Painting Threads galore

Brother Landrain

Maybe it is just me.

I like looking at peoples WIP / painted models, but it seems that 80% or more of the threads here are just that.

It is hard to find tactics or background or battle reports or relly any other discusion on this forum.

Why is the DA forum so consumed by these threads?

Looking at other chapters threads they do not seem anywhere near as painting centric.

Has there ever been any thought to making a subforum for these threads? There is one for army lists.

Just a thought.

Speaking for myself, I originally posted my painting thread in the WIP section back when I first started... It got little to no attention and fell off the map...

Here, its been accepted and looked at and commented upon. It's made me feel much better about the project as a whole.

At least, thats my experience.

Maybe it is just me.

I like looking at peoples WIP / painted models, but it seems that 80% or more of the threads here are just that.

It is hard to find tactics or background or battle reports or relly any other discusion on this forum.

Looking at other chapters threads they do not seem anywhere near as painting centric.

Has there ever been any thought to making a subforum for these threads? There is one for army lists.

Just a thought.

Because painting contests are just periodical, they don't get a forum of their own like army lists which are aw permanent fixture...

The lack of tactica and background or any other discussion is more perceivable because members are probably in a slumber state because codex is really old (and uninteresting I would chance)... which in turn makes the painting threads stand out more because they're really what's keeping the forum going right now, taking the occasional rumor.

So basically what we see here is just a cycle and with new DA codex, busy days of tactica and battle reports will return. ;)

The lack of tactica and background or any other discussion is more perceivable because members are probably in a slumber state because codex is really old (and uninteresting I would chance)

This is the reason I would guess as well. I think Shadow Guard put it nicely calling the time of the 4th edition codex the "Age of Despair." Our codex is really bland and boring. It has made a lot of people stop playing. Hell I stopped playing for a good three years, then 6th came out and sparked my interest back. While I too would like to see more threads other than WIP threads, there isn't much else DA players do. It's hard to play and talk about a bland codex.

• 3 weeks later...
Speaking for myself, I originally posted my painting thread in the WIP section back when I first started... It got little to no attention and fell off the map...

Here, its been accepted and looked at and commented upon. It's made me feel much better about the project as a whole.

+1 to this

Maybe it is just me.

Just a thought.

What Chaplain Lucifer said makes sense. The release of our new Codex is imminent so much so that rumors had it coming out in the summer then September then November and now I beleive it's January... Regardless, with the new Codex so close to release I doubt people are willing to make in depth tactical assesments for our previous , 6-7 year old Codex that's on it's way out. I mean what's to say anymore?

Once the new Codex comes out a fairly steep learning curve is ahead of us to learn how to use a brand new Codex in a fairly new edition of the game... A lot of people at that point would probably like to exchange ideas, talk about their expiriences on the tabletop and ask for advice down to the unit load-outs. Heck I would expect heated discussion on fluff too dependng on the direction the DAs will take under the new Codex. Apart from that there is the first book of Gav's DA trilogy coming out in January I beleive (or is it December?) which will also undoubtedly spark background discussions... And to be fair, both the "Lion" and the "Prince of Crows" sparked some heated debates here..

We are in a strange situation where Dark Vengeance opened our painting appetite with beutiful models but there are no developments on the rules front... I beleive the new Codex, once out, will change the mix of topics quite a lot.

I believe this has to do with this year been full of painting races. First the inter-forum competition, then the Dark angels challenge and now the redemption. So it is logical to see too many painting threads.

The DA forum has been knee deep in brushes and paint for an entire year.

We've also seemed to have had an influx of people starting or restarting DA armies - in anticipation of the new codex I'm sure. Some may not even bother with the current dex. What else do they have to do, but paint?

Brother landrain

I agree with you. many here may rationalize away tactics as un nessecary because of an old codex. I say nonsence. The myriad of threats to the imperium must and can be analyzed en abscentia of a new codex. Tactics for subverting dark eldar strategies, the new chaos, necrons!? Forgeworld offers another avenue. Thers always room for analysis for those who are willing. But if you cant find good tactics threads here i recommend going to the BA forum, lotta good stuff there.

Much of what needs to be said has alreayd been said. The absence of tactica threads is mainly due to the absence of the codex..but with the coming of the DV starter kit a few threads did start. It realy depends on the level of interest to keep any thread up in the front page of this forum. If someone starts a tactica thread f any worth, the natural history is for it to remain on teh front page as people contribute. Same goes for DIY histories, character background, batreps and conversiona rticles.

The quality of the thread and discussions dictatte that they remain on the front page.... and at the moment the painting effort by the members of the DA forum is way ahead on quality than anything else!! :P

SG

Just to add slightly to what's been said -

If you want more threads about other subjects then please do start them. It's your forum! Provided it's within forum rules and scope, you can start threads to discuss tactics and collecting. In fact, we would encourage you to do so!

I haven't played much in recent years, otherwise I would start a trhead, but I'd like to know how the DA play in 6th now. What selections are viable now that weren't before and vice-versa.

Just to add slightly to what's been said -

If you want more threads about other subjects then please do start them. It's your forum! Provided it's within forum rules and scope, you can start threads to discuss tactics and collecting. In fact, we would encourage you to do so!

I haven't played much in recent years, otherwise I would start a trhead, but I'd like to know how the DA play in 6th now. What selections are viable now that weren't before and vice-versa.

More or less its the same really for us. Yes the deathwing and bikes have became better, but nothing really worthy to discuss. The only thing to discuss was the libbys and we had a couple of threads in regards to their armament and powers.

So IMHO at least that another reason for why we dont see anything new for now.

Archived