Are grenades weapons?

Migraine

Chaos Artefacts

A model can replace one weapon with one of the following.

Can a Chaos Lord choose to exchange his Krak Grenades in order to get a Chaos artefact without losing his BP/CCW?

Where this matters is prolly most likely in the case of the Burning Brand o Skalathrax, where swapping the Kraks for the Brand means that the Lord can pick a powerweapon and get +1A for still having his BP.

Grenades are wargear that can be used as weapons.

Youll note that optional grenade types are found under special issue wargear, not under weapons.

Id definitely say no to exchanging them as weapons.

Youll note that optional grenade types are found under special issue wargear, not under weapons.

As far as I can tell, Grenades are listed under Weapons in the BRB, hence why I'm slightly confused.

On the other hand, there's really no other differentiator between a "Weapon" and any other kind of wargear, save for having a Profile, which Grenades do, in a sense.

Is there any other option in ANY other codex or book that allows a unit to trade its grenades for a weapon? Can my Space marines trade their grenades for meltaguns?

It is a little far fetched to think that this one one in one codex allows you to break with all normal conventions and trade in grenades for a Chaos Artefact.

All other books say it as "Replace x pistol or ccw for..."

"Replace one weapon" has never come up.

I thought the BT armory system uses this too....

More to the point I think however is where they are listed. In model profiles they are not listed under weapons in the books, but rather under wargear. The only grenade types listed in the C:CSM book are listed under special issue wargear, thus continuing this trend.

It also wouldnt be the first time that a peice of wargear sometimes had a weapon use.

No the BT armory doesn't have anything like this. Most of the models that have access simply say"may select any equipment allowed from the armory" Also the BT characters are mostly weaponless(nothing for the Marshal, Only the Crozius for the chappy)

grenades for trades are NOT weapons.

grenades THROWN sure. if thats the case, i want 2 PG and 10 BGs in my GH units now. 2 of those dudes dont need nades.

Sorry space wolf your heresy will not work here, it says in YOUR codex "May replace his bolter with" unless you can show me how a grenade is a bolter then you cant do it

As far as I can tell, Grenades are listed under Weapons in the BRB, hence why I'm slightly confused.

On the other hand, there's really no other differentiator between a "Weapon" and any other kind of wargear, save for having a Profile, which Grenades do, in a sense.

The differentiation here is defined by where they are listed in your codex. Are they listed in the weapons section? When you select them in the unit profile are they listed as wargear? Do they have a weapon stat line? I know that Grenades have a damage profile and are single use but if they do not appear in your codex listed specifically as a weapon then they are wargear just like and auspex or iron halo ect.

In reference to BRB confusion = codex trumps brb.

Archived