I finally found a reason to stop hating on mark VI armour!

AngelVeto

It anticipation of my November vow, I decided to pair a single tactical marine to act as a guide for when I star work on the actual vowed units... And I realized that I despise hand painting company badges.

I think it came out ok for my first painted badge, but I can already tell I will hate everyone I do. And Corvus greaves don't have knee pads to put badges on! I'm starting to wish I used more of the Corvus legs in my army haha!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/Angel_CMSS/5A82D8EA-0F05-45FF-85E0-E4F37FB480B1-6959-000004DD6C05BF55.jpg

That is extremely upsetting. So where does it go? Just at the top of the greave?

Iv put mine stretched along the top of the greave where the knee pad would usually be.

If you think you have it bad, im forming the whole of the 4th company. Their badge is very fiddly!

If you're having a bit of a nightmare painting the company badges you can stick the transfer onto the armour and then paint over the top of it for that awesome free-hand badge look! It's how i started out, particularly with round badges as i could never get the circle circular. This is a helpful technique on flat surfaces (dreads and tanks) and no legs without knee pads.

The 5th company badge is fairly easy though and if you plan on painting oone on every model you'll be a dab hand in no time at all.

Al

Pretty sure you don't need to put it on there if there is no knee pad. I haven't seen any GW Marines with that style of legs having a badge still on it. I am meaning any of the pics in the Codices showing different colors/chapters and whatnot either model or just pic.

Harleqvin... If you refer at the newer codices (from 3rd edition on) it can happen to see or not the company badges and squad markings even on marines who have the kneepads... and not only on DA marines... In the new BA codices the black trim on the shoulder pads disappears and reappears randomly while in 2nd edition it was always shown...

In the DA 2nd edition codex (AoD) there is the most detailed DA iconography guide and there is shown the company badges for each company (battle and reserve)... All these designs are round and if the marine has kneepads they are painted on the kneepad, if he wears a MKVI style greaves the design is painted in circular shape on the top part of the greave...

I alway paint the company badge even if it's time consuming and on Mk.VI greaves too... On that kind of graves i paint it near the top of the greave leaving a little border of green on the top... It looks very good...

Everyone is free to paint company badges or not on DA miniatures but my kudos go always to ones that decide to accept the challenge... :)

m2c

3rd company is not that easy... if you paint on Mk.VI greaves you have to paint the outline of a cirle in red and then the diagonal stripe...

IMHO i think that 5th company badge is easier...

4th company one is a nightmare though... i painted a command squad with the 3rd edition codex of 4th company... hand painting that badge is the most time consuming thing i did... even if i like it a lot...

3rd company is not that easy... if you paint on Mk.VI greaves you have to paint the outline of a cirle in red and then the diagonal stripe...

IMHO i think that 5th company badge is easier...

4th company one is a nightmare though... i painted a command squad with the 3rd edition codex of 4th company... hand painting that badge is the most time consuming thing i did... even if i like it a lot...

Be that as it may, I often trace a circle with pencil first, then go in. And honestly, I rarely use mk. VI anyways

Well, I did think of going fourth company as I could create and name my own company master... But that badge scared me away. I hate transfers personally, so everything is getting hand painted. Eventually I plan on having the entire chapter... But that's like 20 years down the road haha

Harleqvin... If you refer at the newer codices (from 3rd edition on) it can happen to see or not the company badges and squad markings even on marines who have the kneepads... and not only on DA marines... In the new BA codices the black trim on the shoulder pads disappears and reappears randomly while in 2nd edition it was always shown...

In the DA 2nd edition codex (AoD) there is the most detailed DA iconography guide and there is shown the company badges for each company (battle and reserve)... All these designs are round and if the marine has kneepads they are painted on the kneepad, if he wears a MKVI style greaves the design is painted in circular shape on the top part of the greave...

I alway paint the company badge even if it's time consuming and on Mk.VI greaves too... On that kind of graves i paint it near the top of the greave leaving a little border of green on the top... It looks very good...

Everyone is free to paint company badges or not on DA miniatures but my kudos go always to ones that decide to accept the challenge... :)

m2c

I realize I missed typed. I meant all not any. My bad guys. I haven't seen all with that type of leg have that from official GW. They don't always do it. Heck, They don't even always do it on the ones with Knee pads. lqtm

Cuurent codex page 57. The tac squad. 2 of the four with the greaves have it and 2 don't. There are many more times it isn't in there. Same in both 3rd ed codices. There aren't any Greenwing DA ones with the greaves in the 2nd ed but a couple of the BA in that codex don't have it on the greave type legs.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything just citing spots that it isn't done in GW source material.

So I would say by that it is ok to not do it on all of them. Although I would say it should be done on all with the knee pad. lqtm

Sometimes with the Mk.VI armor, I use the entire greave as the boundry for the company marking. So The 3rd Company stripe is a big diagonal red line across the whole shin. Might look even neater with the more complicated company badges like the 4th and 5th's.

Meh, it gets easier the more you do... And I dont do the Mk 6 legs either.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/firstsquad033.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9548.jpg

Archived