Daemon engines

Im a non-IW tread head, I love running tanks (actually the biggest use i get out of my BAs is fast rhino chassis) and have a massive place in my gene enhanced double heart for the concept of daemon engines.

But how are they really working out for us? I saw a battle with SW Vs. WE, CSm took 2 maulersfiends and truly went to town with them, wiping out most of the left flank in 2 assault phases - but was this a fluke?

The hell turkey did well for me, took 2 and they slaughtered Tau unopposed for 4 game turns, doing about 600 - 700 pts damage themselves !!! - was this a bit of a fluke?

Forge fiends look teh goods on paper, 8 Hades shots or 3 plasma templates are massive in theory, but how well do they last with AV12 and hull points?

I ran a decimator in last ed. and absolutly loved it, tough as nuts and packed a massive amount of firepower, how are they this ed.?

One concept I have is to run a Defiler w/ dirge up front with a hellbrute or two to open a flank for CSM waves, could this be viable?

Lastly, is the SpikyTechpriest worth taking in a Daemon engine heavy list?

Anyone with in-game experience - PLEASE speak loudly so we can hear you all the way back here :wallbash:

-edit- I knw technincally bikes and AC havoks can do most of it better, but I wanna love these fiends so help me out :lol:

Defilers are really good in 6th expensive but totally worth it I always give mine dirge caster and power scourge plus like most daemon engines it has it will not die as well as a 5+ inv save which will not always save it from being destroyed but is pretty funny when you pass it, out of all the daemon engines I reckon the Defiler is basically the generalist which appeals to my Nurgle side as mostly they can be used for both anti tank, infantry or anything really, yes they have WS3 but bolt on a power scourge and your laughing because suddenly those powerfist or monstrous creatures are WS1 .Worked really well against necrons made a couple of my opponents lords and overlords WS1 and kept crushing them while they couldn't hit me with their Warscythes (of course the C'tan shard had to ruin my fun and assault me from the rear destroying it with a lucky roll) plus all daemon engines look cool so you have to add them to your army.

Maulerfiends are worth their points, if you can spare the HS-slot for something that's not really HS.

Heldrakes are probably the first balanced flier, and they've performed well in all my games.

Both the Defiler and Forgefiend have their uses, but are imo to pricey in conjunction with low AV, to be worth their cost.

Lastly, is the SpikyTechpriest worth taking in a Daemon engine heavy list?

Not really. Take him if you think he's cool (like I do), but he won't really help your daemon engines that much.

Who complains about the Maulerfiend? You're not mixing it with the Forgefiend?

Maulerfiends are good because they're essentially a CC-Dread who moves 12", has fleet, iWnD, "automatically" kills any AV it touches (with the exception of Dreadnaughts) and is a Daemon.

Essentially it's a bargain.

The con with it is as I mentioned earlier, that it's a non-shooty unit in our HS-department.

Just heard it dies easily, compared to the forgefiend (which has more range). I have no experience myself. Just trying to figure things out :P

And what you say yourself, havocs or preds are in the same slot as the Maulerfiend.

Which leads to the question, in what sort of list is the maulerfiend of use, according to you?

Just heard it dies easily, compared to the forgefiend (which has more range).

Long range anti-tank kills both Fiends just as easily. The Maulerfiend is quick enough to stay away from Melta's most of the time.

Which leads to the question, in what sort of list is the maulerfiend of use, according to you?

In a very fast list, although it can probably function in most lists as well.

Imagine 3x5 Spawns or 3x10 Bikers, backed up by 3 Maulerfiends and some Deepstriking Daemonic Allies in turn 1.

Obviously this list has some major flaws against fliers, but if your opponent doesn't spamm Vendettas or Nightscythes, he's in for a real shock.

If you go second, put your Hadesfiend in reserve, or it is very unlikely that it will get to shoot at all.

What I like about the Hadesfiend is that it will statisticly wreck/explode a unobscured AV13 target if you use the Daemonforge.

Ofcourse, even with 8 shots, BS3 is far from reliable.

I'm not to keen on the Ectofiend at all. It's too expensive and has too short range (which means that even the reserve-trick might not always work).

3 Shots with get's hot also means that it averages burning itself (and as such, loosing a shot) 50% of the time, or as with my own get's-hot-rolls: 100% of the time. (I stopped using Plasma on my Plague Marines after rolling 1-1-1-2 and 1-1-2-2 in two consecutive turns...)

Wow, good to see people interested in the Daemon engines :)

@minsc - ive been thinking of a world eater list for years (since my 2nd ed one stopped being fun) and I think I may now take it, huron and Khârn with MoK everywhere and 3 Maulerfiends should just about make it competitive. As I read on here - annihilation is always a victory condition.

@littlbitz - im thinking of a heavy AV list, or just running bikes as distraction. Defilers may suit everything but midfield as far as i can see, so either frontline dirge casting behemoth or long range cannon support and last minute AA, also I love your work mate :P

@minigun762 - im hoping that the hades fiend is a good platform, as i love the idea - and im sure a couple of hellbrutes with melta could keep it safe enough, especially with infiltrators or bikes.

A lot to think about so far, perhaps the machines are more durable then weve been told, the fiend for example seems to be at least 3-4 turns until destroyed.

Any more list ideas?

I use a heldrake for the first time during the weekend for a tournament which was 1750pts. I use my standard 1500pts Throne of Skulls list & added 250pts stuff, wanted to try one of the new Daemonic Engines.

Overall I was really impress. Though out the whole event (6 rounds), it was only round 5 & 6 that it took any hull point damnge, beyound that it never got a scratch on it. I arm it with the baleflamer. I just feel for the Heldrake it best suit give it this over the Autocannon. End of the day you got a wide range anyway with it being a flyer, along with the torrment rule & allow you to pick out target, so round 4, turn 2 of the game I flame a unit of Long Fangs. Also I got Obliterators & other units to deal with the long range fire power anyway.

I am going to add the Heldrake into my army list for Throne of Skulls Novemeber in a week & a half time. Just it will give me that speed & since it come on from reserve will allow me to aim for set target, as said above with units like Long Fangs for exsample or say that unit of Marine Scouts with a 2+ cover save?

Like wise I will be buying another heldrake to add to my Iron Warriors force as I enjoy building/converting the model, painting & as said during the tournament I was really really impress with how it done during games, also I got another conversion idea to try out.

I am also current getting a Mauler Fiend ready for the Call of Chaos & aim on trying this out in a 3000pts game I have arrange near the end of Novemeber.

IP

Wow, IP i follow your tournies closely as theres nothing like it in the part of Oz I live in. So thats a couple votes for Drakes being quite good, and as an aside the loyalist boards have fairly constant threads worrying about the Maulerfiends, though im not sure if its truly justified or a case of rareness breeding fear.

Short awnser to the question "what is good?":

- Helldrakes

- Forgefiends

Cheers,

What about Decimators?

Cool model, rulewise not that different from a Forgefiend, sizewise better sized than a Forgefiend also more expensive.

I like it but couldn't and wouldn't find the points for it in a 1750 army list. It seems effective but at the same time not that much better than a Forgefiend.

Now I have to admit I have never played with it (bar some fun games) but I prefer using points elsewhere.

Archived