How do challenges end

Polythemus

The question for the brain trust stands, in what ways does a challenge end? It would appear there are several involuntary ways for a challenge to end, but are there any voluntary ways?

Involuntary ways for ending a challenge.

One character kills another.

Challenge is a draw but character unit loses combat and flees. Note that atsknf makes it so that fleeing units caught must restart/reissue their challenge. Not sure if this challenge must be fought or can be denied.

Glorious intervention brings about challenge with a new character.

Voluntary ways for ending a challenge?

This is something i am less clear on. Rule book states (paraphrasing) that a challenge may be issued every fight subphase. But it also states that a challenge that has not been settled must continue until one of the above options occurs. I think that the latter of these perspectives is correct but im not really clear on this and it has come up in two games ive played where opponents have argued that they can leave challenges they no longer wish to fight.

There are no volunteery ways to end a challenge, other than picking up all your toy soldiers and going home. Challenges are fought until one opponent is dead, or the game ends. And since characters may switch out each turn of the challenge, it is possible for a fight to last all 7 turns with no unsaved wounds earned on either side. Most likely is one opponent is crushed on the 1st or 2nd round of fighting.

SJ

There are no volunteery ways to end a challenge, other than picking up all your toy soldiers and going home. Challenges are fought until one opponent is dead, or the game ends. And since characters may switch out each turn of the challenge, it is possible for a fight to last all 7 turns with no unsaved wounds earned on either side. Most likely is one opponent is crushed on the 1st or 2nd round of fighting.

SJ

It may be possible to withdraw if you can not hurt your opponent and you survive after loosing a round of combat. That and Glorious Intervention are the only ways to voluntarily leave a challenge.

There are no volunteery ways to end a challenge, other than picking up all your toy soldiers and going home. Challenges are fought until one opponent is dead, or the game ends.

Assuming neither challenger dies, challenges are fought until the combat ends. If one unit has Hit and Run or another way to voluntarily end the combat then an active challenge neither prevents that nor continues after the combat has ended.

The question for the brain trust stands, in what ways does a challenge end? It would appear there are several involuntary

This is something i am less clear on. Rule book states (paraphrasing) that a challenge may be issued every fight subphase. But it also states that a challenge that has not been settled must continue until one of the above options occurs. I think that the latter of these perspectives is correct but im not really clear on this and it has come up in two games ive played where opponents have argued that they can leave challenges they no longer wish to fight.

I think the part about reissuing challenges in each sub phase means that if you have a sarge and IC in the same squad, once the sarge eats it, they can still challenge your IC. That's all.

Archived