Simple Fix for Possessed

L30n1d4s

I know many people think Possessed are overpriced/undercapable and have a tough time being competitive.

What if, as part of their "Vessels of Chaos" rule, Possessed randomly get one of their three abilities at the beginning of each Fight sub-phase (as they do now)..... if they wipe out an enemy unit, then they get to keep that power permanently (a gift of the Chaos Gods for being victorious) and in future Fight sub-phases get that ability, plus a second one that is randomly chosen from the two remaining possibilities.

If the Possessed wipe out another entire enemy unit, then they get that power permanently as well... since only one power is left to "randomly" choose from, they in essence would get all three powers at his point. A fully "leveled up" (i.e. having wiped out two enemy units) Possessed squad would have AP3, re-roll to to wounds, and +1A/+1I.

Basically, I think it would be fluffy, make Possessed more worth their points, and would give them a unique "flavor" in the CSM army (i.e. they are pretty expensive for what they do at first, but as they "level up" they become increasingly more powerful). Would of course require some skill to use, as you wouldn't get full value out of Possessed unless you were able to level them up (kind of like DE and Pain Tokens, though of course a slightly different game mechanic).

Thoughts?

Fixing Possessed is easy: Don't roll a freaking dice to see what random effect they get (we don't need more random!), just let us choose what effect we want them to have this combatphase.

Drop 5 points and give em frags, and I'd be a happy camper

THIS^

But that's a pretty awesome idea you came up with and would both be fair and make sense as the Possessed allow the Inner Daemon to feed on the enemy souls and hence they get stronger :wallbash:

Ymgarl's have a chart where they can pick. Why didn't Possessed get something similar? +1 A, +1S or +1T, give them a counts as frags rule & drop a few points off them. Simple.

DD

These are all really good ideas, but they do have me pining for the next edition of the Codex.

The fix has always been (and always will be) to remove the random abilities, and give a chart to pick from, possibly even with costs attached.

Random won't ever be competitive, unless it's broken on all but the weakest rolls.

I hesitated doing so, but I ordered a CSM Battleforce. The hesitation was indeed because of the Possessed. I don't really like the models, and on top of that they do seem quite lackluster for their points cost. No AP at all unless you roll 2 on Vessels of Chaos just makes them very "meh" against anything with a half-decent save especially as they only get 3 attacks on the charge (or 4 if you take MoK, of course) and no shooting whatsoever.

So I'm not sure that between the looks and the stats I'll have any use for them, I'd rather just use the awesome-looking Chosen or whatever else. I suppose I could always try selling them, but not sure if anyone'd buy them since they're widely considered subpar :blink:

Possessed are a decent unit against marines thanks to VotLW - all 3 rolls are viable - and this is probably the only time I would field them as well.

I would probably only ever run them with MoK or MoS though with Icons though. MoN/MoTz costs too much.

Hmm, with MoK and the Icon, they're 4 S6 attacks each (maybe 5) on the charge, that's quite tasty.

On the other hand, with MoS and Icon they strike first unless charging trough terrain, and they get FnP...hmmm

*Goes of and paints 10 of his possessed as khornate, and 10 of his possessed as slaaneshi.*

They should have what the Ogre Maneaters in the 8th edition army book have pick 2 abilities from a list of 8 abilities like feel no pain, wings, rending, ap3 and 2 attacks, become cavalry etc then that way they can be equipped/ mutated depending on the mission after all they are possessed shouldn't there be some good perks apart from looking freaky otherwise why let a daemon possess you the current rules are crap.

Archived