Dealing with TEQ

The things I am trying to juggle with in the new codex are dealing with tanks, fliers and TEQ. I have some ideas on the first 2. I am most interested in seeing what you are taking in a Slaaneshi force to deal with those pesky 2+ AS.

I am wanting to stick to MoS and unmarked troops only.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

James

I would look primarily at our heavy options. Lascannons, Vindicators, EctoFiends and plasma cannons are all good choices.

MoS plasma weapons on troops will also help.

If you can get them within range, sonic blaster noise marines will put enough wounds on a target that they'll fail simply by weight of fire.

I would look primarily at our heavy options. Lascannons, Vindicators, EctoFiends and plasma cannons are all good choices.

MoS plasma weapons on troops will also help.

If you can get them within range, sonic blaster noise marines will put enough wounds on a target that they'll fail simply by weight of fire.

Seems to me that Huron, or heaven forbid, even Ahriman, would make fine Warlords in a list where you want to make best use of the sonic weaponry. Maybe I am wrong though, since this would admittedly limit the possible "Slaneeshi" HQs, and make slanny sorcerers impossible to take below 2K.

Edit: At 2K with 4 possible HQs, I would definatly try Huron or Ahriman though

I think if I was going for massed PG then would probably go for Havocs rather than Chosen as cheaper option.

True. Havocs are also scoring in 1/6 games which is nice.

I just don't usually have room for them after the 3x3 obbies, unless double FoC'ing.

Just had a thought. Master of deceptioning a 4-g PG squad up the board in a rhino...

Volume of fire always works against TEQ which Noise Marines are suited for quite nicely. You can build to face TEQ and thus end up with a unit who can be deployed out of place or be lost, which ends up being a wasted FOC slot. Or you can build a balanced list that allows for TEQ to be handled by almost anything in the army.

Volume of fire always works against TEQ

Problem is, that we are seeing increasing instances of TEQ + Feel no pain (Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Icon of Excess) that render things problematic.

You'll get 1 wound on a TEQ per NM with sonic blaster. 10 dudes = 30 shots = 20 hits = 10 wounds = 1 TEQ dies. All for 220pts or so.

3 Obbies, 3 lascannons, 2 hits, 2 wounds, 1.5 dies.

This is assuming that your opponent is spreading out to ensure plasma cannons can only hit one TEQ.

Problem is, that we are seeing increasing instances of TEQ + Feel no pain (Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Icon of Excess) that render things problematic.

You'll get 1 wound on a TEQ per NM with sonic blaster. 10 dudes = 30 shots = 20 hits = 10 wounds = 1 TEQ dies. All for 220pts or so.

This is assuming that your opponent is spreading out to ensure plasma cannons can only hit one TEQ.

Well 3 unmarked Oblits are 210 pts so looks like Oblits have an edge over Noise marines (in dealing with TEQ) but only slightly.

Cheers

James

You are kind of fudging on the numbers there :unsure:

You'll get 1 wound on a TEQ per NM with sonic blaster. 10 dudes = 30 shots = 20 hits = 10 wounds = 1 TEQ dies.

20 hits, 10 wounds, 2+ save so 1.66 die

2 hits, 1.6 wounds, 5++ save so 1.1 die

You are kind of fudging on the numbers there :)
You'll get 1 wound on a TEQ per NM with sonic blaster. 10 dudes = 30 shots = 20 hits = 10 wounds = 1 TEQ dies.

20 hits, 10 wounds, 2+ save so 1.66 die

2 hits, 1.6 wounds, 5++ save so 1.1 die

Fudging a bit, yes, but I was factoring in feel no pain. The 1.66 goes to about 1.1 as well.

The point was, that the terminators' main strength is their 2+ save. You deny that, you kill them faster.

TH/SS termies are different, though. Their main strength is the SS, so deny them that and torrent them from the board.

Why are you firing lasscannons into a Teq squad from Obilts?

At full range yeah sure, but at 36 inches assault cannons with the rending rule are better placed to deal with Teq’s.

Assume 3 obilts.

12 shots – 8 hit – roll to wound 1.33 shots are rending with .88 getting through the invun. Of the remaining 6.66 hits, 5.55 wound requiring saves meaning 1.81 Teq’s dead.

Between 36 and 24 inches, lasscannon is again a good option on the “off turn”.

But close up its plasma guns. 3 plasma guns (single fire) have a ratio of 1.41.

3 plasma guns have a kill ratio of 2.96 when rapid firing.

All better then lasscannons.

Why are you firing lasscannons into a Teq squad from Obilts?

At full range yeah sure, but at 36 inches assault cannons with the rending rule are better placed to deal with Teq’s.

Assume 3 obilts.

12 shots – 8 hit – roll to wound 1.33 shots are rending with .88 getting through the invun. Of the remaining 6.66 hits, 5.55 wound requiring saves meaning 1.81 Teq’s dead.

Between 36 and 24 inches, lasscannon is again a good option on the “off turn”.

But close up its plasma guns. 3 plasma guns (single fire) have a ratio of 1.41.

3 plasma guns have a kill ratio of 2.96 when rapid firing.

All better then lasscannons.

You...may want to check the range on your assault cannons there...

Of course TL plasma guns are the better option, but you have to be within 12" for them to be effective, and to be within 12" of TEQ, you should have thinned them down beforehand.

Assault cannons are indeed a good option, and I forgot about them for new to the codex.

The lascannons are my default for dealing with termies, as my regular opponents space their models out so you only get one cannon hit, and my regular csm can deal with termies at close range. The cannons pick off the ones at the back.

I run 10-man NM squads with full Blastmasters / Sonic Blasters upgrades + Icon of Excess and have had some success against TEQ.

'Drop down a torrent of fire and see how many wounds you can squeeze out' is actually a pretty good strategy against 5 man Terminator squads, but it gets a lot harder to justify against larger unit sizes. The trouble with NMs is that only the Champion can get a CC weapon that can really hit a Terminator.

I played a game where a unit of NMs was charged by a squad of terminators. We killed 4 in shooting, there were 6 left. My Champion killed a Terminator Champion in close combat while the rest of the NMs were wiped out in cc. The champ got Fleet off the boon table, just in time to run away.

Psychic shriek (primaris in telepathy) is sorta random, but it worked out for me so far, Also feels sorta "noisy" :)

Dunno if anyone mentioned it since I only read about half the post...It's a great power though.

Archived