Suggestions for a mixed list

Kol Saresk

So recently there has been much discussion by some Chaos players that they would leave this Dex and just go Heresy and some are just going to make a list for each one. I'll ask you this. What you guys(and girls) as a general consensus would think would make a decent list that can be modular enough to go say, from a Heresy game straight to a 40k game. What are the two closest, say 1500 points list that you guys up with that could be switched from one to the other with as little problems as possible. Say, switch around one or two minis, or even units if necessary. Restrictions, has to be a general list. Must try to avoid a "Legion", if at all possible. Note, I am not doing this to come up with my own list because I'm lazy or something. I just want to see if it is possible and what you guys, as the Chaos crowd, come up with. So without further ado,

Are we discussing lists from Horus Heresy Vol.1?? Maybe I'm alittle confused on the matter but does that book contain general rules and lists for ALL Legions present in the Heresy or just a single (general consensus) list that covers the basic layout for the Legions??

Yes and no. What I'm trying to see is possible is if we can come up with a no-Legion(or as close to one as possible) list in the Heresy volumes that can be interchangeable with the 6th Edition Chaos Codex. Obviously count-as will be taken into acount. i just want to see if it is possible. It doesn't have to be some sort of super-duper-ultra-competitive-tournament-slayer list. Just a list. It doesn't have to be 1500 points either, I just threw that number out there.

hm, generally interchangable:

Abaddon

lord - praetor

sorcerer/warpsmith/dark apostle - centurion

terminators

chosen - veterans

hellbrute - dreadnought

zerkers - rampagers

CSM - tactical/support squad

rhino

bikes - outriders

raptors - assault squad

Havocs - heavy support squad

land raider/vindicator/predator

obliterator - techmarines

forgefiend - contemptor

unfortunately, it's the stuff that doesn't transfer that make the armies unique, characterful and interesting (artillery, volkites, spartans, lots of unit upgrades like artificer/hardened armor, marks, spawn, daemon princes), but here we go:

[CSM] Lord - TDA (105) [HH] Praetor + TDA (135)

[CSM] Dark apostle (105) [HH] Chaplain centurion (85)

[CSM] 5 Terminators - axe/combiplas (184) [HH] (210)

[CSM] 20 CSM + CCW, PF, IoV (333) [HH] 20 Tacticals + CCW, Vexilla, PF (315)

[CSM] 20 CSM + CCW, PF, IoV (333) [HH] 20 Tacticals + CCW, Vexilla, PF (315)

[CSM] 2x 5 Havocs + 4AC (230) [HH] 10 Heavy supports + 10 AC (285)

[CSM] Predator + LC (115) [HH] (125)

--> [CSM] 1455 - [HH] 1470

I think it's possible if you play Night Lords or Iron Warriors. The other legions are widely different beasts after the heresy, and even if you replace the HH tanks with Defilers and such, it would look off.

Those 2 legions look mucj the same, so mixing some more chaotic units to use with the chaos codex would look nice. I wouldn't do that for World Eaters, Word Bearers or Death Guard, for example.

But I would model a normal chaos/khorne warband in World Eaters colors... Berzerkers and the like, lots of blood spats and stain to their knees, like just after the heresy, but a but before all the armor warping and dyed by gore. It's an idea for the future ;)

Yeah, i mean I wasn't expect a complete and total crossover. But maybe do something like "These are the core units for both armies" and then have just say, any vehicle options I could take for both armies point-wise and then just switch out those units. The reason being is that I can't just go around splurging on minis, as much as I would love to. But at the very least, I could build a core army and then just have to worry about the specials. I'm not going to drop the Chaos Space Marine Codex but at the same time, I would like to maybe try out some 30K games. Easiest way to compromise is to either build two separate armies, or build a semi-modular list that has a core section that can switch between both games, if proper modeling is taken care of, and then just switch out the special units. Like Forgefiends for the Chaos and say, Spartans I think are the gun platforms for FW right?

bolter marines. I guess both sides will have those. Question then is, if both sides also have CCW's. But, modelling wise its just hard, as the 40k chaos marines, are much more chaosy, or atleast more flayed skin, skulls and what not, then their 30k brothers. I also guess there will be preds, land raiders, bikers. No vindicators. There will be raptors/assault marines, terminators. Chosen could represent veterans. And so on.

rapiers are the artillery, spartans are oversized land raiders with 25 capacity and quad lascans. the forgefiend might pose well as a mortis pattern contemptor dread (kheres assault gun or dual plasma).

No vindicators.

yes, vindicators. not in squadrons, like preds, but as a single HS choice. and tactical squads buy an extra CCW just like chaos marines (but are cheaper to begin with). as for the modeling, IW or NL practically never became chaosy, while WE certainly had their skulls and chains from the start - there is a lot of grey area in between until the 41st millennium.

rapiers are the artillery, spartans are oversized land raiders with 25 capacity and quad lascans. the forgefiend might pose well as a mortis pattern contemptor dread (kheres assault gun or dual plasma).

Hmm, thanks for the suggestion. Not exactly what I meant though. Close though. I didn't mean that I was going to count-as the Forgefiend into the 30K army or vice versa, but I see where I got confusing. What I meant was, like okay two normal Dakka-Dakka Fiends cost 350 at 175 points each. Now it's just a matter of replacing the models with another similar model in terms of weapons so I can just fill in the hole in points from where I took out the Forgefiends. Not sure if that helps explain it better.

But thanks for the info. Who knows, I just might replace the Fiends with Dakka Dreads if the points fit. Oh, the Land Raider Achilles was what I was thinking about, with the huge Assault Cannon up front and the quad-las sponsoons.

not sure if i get it, but most of the time, HH is within +/- 30 pts of it's 40k equivalent, depending on your restraint from exotic weapon options.

The achilles is cool, but the HH quad mortar main gun is not as good as the 40k thunderfire cannon because the lack of a cover-ignoring fire mode. I'd prefer a spartan with armored ceramite and flare shields, or a storm eagle for air superiority. Both have FW models, but are only a few bitz and scraps of plasticard away from the 40k storm raven/LR plastic kits if you enjoy converting.

Archived