Adding Allies--Which and why?

Calnus

When you start allying in IG, if you want to play that way.... you are probably better off playing IG with BA allies instead.

I would say its the other way around. BA have good offensive troops, IG have good defensive ones. You generally want more offense than defense because offense allows you to dictate/try to dictate the flow of the game. So IG works fine as allies to play babysitter for your home objectives while your Assault Marines are free to go kick ass and take names.

I think overall, IG are just a fantastic addition to ANY army, because they do basically everything better than almost everyone, at lower point costs to boot.

Fixed. :)

Difficult to refute that claim. I really struggle to find reasons to bring anybody else for Allies. They just bring so much to the table.

This is what I'm thinking of for adding in IG allies:

Company Command, Autocannon - 60

Platoon Command - 30

Infantry squad, Autocannon - 65

Infantry Squad, Autocannon - 65

Infantry Squad, Autocannon - 65

Vendetta - 130

And an Aegis line with Quad gun. Because Interceptor is freaking amazing.

Added to my 1450 of pure BA, I'm sitting at 1965. If I drop the jump pack off my Libby, and dedicate him to run with the IG, either as a blob for Prescience fun times or as independent units for my BA to go pure reserve, I gain another 25 points to spend. I just have a lot of trouble deciding where to put 35 points at the end of the day.

Also, the bare PCS and Vendetta are there for turn 5 objective drop and because Vendettas are just pure gold in 6th.

How does that look?

@ Calnus: Really depends on what else you're running with it. The issue is that aside from the Vendetta, that's a lot of boots on the ground that has minimal effective firepower. If your BA force has very few scoring bodies then it should work fine, because that's what the IG is providing. But if you're running a more balanced list, then you're paying out a lot of points for 3 scoring autocannons at BS 3 and a bunch of flashlights. That's kinda underwhelming.

Thank you for answering my questions so concisely, Sokhar! I've not used allies yet and the only DT I've taken is a Ghost Arks for some 'Cron warriors who never leave the vehicle unless forced to do so!

Your thoughts on SW coincide with my own, I'll definitely be taking two 10 man GH squads for the free second special weapons (2x PG in each, plus either PF, PA or MotW), but I do wish to stay away from vehicles if at all possible. One unit to to nurse home base and the other to be podded in (maybe with an RP in Termie armour + Divination) to support the DC.

Do SW DPs only have a capacity of 10 as well? Read that somewhere. That would, again, hinder my plans... Really can't wait for my Codex to arrive as that will answer all my questions, no doubt ^_^

Apologies for usurping your thread, Calnus, saved me starting one asking the exact same question! And I don't know anything about IG since I've never played with or against them!

One unit to to nurse home base and the other to be podded in (maybe with an RP in Termie armour + Divination) to support the DC.

Rune Priests can take Runic Armour giving them a 2+ save which is awesome as it also allows them to only take up 1 spot in a transport. No invulnerable save though :)

Space Wolves are your best bet.

At Feast of Blades, had a guy drop wolfguard plasma gunslingers in a pod.

Hit Mephiston turn one for 15 plasma wounds... he died.

It's expensive, but effective.

Also, Guard are a great choice.

We can always use a strong gun-line... behind an Aegis line

Where was his screen? Did the player not know those WG had so much plasma?

This smells like the Mephiston-owner let this happen.

Where was his screen? Did the player not know those WG had so much plasma?

This smells like the Mephiston-owner let this happen.

Everytime I've let Mephy die, it's been due to poor screening. He wasn't properly casteld, like a King should be, and BLAMMO... smoke and gorey bits.

I've been trying to keep my allies to Battle Brothers, and along the lines of 600 pts or less (in an 1850 heavy area).

A squadron of Vendettas with Company Command squad, and 2 units of Veterans has crossed my mind as an Air Support wing with scoring bodies. Clocks in at 600.

Belial with 2 units of Deathwing troops (with CMLs) provides some DS capable rocks. Still scoring, also 600 points. And they can be equipped to flavor at no additional cost.

You're welcome. Unfortunately Wolves only have the small capacity (10 models) drop pods as well. Its like GW wanted you to pick between a free second special weapon and having a character, or something. :P

Why is GW intent on foiling my plans? Why? It would appear that that is the case, well, there are ways to get round that...

Rune Priests can take Runic Armour giving them a 2+ save which is awesome as it also allows them to only take up 1 spot in a transport. No invulnerable save though :(

That's still better than a 3+ save in my Codex!

Has anyone considered Eldar? Farseer with those "psychic test on 3D6" stones, unit of bladestorming goodness (forget unit name :P ) and perhaps a unit with brightlance for objective sitting. Sounds cheap enough yet brings a good buff to the table :(

I am adding some Tau to my list I find I need much more fire power in my local area. I really like the Fire warriors and the battlesuits/broadsides. It could be due to a personal interest rather than a min maxing of units. Looking at all the other options too, it just more marines and I feel I already have some of those and this gives me some diversity to my army, not just in playability but looks and a much needed rest/break from painting marines.

Archived