Ultramar Defense Auxilia

Seahawk

Among the worlds of Ultramar, the Ultramarines are not the ever-present forces active in their defense. The Ultramar Defense Auxilia are the regiments of the heroic regular men and women that would gladly lay down their lives to protect their worlds.

In this thread, we will work together to compile every unique reference to the Ultramar Defense Auxilia from every credible source available (ie, not Lexicanum, Wikipedia, etc). This top post will be where I will compile everything into relevant categories. In addition, this will be the thread to feature personal interpretations of the army, including pictures of your own painted units and theoreticals using the Painter.

Anything about the Ultramar Defense Auxilia is of interest. Uniforms, tactics, equipment, bonding, and so on. Each sourced entry should contain the following:

1. An exact quotation from an official GW source. Put quotes around it so we know what's "canon."

2. Cite your source. This is important. Historical research requires verifiable sources. Any official Warhammer 40,000 material is fair game, even licensed stuff. Some discrepancies will inevitably appear, but that's part of the fun! Be sure to provide a copyright date if the edition could be in doubt and a page number, if applicable. Also, specify which country your White Dwarf is from, if it post-dates the UK/US White Dwarf split (WD 192?).

Each personal entry should be limited to one good picture of your version of the Ultramar Defense Auxilia, with a short explanation on painting and conversions, or sourcing of parts.

OFFICIAL

"The Ultramarines control no fewer than either nearby systems from their home world of Macragge. Each of these worlds has its own government, armed forces and individual cultures, but all are utterly loyal to the Ultramarines Chapter." (US WD 255, 2001)

"To be a citizen of Macragge was to live a life of discipline, self-denial and simplicity. The people viewed themselves as the true inheritors of Humanity's best traditions, shunning luxuries and occasion for leisure. This exercised a profound pull on the surrounding system which admired the discipline and order of Macragge. To maintain this way of life, children of both sexes were sent to military and athletic academies at the age of six, where they were taught to fight, build their stamina, maintain discipline, endure extremes of pain and survive in the wild. At fourteen, those students became soldiers.

This punishing regime ensured that the military might of Macragge was second to none, and many of the surrounding systems adopted the same method of training. A soldier served until he or she reached the age of thirty, when they were allowed to leave the military and start a family of their own." (US WD 263, 2001)

"Just like other worlds in the Imperium, each world of Ultramar raises regiments for its own defence. Most worlds in the Imperium are obliged to provide regiments for the Imperial Guard when required, but Space Marine homeworlds are an exception. In the case of Ultramar, however, the Ultramarines rule so efficiently and are so prosperous that they maintain several hundred regiments ready to join the Imperial Guard when needed. As a result regiments have fought all over the galaxy, often in campaign alongside the Ultramarines themselves." (Codex Ultramarines, 1995)

"When looking to their defense each world can rely on the protection of the Ultramarines, but, as would be expected, each one raises its own troops. These worlds are not required to levy troops for the Imperial Guard, but such is the prosperity and highly organized nature of the Ultramarines realm that it maintains hundreds of regiments which can fight, as and when required, throughout the galaxy." (US WD 255, 2001)

PERSONAL

Seahawk's UDA urban uniform concept:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/igbeta2.php?b62c=@hk8Yt_hCmX3.i9aHM@@hhWAh.i8khih1VNS@hr3uf@@i8khi___..h1VNSi8khi_@h9F2Qi5meV&

Explanation: The Ultramarines' heraldry shouldn't feature heavily, if at all. on the Imperial Guardsman's uniform. At most, one shoulder pad (I've chosen the right pad) is enough to show their loyalty to the planetary systems and their home Chapter. They should not have the Ultramarines' Chapter symbol on their uniform because it is a unique source of pride to the Ultramarines, as is any other Chapter's symbol. Thus, one piece of colored armor is sufficient.

Chicago Games Day 2012 megabattle, featuring the UDA and Ultramarines defending a planet from the depraved Dark Eldar of the Cabal of the Poisoned Tongue. This is as close as we're going to get for now from something official from GW:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/Yv4gE.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/SClJI.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/J3JLm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/veritas117/uc6CY.jpg

Edited by Seahawk

• 2 months later...

Evening

I thought Id add my pics into the mix as up until now Ive had no where to post these

After getting board with painting blue and as I won a valkerie I thought Id have a go at IG.

With a few FG additions heres what I came up with. There are another 15 of these on the bench

I'll keep this updated as I go.

The only question I have is would a PDF have IG unit style numbering or adopt their own?

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_0667_zpsc06acd55.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/rbrewster101/IMG_0665_zps7b2e81b5.jpg

The only question I have is would a PDF have IG unit style numbering or adopt their own?

Depends on the culture of the resident PDF, I think. Do they venerate the Imperial Guard or are they jealous of them? Are they from an isolationistic planet or one that is exhibits a more cosmopolitan attitude? Are they proud and not very likely to change their ways? It all depends on the situation, much like quite a lot of the more in depth questions about 40k. :smile.:

Edited by Olisredan

Ive been contemplating a IGesque PDF as the UM really appeal to me and my old army needs a re-paint.

My question is also about designation - is it a unified Ultramar system PDF or is it raised planet by planet? I remember a mention in the 2nd ed. book but cant find my copy ATM.

"Just like other worlds in the Imperium, each world of Ultramar raises regiments for its own defence. Most worlds in the Imperium are obliged to provide regiments for the Imperial Guard when required, but Space Marine homeworlds are an exception. In the case of Ultramar, however, the Ultramarines rule so efficiently and are so prosperous that they maintain several hundred regiments ready to join the Imperial Guard when needed. As a result regiments have fought all over the galaxy, often in campaign alongside the Ultramarines themselves." (Codex Ultramarines, 1995)

"When looking to their defense each world can rely on the protection of the Ultramarines, but, as would be expected, each one raises its own troops. These worlds are not required to levy troops for the Imperial Guard, but such is the prosperity and highly organized nature of the Ultramarines realm that it maintains hundreds of regiments which can fight, as and when required, throughout the galaxy." (US WD 255, 2001)

Granted those two say the same thing, but it's worth mentioning. Seems that, for the most part, the UDA is both a PDF system and also a regular army system.

• 1 month later...

There was a bunch of research done in this thread. I'll cut 'n paste the relevant information.

As far as "something official" from GW, there were some pictures in the Apocalypse book that included some UDF forces, if I recall correctly.

Planetary Defense Forces: General Information

"Each [planet in Ultramar] has its own government, armed forces, and individual cultures..." (US WD 263, p. 22) 

"When looking to its own defense, each world maintains its own dedicated armies, but can also call upon the protection of the Ultramarines." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"The harsh life on Macragge breeds hardy people with strong martial values and hard-working natures. Discipline, self-reliance and honor are seen as cardinal virtues and the children of Ultramar are taught these values from the earliest age. These are reinforced in the training academies and, vby the time students graduate, they are amongst the most disciplined humans in the galaxy.... the workers and warrios of Ultramar are respected throughout the galaxy and are a byword for strength, courage and honor." (US WD 263, p. 24)

Relationship to the Ultramarines

"...all [planets in Ultramar] look to the Ultramarines and Macragge for leadership." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"The inhabitants of these worlds are industrious, disciplines and intensely loyal to the Ultramarines." (US WD 263, p. 22)

Imperial Guard Regiments of Ultramar

"[The worlds of Ultramar] are not required to levy troops for the Imerial Guard, but such is the prosperity and disciplined nature of Ultramar that hundreds of regiments stand ready to fight throughout the galaxy." (US WD 263, p. 22)

"To maintain this way of life, children of both sexes were sent to military and athletic academies at the age of six where they were taught to fight, build their stamina, maintain discipline, endure extremes of pain and survive in the wild. Life for the students was brutal and only the very best survived. At fourteen, after eight years of the toughest training imaginable, those students became soldiers." Index Astartes Volume III Page 22.

"This punishing regime ensured that the military might of Macragge was second to none and many of the surrounding systems adopted the same method of training." Index Astartes Volume III Page 22.

"At the age of six, as was the custom for children of Macragge, he (Roboute Guilliman) was taken from his father and inducted into the Agiselus Barracks where he mastered the art of war with breathtaking speed." Index Astartes Volume III Page 23.

"Disciplined, well-equipped armies from Macragge kept the King's peace, and starships travelled regularly between neighbouring systems." Index Astartes Volume III Page 25.

"When looking to their defence, each world maintains its own dedicated armies, but can also call upon the protection of the Ultramarines. They are not required to levy troops for the Imperial Guard, but such is the prosperity and disciplined nature of Ultramar that hundreds of regiments stand ready to fight throughout the galaxy. As well as their own defence, the worlds of Ultramar provide recruits for the Ultramarines.." Index Astartes Volume III Page 26.

"The harsh life on Macragge breeds hardy people with strong martial values and hard-working natures. Discipline, self-reliance and honour are seen as cardinal virtues and the children of Ultramar are taught these values from the earliest age. These are reinforced in the training academies and, by the time students graduate, they are amongst the most disciplined humans." Index Astartes Volume III Page 28. 

"The skies boiled with fiery streamers of Tyranid reinforcements, but the brave warriors of the Ultramarines and their defence auxilia made the invaders pay in foul alien blood for every yard of ground grudgingly given." Codex: Space Marines pages 19 and 20.

From "the military of Ultramar"

Ultramar is the realm of the Ultramrines within the greater realm of humanity, that is the Imperium. Its worlds do not pay the Imperiums tithes. Instead they contribute directly toward the upkeep of the Ultramarines chapter. The rulers of the invidual worlds of Ultramar are feudal lords of the master of the Ultramarines. This is why the Ultramarines leader is also known as the Lord of Ultramar.

Just like other worlds in the Imperium, each world of Ultramar raises regiments for its own defense. Most worlds in the Imperium are obliged to provide regiments for the Imperial Guard when required, but Space Marine homeworlds are an exception. In the case of Ultramar, however, the Ultramarines rule so efficiently and are so prosperous, that they maintain several hundred regiments ready to join the Imperial Guard when needed. As a result regiments have fought all over the galaxy, often in campains alongside the Ultramarines themselves. ...

BTW: When GW replayed the battle of Macragge a few years ago, they used Valhallans as Auxillia. But that also could be, because it were the only minis in winterclothes...

White Dwarf US Issue 231, pp. 100-101 said

The Defense Force platoon snapped to attention as Sergeant Maxima strode out of the command bunker. Trooper Keyes shivered in the freezing cold, despite his thick uniform greatcoat. He watched as the master strode over to them. This was only the second time he had been this close to one of the masters and his curiosity burned inside him. It was said, back in the barracks to the south, that they had two hearts and could spit acid. Keyes strained his eyes to see any evidence of acid dripping from Sergeant Maxima's lips, but could see nothing. What he could see was the scars of centuries of fighting etched onto the veteran's skin. One eye had been replaced with a strange, artificial mechanism by the Tech-priests, and its glowing red gaze fixed Keyes with its unblinking stare.

"Is there a problem, Trooper Keyes?" Maxima asked him, stepping in front of the Defense Force volunteer, his massive frame blocking out the sun's light like a miniature eclipse. The Sergeant's voice was quiet and filled with authority. It was said that the masters always spoke quietly, because their hearing was so good. So good they could hear your heart beating from ten yards away. It was also said that they could smell your fear, and a trickle of cold sweat ran down Keyes' spine.

"N-nothing, my lord. There's no problem at all." he managed to reply, his jaw aching with the strain of not chattering in the cold. Keyes thought that the master didn't look the least put out by the arctic conditions. It was with momentary horror that Keyes noticed ice crystals encrusted on some of the master's waxy skin. If it was anyone else, Keyes thought, they'd be screaming with the pain of frostbite.

Maxima considered Keyes for a moment more and then stepped back. Raising his voice, the Sergeant addressed the assembled platoon.

"The xenomorphs will attack soon. Lord Calgar has ordered us to defend to the last man. There will be no surrender. Our glorious fleet is at this moment doing battle with the alien menace, and when it is victorious our warriors will return to relieve us. Men of Macragge, citizens of magnificent Ultramar, you are called upon to fight, and lay down your lives if necessary, in the defense of our realm. Do so with courage, for even as we stand here, the annals of history are being written. Let your names be remembered with pride." The sergeant finished with the customary salute of Ultramar, a fist clenched across the chest. Without a further word, Maxima turned around and strode easily through the thick snow, back towards the bunker.

"Die to the last man?" Brennan whispered harshly, his eye following the retreating form of the master. "That's alright for them to say, they're not really men at all."

"Shut it, Brennan!" Defense Sergeant Doric snapped. "It's their world as well, remember that!"

"Well, I'm just glad they're on our side." mumbled Keyes.

All eyes turned to the row of blue-armored Space Marines keeping their patient vigil at the wall.

"Aren't we all soldier," Doric replied, "aren't we all..."