Power lance the best choice for this situation?

evilturkeyofdoom

I think people seem to agree that power lances are generally a duff choice.

What about for a priest with jetpack in a unit of Sanguinary Guard with a banner.

I have thought through the options and to me bolt pistol and power lance seems like the best choice

5 WS5 Str6 AP3 attacks on the charge is very nice.

Thoughts?

I would most consider lances on units with hit and run (say an honor guard with Dante), to get multiple charges off with the lances.

Had not consdiered it on a priest, interesting idea.

The problem with the lance is that unless you can guarantee you're NEVER getting charge or will NEVER be in combat a second round, you're using a weapon that is S4 AP4 instead of the S4 AP3 of the sword or S5, AP2, I1 of the axe.

Thats the main reason people don't advocate for lances. Because they can basically be turned off in the second round of combat. And if +1 S is making or breaking a charge, you probably shouldn't have made it that close a call to start with. Overwhelming force always beats individual quality.

For priests, I think its a matter of what you expect to attach it to. If the unit has an AP2 weapon already, give the priest a sword. If there aren't any AP2 weapons, give him an axe. For Sanguinary guard, 3 swords and 2 axes (or 4 swords and a fist works well too) typically performs beautifully against all targets.

Of course, since most things with 2+ armor beat the crap out of any unit shy of Hammernators, going purely with Swords across the board and being careful about targeting works well too.

Lances arent bad.

They are however VERY limited to the charge.

Better than swords and maces on the charge, worse off it (not really comparable to axes ever).

If you can get the charge, through skill or assault vehicles, lances are an excellent choice, either across the board (Sanguinary Guard) or the odd model (DC spring to mind)

"Of course, since most things with 2+ armor beat the crap out of any unit shy of Hammernators, going purely with Swords across the board and being careful about targeting works well too."

This is my general strategy.

I totally agree that lightning claws, swords etc are solid options in both rounds of combat, but having a priest impale 3 guys on the charge or destroy some nasty seargent with his spear certainly earns some cool points.

I think its not an automatic disregard as spears often are.

Archived