What next?

Way1and

I've finally got my Wolves painted (Well, at least three colors for some of them!) and I've built a 1250 point list based on what models I have a available.

Gunnar Red Moon's Great Company

1250 points.

Rune Priest - Runic Armor, Saga of the Beastslayer

Rune Priest - standard loadout

Wolf Priest - plasma pistol, Saga of the Hunter

Wolf Guard x 3, Combi-plasma, Power Fist

Scouts x 7, Sniper rifle, bolter

Dreadnaught, heavy flamer, wolftooth necklace

Grey Hunter x 8, MoW, Wolf Standard, plasma gun, power fist, rhino

Long Fang x6, ML x5, razorback w/TL lascannon

The question is: based on monetary cost and best practices, what would you buy/build next to move up to 1500 points? I have enough models/parts to build another LF ML squad (minus razorback); everything else I'm going to have to lay down some buckage for.

If it matters to your answers, assume 25% off typical American retail.

---

I've got to get better about taking my meds. That was my full inventory, which comes out to 1660ish in points. Tonight's 1250 list is:

Rune Priest - Runic Armor, Saga of the Beastslayer

Wolf Guard x 3, Combi-plasma, Power Fist

Scouts x 7, Sniper rifle, bolter

Long Fang x6, ML x5, razorback w/TL lascannon

Which really only eliminates two HQ and one elite slot.

You realy need something that will give you long range support. It can be done with more Fangs, some tanks (yes i know it's 6ed. but the Predator will be cheap fire support and fire magnet in one), or bikes and cavalery if you rather like messy combat. Or more troops in drop pods, but thats risky because of the reserve rolls.

So, just carrying a power weapon leaves you susceptable to challenges? Guess I'll find out tomorrow night...

I was thinking another pack of Long Fangs just 'cause a) I like 'em and b ) I picked Red Moon's company because of a).

I certainly intend to pick up some TDA eventually, but I've already got 3 elite choices in my list. Whatever I buy/model has got to tide me over through the end of the tournament.

What's the consensus on cheap, hard fast attack choices these days? Better to go bikes? or T-wolves? I understand Land Speeders are flimsier than ever...

You can always make those TDA part of your existing WG pack so no problem there. I agree LFs are the easiest according to the info you provided. I also agree PFs on wgpl's or serg equivalent are pretty much a give away in challenges vs ICs. Against other serg's they are likely to just kill each other in which case the p.axe is cheaper for the same result.

As for fast attack I rate TWC above bikes. Speeders are a different animal but they arent as bad as you think. For one they pretty much always have a 5++. Also the rules changes allow them to move at cruising (including DS) and fire both their weapons which is better than last edition by far. In addition they can even be scoring which is actually pretty good when you consider they are really the only shooting unit in FA that can score. Overall id say they have improved quite a bit but I use speeders pretty extensively so im always looking to maximize their returns.

I have to agree with Brom. TWC Cavalry is probably your best FA choice & the box set would let you pretty much fill out your 250 pts. If not TW's IMO then Land Speeder Typhoons. I used them a lot in 5 Ed & still use them in 6 Ed. I find I just have to be more careful with them. THey are a great mobile fire base. My third pick would be Long Fangs. You have enough troops for 1500 pts. & a little more fire power is never bad. The only other thing I could suggest is up your Wolf Guard pack. Don't neccessarily need TDA but a couple more Wolf Guard in a Razor back or a Drop Pod would give you a decent assault unit. Split off your pack leaders at the start of the game & still leave yourself with several to form an assault unit. You could even put them on bikes but that's expensive pts. wise & not really worth it in my opinion but fun.

K. So, consensus is basically to get my model-fu back on and replace the pfists on the WG. What about the ones on the Grey Hunters? Still good?

PFs on Hunters are brilliant - they can't be one shotted except 'precision shots' and can't be challenged out because they're 'regular guys' :unsure:

Archived