Overwatch Rule

Fallen Avenger

When a charge against a unit is declared, the unit can choose to fire "Overwatch" at the assaulting unit before the charge move is made. The models can only fire 'snap shots' (i.e. at BS1, and some weapons may not be used at all), and the wounds caused by the Overwatch fire will not cause a morale test or pinning. After the shots have been resolved, the assaulting unit makes its charge move.

A unit can only perform a single Overwatch fire per turn, and cannot do so if it is already locked in combat with another unit.

Point of order: blast weapons cannot be fired either, and vehicles cannot fire overwatch, the exception of course being walkers.

Also, the overwatch is done before rolling to see how far the unit charges, which can in some cases result in units being (slightly) shot-up for nothing.

Quick question on the same subject, if you are assaulted by more than one unit are you allowed to choose who to overwatch against or do you have to shoot at the first one that declares it's charge?

Had this question a couple of weeks ago and it went to a roll-off on what to do...

Do you:

A: Declare all your Charges -> Overwatch -> Charge move

B: Declare Charge -> Overwatch -> Charge move -> Next unit

Would be good to know.

Quick question on the same subject, if you are assaulted by more than one unit are you allowed to choose who to overwatch against or do you have to shoot at the first one that declares it's charge?

Had this question a couple of weeks ago and it went to a roll-off on what to do...

Do you:

Would be good to know.

If you look on page 20 of the main rulebook you'll see the assault phase summary. Declare a charge, resolve overwatch, roll charge range, charge move, declare next charge.

So a smart Ork player will declare a charge with the grot unit first to draw out the overwatch and then send in the unit of nobs. If you choose not to shoot at the grots you take your chances but if the grots reach your unit you won't be able to fire overwatch at that nob unit as your already in close combat.

Do you:

Would be good to know.

Page 20, black/grey box bottom left. You declare one charge at a time, resolve it and then go onto the next charge. So if the first charge is successful, you only get one Overwatch, because you're now locked in combat when you receive the second charge. If the first charge is unsuccessful, you get a second Overwatch if another unit charges, as you're still not in combat. And so on and so forth.

So if the first charge is successful, you only get one Overwatch, because you're now locked in combat when you receive the second charge. If the first charge is unsuccessful, you get a second Overwatch if another unit charges, as you're still not in combat. And so on and so forth.

The highlighted part is incorrect, Pg.21 states that a unit may only ever make one Overwatch per turn.

I'd like to add a question if I may,

Reading about over watch now (p.20/21) and I don't see anything restricting the number of shots overwatch-shooters can make. Sure you get one overwatch attack but if you've got a rapid fire weapon can you pop off two overwatch shots, for example?

I had a feeling it was one shot each, and played it so in a game today but now wanted to check.

So if the first charge is successful, you only get one Overwatch, because you're now locked in combat when you receive the second charge. If the first charge is unsuccessful, you get a second Overwatch if another unit charges, as you're still not in combat. And so on and so forth.

The highlighted part is incorrect, Pg.21 states that a unit may only ever make one Overwatch per turn.

Ah I missed that, thanks.

My wrath shall be swift and vengeful at my LGS. :eek

Archived