front and it says "Dark Blade - 45 pts. - counts as Black Mace" I'd immediately say it was perfectly OK and secretly be very happy that you remembered the most awesome daemon weapon in the history of forever.

Just do like the Rolling Stones and paint it black ;)

Archived