Doubletapping Plasmaguns

Azatoth

"
A player can choose not to fire with a certain model if he prefers(...).
",BRB,
Pg

"
Remember that the player can decide that any model in a firing unit is not going to fire its weapon, however, if a model does fire, it must do so at full effect (so it cannot fire only two shots from its Heavy 3 weapon)
", BRB,
Pg

All or nothing.

Remember that the player can decide that any model in a firing unit is not going to fire its weapon, however, if a model does fire, it must do so at full effect (so it cannot fire only two shots from its Heavy 3 weapon

if you CHOOSE to rapid fire your PG it MUST do so with both shots, but if you dont choose to fire it rapid fire you can still fire the one shot.

its a rapid fire weapon, nothing prevents you from firing at a lower mode.

Remember that the player can decide that any model in a firing unit is not going to fire its weapon, however, if a model does fire, it must do so at full effect (so it cannot fire only two shots from its Heavy 3 weapon

if you CHOOSE to rapid fire your PG it MUST do so with both shots, but if you dont choose to fire it rapid fire you can still fire the one shot.

its a rapid fire weapon, nothing prevents you from firing at a lower mode.

Do you have a rules citation to back that up? That contradicts the rules quoted by dswanick above.

How does it contridect the rules above, a bolter has 2 fire modes, 2 shots withen 12 inches and 1 outside 12 inches to 24 inches, a HEAVY BOLTER is just heavy 3 so you must fire ALL 3 shots...

Page 52

"A model armed with a rapid fire weapon can fire two shots at a target up to half the weapons maximum range away. Alternatively, it can instead fire 1 shot at a target over half the weapons range away up to the weapons maximum firing range.

If a unit shooting rapid fire weapons is found to be partially within half range of the target, the firing models within half range fire two shots, while those farther away fire 1".

I see nothing allowing you to fire 1 shot within half range in the rules.

How does it contridect the rules above, a bolter has 2 fire modes, 2 shots withen 12 inches and 1 outside 12 inches to 24 inches, a HEAVY BOLTER is just heavy 3 so you must fire ALL 3 shots...

It contradicts because Toasterfree is saying you can fire 1 shot within half range.

Firing one shot with a weapon that is eligible to fire two is not using the weapon to "full effect", ergo you cannot elect to fire once if you're firing a Rapid Fire weapon inside Rapid Fire range.

This also means that you cannot remain stationary and fire a Psycannon as an Assault 2 weapon, you have to fire it as a Heavy 4 weapon or not at all. For clarity, Psycannons can only be Assault 2 if the wielder has moved.

I would disagree on that because the psycannon actually has 2 profiles and if it has 2 you pick, or else I can never fire frag missiles from a ML because a Krak missile is "The full effect"

I would disagree on that because the psycannon actually has 2 profiles and if it has 2 you pick, or else I can never fire frag missiles from a ML because a Krak missile is "The full effect"

A Missile Launcher's "full effect" is to fire one missile. Type of missile fired is quite irrelevant.

A psycannon does not have two profiles though. It is simply fired differently depending on whether you moved or not. Regardless, the psycannon is a non issue as you simply move the model a few tenths of an inch and then you can fire it as an Assault.

On the Rapid Fire weapons however, I agree with Res Ispa. Only firing 1 shot withing half range is not firing to full effect. It's also worth noting that Rapid Fire weapons don't stop being Rapid Fire if they are outside of half range

So to build upon that, I think I should not roll both dice for a plasmagun at once, but only roll the second after making sure the first didn't heat up and take out the shooter.

No because all shooting is simultaneous. Even if the "first" shot overheats the gun and the wearer takes the wound, the "second" shot could still go off and kill your target.

Archived