Unit Tactica: Legion Centurion

Check out my continuing units tactics for the Horus Heresy at Pensacola Warhammer

To summarize my post, it's best to think of the Legion Centurion as a support HQ choice. A lot of what this unit will do and what he can take will based on what Consul choice you give him. Read my post and tell me what you think.

I agree with most of your points.

I like that there is no one go to consul.

My only change would be on the moritat. If fw allows dual plasma pistols then he is deadly.

Ether give him a jump pack or a destroyer squad, for ablative wounds, or both if points allow.

Chain fire should give about 14 S7 ap2 hits and two overheats (so take artificer armour). So he should be able to take down anything up to 10 cataphractii.

What is your opinion on not giving the centurion a consul upgrade?

@spu00sed

Having a Centurion without a consul upgrade seems to be missing something when compared to the whole of the Horus Heresy book: missions, other units, Legion specific rules, and general fluff. Not taking an upgrade is a very good way to save points. Without an upgrade, you get a captain level Space Marine with WS/BS 5, W 2, A 3, and I 5. A solid unit that you shouldn't pass over.

@spu00sed

Keep in mind that Destroyer Squads cannot have jump packs, and that is the only squad he can join. If he uses his Chain Fire, the Moritat cannot assault, or use shooting attacks in the next turn. That of course means the the Destroyer Squad that he's with cannot assault. The problem with this upgrade is that unless he is on foot with a Destroyer Squad then he is by himself and a target. You'll get one good round of shooting before you oppent opens fire on him, and that's if he survives to get close enough to use his pistols.

@spu00sed

Keep in mind that Destroyer Squads cannot have jump packs, and that is the only squad he can join. If he uses his Chain Fire, the Moritat cannot assault, or use shooting attacks in the next turn. That of course means the the Destroyer Squad that he's with cannot assault. The problem with this upgrade is that unless he is on foot with a Destroyer Squad then he is by himself and a target. You'll get one good round of shooting before you oppent opens fire on him, and that's if he survives to get close enough to use his pistols.

Destroyers can have jump packs, third bullet point option.

Missed the part about not charging.

However if you get the squad itching 6" then you can shoot

A pair of chaining plasma pistols

3" blast ap3 with flesh bane

3" blast S5 ap2 poison 3+

And 6 bolt pistols

True this ousts a minimum of 300pts, 335 with rhino, 395 with jump packs and you will want upgrades, such as artificer armour of the moritat won't kill himself, power weapons, maybe a few extra bodies, possible melts bombs.

Though I do agree it is a suicide unit, but it should remove a full size squad of terminators or marines.

Im going to deploy one, I just don't know if I want the jump packs. Though a missile launcher armed jump marine does look cool.

Interesting read, although I'm not sure you've got the Librarian right. You say "Given that he can have up to three different powers", but the section in the book states "Must take up to three levels of psychic master [...] A single psychic discipline [...] is then chosen"

So only ever one power, regardless of level. However it does state "chosen" rather than 'determined', so it would seem that you can choose your power.

Also I think the Charanabal Sabre is okay as a choice somewhere between CCW and Power Weapon if you're tight on points.

Interesting read, although I'm not sure you've got the Librarian right. You say "Given that he can have up to three different powers", but the section in the book states "Must take up to three levels of psychic master [...] A single psychic discipline [...] is then chosen"

So only ever one power, regardless of level. However it does state "chosen" rather than 'determined', so it would seem that you can choose your power.

Also I think the Charanabal Sabre is okay as a choice somewhere between CCW and Power Weapon if you're tight on points.

I read it differently

You can have three levels, and thus three powers. However you can't mix and match disciplines, you can only take from one. Though all the disciplines are available

I read it differently

You can have three levels, and thus three powers. However you can't mix and match disciplines, you can only take from one. Though all the disciplines are available

@spu00sed

Destroyers can have jump packs, third bullet point option.

Missed the part about not charging.

However if you get the squad itching 6" then you can shoot

A pair of chaining plasma pistols

3" blast ap3 with flesh bane

3" blast S5 ap2 poison 3+

And 6 bolt pistols

True this ousts a minimum of 300pts, 335 with rhino, 395 with jump packs and you will want upgrades, such as artificer armour of the moritat won't kill himself, power weapons, maybe a few extra bodies, possible melts bombs.

Though I do agree it is a suicide unit, but it should remove a full size squad of terminators or marines.

Im going to deploy one, I just don't know if I want the jump packs. Though a missile launcher armed jump marine does look cool.

You're correct about Destroyer Squad being able to take Jump packs. That's an oversight on my part since I have not got to them to create a tactica. My post also doesn't take into account Legion specific rules. I would imagine putting a Moritat with jump pack in a World Eaters legion would be sick. The two points that point out is a reason why I'm not particularly thrilled with the Moritat option. He's a basically a suicide unit that doesn't give you a benefit for his death, and he's expensive to upgrade to make sure he has some survivability and mobility.

I'm not denying that unloading a lot of plasma rounds into a terminator squad all Jon Woo style is not a fun thing to do.

Archived