Pre-Heresy Dark Angels

Hello B&C Brothers,

I have recently ordered the FW Horus Heresy Book 1 and am looking forward to created a Pre-Heresy era Dark Angels army primarily made up of those Astartes from Caliban before the betrayal by Luther. The goal is to have Luther be my HQ choice. My problem is developing a list of models to purchase inorder to create this. I plan on using mainly MkII and MkIII armor but I also have 10X Tartaros Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. Was that around before a certain time or would that be further along during the Heresy? I also have 2 Contemptor Dreadnaughts and was thinking of magnetizing everything. My goal is to make them very fluffy but also decently viable in Herest games. Suggests on wargear are greatly appreciated.

Worthy Painting did an incredible piece that I am using as inspiration for the Dark Angels.

How did they make the two handed swords with the armguards/bucklers?

http://www.worthypainting.com/cms/images/gallery/warhammer40k/space_marines/pre_heresy/dark_angels/dark_angels5.jpg

I plan on using mainly MkII and MkIII armor but I also have 10X Tartaros Tactical Dreadnaught Armor. Was that around before a certain time or would that be further along during the Heresy?

You may also want to mix in some MK IV (Corswain is noted as wearing it if I'm not mistaken) - it can certainly be dressed up to look knightly - see for instance MadDoc's work.

I'd actually go easy on the MK III as it was noted as specifically for boarding actions.

Yes, I believe Tartaros was and it "shares many systems with the MkIV ‘Maximus’ pattern of power armor" (from Forgeworld site). That said, FW does not have them on its "horus heresy infantry" tab... odd.

You might also consider mixing in some Maxmini Steam Knight helmets. Easy way to outfit some robbed DA models without breaking the bank on FW models. Personally, I also like a little variation in my men - like the DA made their own subtle changes to armor to make them fit that more knightly feel.

I also like to always reference this thread when people bring up pre-heresey DA.

@EPK : Good to know mk IV can be dressed up knightly! That cloak is amazing. I'll definitely incorporate some of it in. I may use more mkII now and use MkIII helms then. I plan on adding the wings to the helms a I have a ton of the bits to make them. The goal is to create a recently drafted group of Calibanite Order Supplicants and Knights and have Luther leading the force. I love Luther's character and sympathize greatly with him. Modeling him will be rather easy since he is about the same size of a standard marine, possibly smaller even. That being said I still haven't recieved my FW Horus Heresy book and have no idea what to build them out. I've ordered 6 Jet bikes though for Ravenwing and plan on doing some unique heraldry for them with banners instead of the actual wing standards.

How good are conversion beamers? I own two Contemptor plasma cannons and will be ordering two twin linked auto cannons for my dedicated anti-air dread.

Are Tartaros Pattern Terminator armor not heresy era? If its now then I'll be using it for my Black Templars or Fallen army.

Suggestions are welcome as always!

Are Tartaros Pattern Terminator armor not heresy era? If its now then I'll be using it for my Black Templars or Fallen army.

Well, my understanding of TDA was that all of them were developed during the Great Crusade, Cataphractii being the first made and distributed to the Legions (it's also the most Iconic when it comes to Horus Heresy terminator armor). Idomitus and Tartaros would come next, the former being the more widespread as it was produced on major Forge World's, like Mars, the latter being more rare (assuming it was designed and produced on lesser Forge World(s)) but noted to have better maneuverability.

Given that info, along with the fact that Tartaros borrowed systems from Mk IV Power Armor, I'd make an educated guess that Tartaros may been conceived slightly later in the Crusade than Idomitus, making it even more rare - but both were being produced at the same time at some point.

So Idomitus and Tartaros would have begun to replace Cataphractii by the time of the Heresy - however Legions may have chosen to keep units armored in Cataphractii both due to it's relic-like status as well as it's slightly more durable armor (represented in Horus Heresy Rules by the improved invul. save). Not to mention it's obvious fear-factor depending on the enemy.

So, in my opinion, Tartaros is fair game for Heresy-era armies. And considering that Caliban wasn't found until half way through the Crusade, an argument could be made that these new recruits were supplied with the newest patterns of armor.

@EPK : Good to know mk IV can be dressed up knightly! That cloak is amazing. I'll definitely incorporate some of it in. I may use more mkII now and use MkIII helms then. I plan on adding the wings to the helms a I have a ton of the bits to make them. The goal is to create a recently drafted group of Calibanite Order Supplicants and Knights and have Luther leading the force. I love Luther's character and sympathize greatly with him. Modeling him will be rather easy since he is about the same size of a standard marine, possibly smaller even. That being said I still haven't recieved my FW Horus Heresy book and have no idea what to build them out. I've ordered 6 Jet bikes though for Ravenwing and plan on doing some unique heraldry for them with banners instead of the actual wing standards.

How good are conversion beamers? I own two Contemptor plasma cannons and will be ordering two twin linked auto cannons for my dedicated anti-air dread.

Suggestions are welcome as always!

Yeah. I was planning on doing that too with the MkIII helms to a few. Sadly FW doesn't sell parts separately. Glad for eBay. lol. GK helms are good too.

As others have said Tartaros are in.

CBeamers can be fun.

I think it was mentioned in DoA or FA that they had a lot of MkIVs.

Archived