Sixth Edition Hero Hammer.....

Loki-LaughingDeath

Sooo on the 10th there is going to be a local Food Hammer Tournament complete with donations for reroll tokens.... which of course means every body and their anciently deceased relatives will be cheating like it's going outta style....OF COURSE I WILL BE CHEATING!! I already saved up like 60 bucks for canned food!~!

Anywho I am at a dilemma in my army building, part of me says build to win, but then I thought build for fun and this is what I came up with....

Logan

-Ajrac and 4 Jarl Guard with 2 TDA and an assault cannon with 1 MOW in a Drop Pod

Njal and the Sons of th Tempest 10 Grey Hunters kitted out with MOW and Wolf Standard

Ulric and 9 Blood Claws with Lukas the Trickster

Bjorn the Fell Handed

Now I haven't done the math yet but my gut tells me it's right around 1500 which conveniently is the tourney limit and I am thinking it's legal except that Njal and Bjorn both have the Saga of Majesty which is the major sticking point.....

Yeah this is a hero hammer beat (CENSORED) stick and then some but it's compact which I like considering there is an Orc Horde list I want to have my way with.

Just want an opinion of it's awesomeness... No I don't plan on winning I am just wanting to get pictures of the looks on peoples faces when I deploy.

Unfortunately, you're way over-cost:

1500 Pts - Space Wolves Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1595

HQ: Logan Grimnar, The Great Wolf (1#, 275 pts)

1 Logan Grimnar, The Great Wolf

HQ: Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests (1#, 245 pts)

1 Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests

HQ: Ulrik the Slayer (1#, 180 pts)

1 Ulrik the Slayer

HQ: Bjorn the Fell-Handed (1#, 270 pts)

1 Bjorn the Fell-Handed

Troops: Wolf Guard Pack (5#, 335 pts)

1 Wolf Guard in Power Armour

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour + Assault Cannon

1 Marked Wolf Guard in Power Armour

1 Arjac Rockfist, The Anvil of Fenris

Troops: Blood Claws Pack (10#, 290 pts)

9 Blood Claws Pack

1 Lukas the Trickster

Total points exceed maximum allowed roster size (max 1500).

Forget Lukas and Bjorn, both are point drains that have a limited ability to make up their points. Only way lukas will do anything is if you manage to get him into base contact something that needs to be killed but you don't want to spend to many points.

Bjorn would be more usefull, but I say drop him and you can pick up 2 more dreads or another good squad.

I am trying to have some fun and see what kind of mayhem that I can achieve with 6 SPECIAL Characters.

This means that I need all 4 HQ slots plus the 2 Unit upgrades.... There will no swapping, trading or other shenanigans. I know that I am looking at having a next to non existent model count and that I can only secure 2 objectives and probably lose horribly....but how awesome is it to field an army that is 14 models strong and maybe just maybe have a chance. Not to mention that there is an Orc horde out there with Logan Grimnar's name all over it!

I am trying to have some fun and see what kind of mayhem that I can achieve with 6 SPECIAL Characters.

This means that I need all 4 HQ slots plus the 2 Unit upgrades.... There will no swapping, trading or other shenanigans. I know that I am looking at having a next to non existent model count and that I can only secure 2 objectives and probably lose horribly....but how awesome is it to field an army that is 14 models strong and maybe just maybe have a chance. Not to mention that there is an Orc horde out there with Logan Grimnar's name all over it!

Of course, if you're not married to the idea of Bjorn, and want a measure of objective taking ability:

1500 Pts - Space Wolves Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1473

Troops: Wolf Guard Pack (5#, 424 pts)

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour + Thunder Hammer

1 Drop Pod

Troops: Wolf Guard Pack (5#, 559 pts)

1 Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests + Runic Terminator Armour

1 Drop Pod

Troops: Blood Claws Pack (11#, 490 pts)

1 Ulrik the Slayer

8 Blood Claws Pack

1 Lukas the Trickster

1 Drop Pod

Alternatively cut the two TDA Wolf Guard to save exactly 96 pts, leaving you at 1,499...

Can't do that because then the Assault Cannon becomes illegal.

What kind of TDA Wolf Guard costs 96 pts for two without an Assault Cannon, hmm? ^_^ Removing them leaves him with 3 PA + Arjac, totally legal.

Loki--I say roll your original list minus those Terminators. I would love to hear how the 6-hero list works out. :lol:

Well I did some more math today and if I drop the TDA and Cannon I can pack in 8 Blood Claws and 2 Combi Plasma..... ooooor I can make a Lone Wolf.....

Or If I really wanna get crazy with the cheesewhiz I can make my own characters and shave off some points for some more troops but loose out on some of the crazy perks from the Special Characters.

• 2 weeks later...

The 10th has come and gone and I ended up with a 2-1 record and ONE HELL OF A GOOD TIME!! The list was interesting and surprisingly hard hitting and my turns were some of the fastest. I am just going to hit the highlights really quickly.

Round 1 was a Pedro Cantor list that featured more broken up tactical squads than I want to think about with Pedro Cantor off in a corner calling in Orbital Bombardments, a thunderfire cannon and a Landraider. Highlights were Bjorn and Arjac ripping up a Dreadnaught each in Close Combat, Logan and company shooting a 1/2 squad down and Bjorn eating a tactical squad that made the mistake of letting him get too close. Low points, Lukas Ulric and the claws sitting it out on an objective. I was playing a younger player and he didn't know how to react to such a small list.

Round 2. Ahh Brandon our local slanneshi cultist. He broke out a list that made me worried because he took my advice after last time and buffed out most of his units which meant 30 cultists... 9 Noise Marines and a Squad of Chaos Marines with the Lord with a Black Mace in a Rhino and a Demon Prince and a Hellbrute with Reaper and scourge and a Freaking Helldrake. Highlights were Bjorn Bjorn and Bjorn. First off he plastered the Rhino so Lord and company had to walk, then he got charged by the demon prince and after losing a hull point he made all his saves and proceeded to once again send another demon prince back to his god to explain why he failed, then worked the hell brute down to it's last hull point, before finally getting worked over. Lukas surprised everbody by gutting the Chaos Lord after Ulric and the other Claws went to go get an ale, Routed the Remaining Marines and tag teamed them with Logan and company after they went through the Cultists and CULT Marines. At the end of the Game all that was left was Logan with all his wounds, the Hellbrute with 1 Hullpoint and the Helldrake.

Round 3 This one hurt because it was against a Bug Swarm with 2 Massive units of 30 Gaunts 12 Gene Stealers, 5 Raveners 3 Zoanthropes 2 Twin Linked Devourer Carnivores and Flying HiveTyrant. This was a special mission with the fantasy mystery deployment. I really should have done something different because I got wiped out on turn 4. Wasn't really a fun game when you play rules liars(Lawyers). I bagged one of the Guant Units, couple of stealers, half the other gaunt unit and one of the Raveners. He played run away and shoot, untill the Carnivores and Tyrant all swarmed Bjorn and cracked him. The Fexes blew the claws and characters away in 1 round of shooting. Just not a fun Game at all.

Funny enough it was supposed to be a Fun list Tournament, odd how many people were there with some seriously competitive lists.

Interesting time you had there Loki,

Hmmm quick question for anybody ......

What would be the highest points - lowest model count army rosta that we could field on the table ?

( hope iam not hijacking your thread, was just wondering )

What would be the highest points - lowest model count army rosta that we could field on the table ?

Not saying it's 100% the most competitive build, but 2,165pts in 19 models:

Total Roster Cost: 2165

HQ: Bjorn the Fell-Handed (1#, 270 pts)

1 Bjorn the Fell-Handed

Troops: Wolf Guard Pack (8#, 1175 pts)

1 Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests

1 Wolf Guard in Power Armour + Frost Blade

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour + Combi-Meltagun + Power Fist

1 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armour + Assault Cannon + Chain Fist

1 Land Raider

Troops: Blood Claws Pack (10#, 720 pts)

1 Ulrik the Slayer

1 Marked Wolf Guard Pack Leader in Power Armor + Plasma Pistol x2

6 Blood Claws Pack + Meltagun

1 Blood Claw w/ Power Fist

1 Lukas the Trickster

1 Land Raider

Composition Report:

HQ: 2 (1 - 2)

Elite: 0 (0 - 3)

Troops: 2 (2 - 6)

Fast: 0 (0 - 3)

Heavy: 1 (0 - 3)

Fort: 0 (0 - 1)

If you're planning on playing an Ork list, and that list uses deff roller battle wagons, keep Lukas. Ya, he kinda sux but wrap your unit around the wagon and dare him to roll over you. When you call death or glory his wagon will be caught in Lukas' trap and be removed too. It may not happen but the look on your opponent's face is priceless when it works :lol:

Not saying it's 100% the most competitive build, but 2,165pts in 19 models

I believe I can better that :D (albeit with slightly fewer special characters). Just under 4k with only 20 models!

(Not counting Fenrisian or Cyber Wolves as models, because they are wargear. Also assuming that Iron Priests are exempt from the Leaders of the Pack special rule, because they are not Independent Characters)

275 Logan Grimnar, The Great Wolf

335 Wolf Lord, Frost Blade, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Warrior Born, all the trimmings

315 Wolf Lord, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Runic Armour, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of Majesty, all the trimmings (except wolf tail)

335 Wolf Lord, 2x Thunder Hammer, Runic Armour, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Bear, all the trimmings (except meltabombs)

185 Iron Priest, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Iron Wolf, Wolftooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, 4x Cyberwolves

185 Iron Priest, Thunderwolf Mount, Saga of the Iron Wolf, Wolftooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, 4x Cyberwolves

339 Wolf Guard Pack (3)

Arjack Rockfist

Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield and Meltabombs, Mark of the Wulfen

Wolf Guard Terminator with Chainfist, Storm Shield and Meltabombs

295 Land Raider Crusader, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armour

219 Wolf Guard Pack (3)

Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield and Meltabombs, Mark of the Wulfen

Wolf Guard Terminator with Chainfist, Storm Shield and Meltabombs

Wolf Guard Terminator with Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield and Meltabombs

295 Land Raider Redeemer, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armour

120 Thunderwolf Cavalry (1)

Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Meltabombs, Mark of the Wulfen

295 Land Raider, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armour

295 Land Raider, Storm Bolter, Hunter-Killer, Multi-Melta, Extra Armour

7 Infantry

9 Cavalry (+18 Puppies)

4 Tanks

Archived