Wolf Guard Terminators in a foot slogging list

Wolf Boy23

Im still trying to figure out my new space wolf army and im debating between foot slogging and drop pods or a mix. But my question is how are WG terminators in foot running across the board since they cant deep strike unless in a drop pod and if im on foot that would be my only drop pod which would leave them standed out in the middle of the table. So what is the best load out and how many should be in the squad. Or would it be better to put a IC with saga of the hunter in and outflank with them.

Thanks for the help

In general, Space Wolf Terminators are midrange to close range units, much like the majority of their power armored Brethren. I imagine they can work walking alongside some Grey Hunters (You'll probably want to keep the storm bolters then, and maybe a heavy flamer in the unit if you don't add a Cyclone Missile Launcher bearer as a pack leader for a squad), but personally, when I've drawn up lists, they tend to fall into the role of an anvil to the Thunderwolf Cavalry's hammer, by drop podding down and blasting a tank with combi-weapons.

If you do, take big squads. Big Scary squads with cyclones. Keep em fairly cheap and throw in a few storm sheilds, Ids say 1 for every 5.

Youre footslogging space wolves, everything you have is mid-range, and terminators rip things apart mid-range. 20 bolter rounds and 4 frags at 24" is terrifying.

Use them to eat eat shells for your GH squads, who should be kited out to kill things in combat as well as shoot them. Either way, somethings not getting shot at, and the termainators will be a menace in combat too. Keep them supported and use longfangs to take down anything nasty and big so your terminators can shred infantry. I like a mix of power fists and wolf claws with a few combimeltas thrown in for good measure.

You could also be a real jerk and give them a RP with Divination.

Honestly, you can get a lot value out of them in a footslogging list by using TDA WG as pack leaders. Give them a SS and put them up front. This gives your GH packs a lot more suriviabilty while in the open but can be infuriating when one bolter wound gets through and you roll a 1. You also lose 1 big threatening unit by going that route.

I have run a couple different lists with Wolf Guard Terms, and I find the most successful way to do it is with Logan leading the way. I always have him with a full 10 man squad and have at least 2 storm shields in front of him. Cyclones are the best for footslogging IMO. I usually have a couple of 5 man squads to take objectives and hold the flanks. Having a 5 man squad in a drop pod is nice because you can drop it behind enemy and deal some death. Your opponent will fire just about everything at the drop pod squad which will allow you to move the foot squads forward into position. Being terminators, they will most likely survive for at least a round and if they do, you can put your enemy in between a fang and a hard place. With this strategy, if I get first turn, I have always gotten first blood. If you roll well, slay the warlord isn't to hard to achieve with all those precise shots you can throw.

I personally like rolling with a Logan Term army.

If using them in a normal build, 5 Wolf Guard in a drop pod can be a devastating thing. As I said earlier, if you put them behind enemy lines, your opponent is going to shoot the crap out of them allowing your Grey Hunters time to move up the board or into cover. Wolf Guard Terminators have always pulled their weight for me. In 6th, they have gotten better.

I've been running two full squads of grey hunters. One with double melta, and one with double plasma.

Sticking an assault cannon tdawg in with the plasma and a THSS tdawg in with the melta squad gives you a squad that will be effective at close range, and one at long range.

I then stick my two rune priests in.

Melta squad, JOTWW Living Lightning

Plasma squad, Divination..

It's sick, you get the best of both..

Then you have your last 3 termies with double wolf claws hiding behind the melta squad.

Then on top of all of this, Thunderwolves, with 3 ss and 1 th.

Then my coveted 4 PC Long fangs...

I don't understand the argument that WG terminators (or WG terminators with storm shields) are a good way of absorbing fire. Or, incidentally, the argument that their storm bolters are devastating.

A plan WG terminator costs 2.2x as much as a grey hunter. For that cost, you get:

2x the survivability against AP4+

6x the survivability against AP3

1.5x the survivability against AP2

Unless you're planning on absorbing a LOT of AP3, it's not point efficient to put the WG out front.

In terms of shooting, for 2.2x the cost, you get:

2x the shooting power at 24"

1x the shooting power at 12".

Sure, 10 WG terminators fire off a lot of storm bolter shots at 24", but you can do even better with Grey Hunters.

A TDA WG /w SS costs 48 points - 3.2 times as much as a grey hunter. For this price you get:

2x the survivability against AP4+

6x the survivability against AP3

3x the survivability against AP2.

3 grey hunters will last just as long against plasma as a TDA WG /w SS and cost less. They also pack more punch in both shooting and melee (lone exception: TDA WG /w SS + Power Axe vs. 2+ save).

Personally, I think the strength of TDA WG is that they are relentless, and have access to combi-weapons and cheap special melee weapons.

A unit of wolf guard who pop out of a LRC, offload all their (rapid fire!) plasma/melta into an enemy unit (or its transport) and then follow it up with a charge (potentially against a transport's occupants) backed up with mass power axes and wolf claws (maybe a couple of WC+PF WG hanging in the back), is a pretty scary thing, and I think might be worth the points.

Of course, then you're paying for a land raider crusader. Although they're pretty good, they may not be the best match for your foot-slogging list.

I think if you expect wolf guard to pay its points back solely through their 2+ save and their storm bolter shots, the numbers suggest you'll be disappointed. IMO.

i'm using a TDA wolf guard pack + TDA runepriest in my guardlist for some much needed close combat and pyschic power boost. i always had them walking so far for the same reason as you that a lone pod will have them stranded on their own, and taking a second pod is just 30pts wasted. i've considered running them in a land raider, however i've not been that impressed by my land raider crusader.

even though shooting wolf guard may not necesarrlily win their points back, it is also important to see how much fire they draw. a vindicator that always seems to get blown up in the first turn might seem like a bad inclusion in the list, untill you take into account how that small vehicle just had half of your opponetns army fire at it

even though shooting wolf guard may not necesarrlily win their points back, it is also important to see how much fire they draw. a vindicator that always seems to get blown up in the first turn might seem like a bad inclusion in the list, untill you take into account how that small vehicle just had half of your opponetns army fire at it

The mathhammer above seems to indicate to me that they will absorb less firepower before dying than a similarly priced grey hunters unit (actually, if you kit out the grey hunters heavily, it might be very close. If you load up the WG TDA with upgrade, however, it will swing the other way.)

It's not irrational for your opponent to direct all firepower at the TDA WG, because in actually, they're a pinata. They are a vulnerable target next to the grey hunters. Also, they are more melee-oriented than grey hunters, due to relentless and their power weapons etc. They make their points back by offloading their combi weapons and charging into melee. In other words, yes, they'll draw fire, but this is a bad thing for you and a good thing for your opponent, in terms of points (which is only one side of the equation. It's relevant to what you choose to include in your list, but less relevant once the game has actually started. At that point you should be focused on firepower instead of points. It's a bit harder to weigh this up because you have to weigh shooting vs. melee somehow...)

I haven't done the math on the vindicator, but if it concedes its points cost to less firepower than a grey hunters unit would (if you're talking about lascannons and melta guns, I'm imagining that it would) then it's not points-efficient as a damage sponge. If it takes half your opponents army t

1. A WG terminator squad in a LR type.

2. A WG terminator squad in a drop pod.

3. A 10man WG terminator squad foot slogging.

With the new shooting rules in 6th, a storm shield every 5th WG, means one WG out of five WG will be surviving some serious firepower.

I rather have one CML every 5 WG terminators.

As far as combi-weapons go, I'm just not a fan. I rather have the standard storm bolter for the long run, than a bolter that was bolted onto an one-shot meltagun.

And there's always the, Lone Wolf. Terminator armor, storm shield, chainfist, and the optional 2 wolves.

• 2 months later...

I don't understand the argument that WG terminators (or WG terminators with storm shields) are a good way of absorbing fire. Or, incidentally, the argument that their storm bolters are devastating.

There are a few reasons here to take TDA/SS equipped PLs, especially in GH packs. The first is that you can't just take more GHs in your pack. Yes, the WGPL will be worth 3-4 more GH, but if your pack is 10, then you can't take anymore; in this way, WGPLs add to survivability. Another reason is psychological on your part: you would be more willing to play offensively with your mid-range troops if you knew that you could take saves against fire that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Krak missiles, plasma fire - these things cause us to play more defensively. Your WGPL buys you time to make it to the next piece of cover. Your WGPL will also play psychological games with your opponent: enemy psyker attacks like Smite may not be used against you if your opponent knows you'll get a 3+ save against it.

The exact math-hammer is annoying because as soon as the WGPL fails his save, the resulting averages change. The general point is that you would get to take saves (often good ones) against fire that would otherwise straight-out kill your troops. Statistically, it's probably about even - that's why they'll be points-equivalent - but let me tell you a story:

My GH squad had just piled out of a Rhino before getting hit with a Chaos battlecannon directly - 9 hits. Thankfully, the fire was directional and I got a 4+ cover save. Statistically, 4-5 guys should have died... I made 9 saves. They then went on to rapid-fire down a Greater Daemon of Khorne. I'm not saying that next time I should expect to make all my saves, but it's the fact that I got to roll the dice anyway.

Your WGPLs with shields have the potential to save your squads against lots of anti-marine fire. They also can get killed by the first lasgun beam that hits him. But it's just more fun - more legendary - to see your dudes beat the odds. That's one of the reasons we chose to play Space Puppies in the first place, isn't it?

my question is how are WG terminators in foot running across the board since they cant deep strike unless in a drop pod and if im on foot that would be my only drop pod which would leave them standed out in the middle of the table. So what is the best load out and how many should be in the squad.

There really is no set standard because WG are so flexible. I prefer WGPLs both to max slogging GHs at 11 strong + hvy weapon (more important now with the latest FAQ change) and also to skimp on podded squads while still accessing double melta which can be cheaper than a full pack of GHs.

I also use podded WG unit(s) all with combi weapons and about half the time some mixture of TDA and PA, although 5 with PA and combi weapons still works great as a suicide squad. 

I dont put them in ground transports if I can avoid it, just preference from personal experience and others may disagree but the loss of TDA as an option is the main factor.

Mine often die to the first or second freaking wound which is annoying but they have also been epic at tying up ap3 ICs and really become tough in CC with the wolf standard as already stated. I recently had one pass 29 successful saves over 2 turns before finally dropping to a 35 strong horde of 'ard boyz. At least he thinned the ork population on his way down..

Im pretty new to 40k and Space Wolves in general, but I do like my terminators. Right now I put them in a drop pod and drop them behind enemy lines. I am seriously considering giving nearly all of them storm shields, to be honest. In fact, if I could put a storm shield on every model I have in my army I think I would. Las Cannons, plasma weapons - all of them are very popular among my local opponents, and they make armor saves irrelevant. Rolling 1's against anything sucks, but generally my terminators clear a unit or two off my opponent before they go down. I have one with an autocannon and chainfist, one with Thunder Hammer and SS, one with T Hammer and S Bolter, one with power sword and storm bolter, and one with a wolf claw and storm bolter. 

There was no cyclone missile launcher in the box set, dammit, so I couldn't have that. Im currently thinking about using both the Deathwind pods out of my Drop Pod sprues to kitbash one up. I'd need another Terminator body, but that's doable. 

Archived