Authenticating a Forgeworld sculpt... how?

Anaraion

Greetings,

I am just trying to determine how I can authenticate if I am looking at a real Forgeworld scupt or a recast? My friend has a friend who is selling one but I am getting a funny vibe. I am going to go look at it this weekend but wanted some knowledge before I go. Is there any markings on the scupt somewhere i can look to verify authenticity?

The scupt in question looks like the cover to our old codex...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_4nzgPbHlNo4/SdEsMPYMPAI/AAAAAAAAEkw/BYBLiK85X2g/s320/space-wolves-cover.jpg

Thank you in advance... /bow.

Well, for starters, look for a double mould-line. 99.9% of recasters can't seem to get around that one. Just be careful to look real close - the smarter ones file away most or all of the obvious lines.

with a Little search fu, I've been able to find a few old pics of the in question model

Here is a link to an old ebay auction with photos of the packaging which also shows its item code. In this picture, it appears the item is made of resin.

Here is a forum post about a guy bragging about how he bought this item. The post dates back to '06 and it was out of print even then. However, in his photo, the item appears to be either plastic or it could just have been based grey before he took the picture. The article then goes to show many of the discontinued busts and statues that forgeworld used to make. Take this with a grain of salt since they may have changed their material with different print runs.

As far as verification, original packaging goes a long way for me. Also, even if it is a forgery, if it appears to be made of quality material, it's a high quality recast, and you're not planning on selling it painted as an official forgeworld model, I say go for it.

However, if he doesn't give you ample time to inspect the model or anything of the sort, the likelihood of it being a forgery is much more likely.

If you really want to check it out, I would possibly contact forgeworld's customer service and ask them. It may be a waste of time but it wouldn't hurt. The old item code is FWC004. Also, who knows, maybe they have one lying around that they haven't been able to get rid of for a decade lol

EDIT - Found another source for verification. It's an old INFERNO Magazine (WFB and 40k fluff magazine) issue from Jul/Aug '00. Pg 65. In its add, it states that it is made of resin so we know this for a fact now! For some reason, this site won't allow me to link to this source directly and when I try it changes it to games-workshop.com. Instead, here is a link to my google search. It was option 2 for me and click the link to INFERNO! MAGAZINE

Wow!!

I normally consider my Search Fu adequate... :D .

Thank you very much. Like I said I should go see the figure in question soon so hopefully I can confirm all I need. Hopefully it will all be okay and he just has some other issue and I am over reacting :).

But thanks again!!

And for those curious here is what the scupt in question looks like and my hope is I will be look at an original... :).

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/stupad/IMG_0413.jpg

I have one of those models on my workbench right now, still half-painted. (Like most of my collection, anyway.) Forgeworld has used different colors of resin over the years. Sometimes white, sometimes it has more of a gray color to it. It kinda depends on what the subject matter is. Also, it is possible that the model you are attempting to purchase has a coat of primer on it. However, if it is a recast, it will likely be lacking some of the detail in the hair/fur pieces, or that detail may be "soft" instead of "crisp."

It looks like a recast to me. Just a feeling based on the color. Unless you are planning on reselling it, or if the detail is terrible (seems fine to me) I don't think it should be such a big deal.

Just to be clear the picture is not the scupt I may be buying. It is some random (supposedly real) scupt from I got when I googled "'space wolves' forgeworld".

If I get the scupt I will post my pics of my actual scupt here :).

It looks like a recast to me. Just a feeling based on the color. Unless you are planning on reselling it, or if the detail is terrible (seems fine to me) I don't think it should be such a big deal.

Just to be clear the picture is not the scupt I may be buying. It is some random (supposedly real) scupt from I got when I googled "'space wolves' forgeworld".

If I get the scupt I will post my pics of my actual scupt here :huh:.

Actually, this is what Forge World's SW resin statue looks like.

If the sculpt in question, doesn't match the one in the photo, don't buy it.

Okay apologies as what I want to say is clearly not what I am typing :lol: .

What I am trying to say is the picture is of a random Forgeworld scupt model number FWC004 series number number XXX of ZZZ I found here on the internet...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...ace-Wolf-Statue

While I will be looking at the same model number scupt FWC004, my series number will be YYY of ZZZ... barring a huge miraculous coincidence.

My whole point for this thread was simply to try and insure that I was looking at an authentic FWC004 Forgeworld scupt.

Does that make sense?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I saw the scupt in question and I now know his concern at showing me the scupt... the axe had broken off and was repaired. Once we had that in the open i felt very comfortable about everything. He said he had gotten off a friend and he thought it original but had no documentation or any proof. So that still leads me to ask...

I have one of those models on my workbench right now, still half-painted. (Like most of my collection, anyway.) Forgeworld has used different colors of resin over the years. Sometimes white, sometimes it has more of a gray color to it. It kinda depends on what the subject matter is. Also, it is possible that the model you are attempting to purchase has a coat of primer on it. However, if it is a recast, it will likely be lacking some of the detail in the hair/fur pieces, or that detail may be "soft" instead of "crisp."

Hey Ironwulf... just wondering is there any marking on your scupt showing that yours is original? The one I am looking at has excellent detail and just amazes me, still I am curious. Thanks ;)!!

Hey Ironwulf... just wondering is there any marking on your scupt showing that yours is original? The one I am looking at has excellent detail and just amazes me, still I am curious. Thanks :verymad:!!

Well, there isn't any kind of "certificate of authenticity" on these Forgeworld models. Some of the TINIEST detail on mine is the sculptor's signature on the back, amongst the rocks. I would look for "EGAN" and a small "GW" on the base.

Also, the axe on mine broke, but I wasn't concerned about it much. A spot of superglue fixed it fine. That's just something that occasionally happens with resin.

Hey Ironwulf... just wondering is there any marking on your scupt showing that yours is original? The one I am looking at has excellent detail and just amazes me, still I am curious. Thanks :P!!

Well, there isn't any kind of "certificate of authenticity" on these Forgeworld models. Some of the TINIEST detail on mine is the sculptor's signature on the back, amongst the rocks. I would look for "EGAN" and a small "GW" on the base.

Also, the axe on mine broke, but I wasn't concerned about it much. A spot of superglue fixed it fine. That's just something that occasionally happens with resin.

Thank you very much for the info Ironwulf!!

I have found the Egan, but the GW eludes me. Any chance you could get a pic or be a little more specific on where to look? Thank you!!

If you are looking at the back of the sculpt, where the backpack is glued on, the GW in to the left of EGAN, and is at the very bottom of my model…

With this conversation, you have kinda given me a bit of motivation to dust off my model and maybe actually FINISH the dang thing...

Archived