Alternative to Obliterators

So, here's my dilemma. It seems like my current army's best choice for some H. Weapon support are a squad of 3 nurgle obliterators. problem is, i have just never been that enthused about obliterators, and after some chaos divining rituals, i've determined it is because i just don't like the models much.

So i pose it to you, oh wise and venerable forum posters, what do you think would be perhaps a cool conversation or model substitute for the oblits? Best i could come up with were Tomb Kings Ushabti, converted so their 2h weapons are also guns and painted up to look like hellish statues animated by chaos influence.

Any constructive suggestions would be most welcome.

There are several unusual things you could do, but here are some easy and straightforward options:

1. Take a page from the IG and make them heavy weapon teams? Two CSM on a single 40mm base with a few nasty big guns could do the trick.

2. Make them terminators with unusual weapons- just give them a lot of big guns.

The Ushabti concept is interesting, but they look unmistakably Egyptian, and I think they would look pretty strange in a Nurgle-dedicated force.

There are several unusual things you could do, but here are some easy and straightforward options:

1. Take a page from the IG and make them heavy weapon teams? Two CSM on a single 40mm base with a few nasty big guns could do the trick.

2. Make them terminators with unusual weapons- just give them a lot of big guns.

The Ushabti concept is interesting, but they look unmistakably Egyptian, and I think they would look pretty strange in a Nurgle-dedicated force.

Thanks for the suggestions, the first one is kinda obvious now that you said it, kinda silly I never thought of that haha.

My initial post may have been misleading, as while the oblits are marked by nurgle, the rest of the army is not, with a mix oh khorne and nurgle present.

I came up with the Ushabti idea myself, since I'm playing kSons + Nurgle-rules units and my army is going to be counts-as heavy (Queen Khalida as Sorcerer, Prince Apophas as Typhus, Necrosphinx as Forge/Maulerfiend, colorful VC Dire Wolves as Chaos Spawns, etc.), so I think it's a brilliant one :)

There was a trick that I saw once, though it was in relation to Thousand Sons' Oblits:

Termie sorcerers! Just declare what they are and make them individual to a normal sorcerer (if you have any) to show what they are. You can use fluff to explain away their added Toughness as well, plus the different weapons can be called different powers.

I seems I am not alone in my quest for better oblits lol.

I must say, everyone's solutions are really cool, and the conversions are very nice.

The sorcerer unit has caught my imagination though. The idea of explaining how a unit of like, 3 sorcerers can fire all these heavy weapons by saying "a wizard did it" amuses me.

Not the greatest photos but I made mine from fen beasts converted into molten metal monsters.

I guess for nurgle they could be made into some kind of plague beasts.

gallery_61128_7828_108629.jpg

Ohh! Reminds me of the vampire bad ass in the novel Deadspeak.

It seems like no one likes the GW Oblits...

I've converted my own using Terminators as the base. Its a very simple yet effective method. All you need are a couple of terminators of any variety (I used chaos and SW), some green stuff and a few spare heavy weapons.

My IW Obliterators and a WIP Obliterator (just scroll done the pages and you'll see the Oblits) :P

Maybe use a single chaos space marine and make him look like a techmarine or a chaos inflicted techmarine. Then use greenstuff, wire, cables and maybe a few flying bases to looks like guns are dangling next to him or hover near him. Kinda like he has a swarm of guns to control (kinda like a swarm of flies since your nurgle) and some he has mounted on his harness or grafted onto him through chaos warp means. I know it sounds silly with the idea of flying guns, but I'm sure if you get the good balance of menacing without being over crowded it might be effective

I converted some of my own as well, specifically for Nurgle; for example:

Nurgle themed obliterators tutorial: http://crankyoldgamer.net/CrankyBlog/?p=564

All posts on Nurgle themed obliterators: http://crankyoldgamer.net/CrankyBlog/?tag=obliterators

http://www.crankyoldgamer.net/img/miniatures/40k/chaos/obliterators/oblit9/001.jpg

http://www.crankyoldgamer.net/img/miniatures/40k/chaos/obliterators/oblit9/003.jpg

http://www.crankyoldgamer.net/img/miniatures/40k/chaos/obliterators/oblit9/005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
old, old kai gun

Wait, there was a model for a kai gun? How old are we talking, I don't remember hearing about that

This Guy came with an arm that was to represent the Kai Gun.

Kins of Bolter proportions, with a plasma coil both at the top and bottom, and dragon mouth head that you can see in Snejk's picture.

Archived