A question about rolling on the boon table

steve shields

I had a game this weekend where my lord and his squad fired at a dreadnight killing it. the wounds that did him in were the plasma from the lord's combi weapon/the plague marines he was with. how would you determine if he was the one who got the last wound on the dreadnight. obviously if the chaos player got to choose they would make the dreadnight take the lords plasma saves last, while the opposite is true for if the opponent gets to chose. does anyone know what to do in this situation?

Boon rolls happen whenever a guy with the "Champions of Chaos" rule kills an enemy Character. If the Dreadknight is a character then go for it, make a roll.

The Chaos Codex says that the champion doesn't need to remove the last wound but just cause a wound and have the enemy die (so in your case, a bunch of wounds from the Plague Marines and one from your champion means he is quids in).

It's not just in challenges, the boon roll happens from shooting and in general combat too James :)

Boon rolls happen whenever a guy with the "Champions of Chaos" rule kills an enemy Character. If the Dreadknight is a character then go for it, make a roll.

The Chaos Codex says that the champion doesn't need to remove the last wound but just cause a wound and have the enemy die (so in your case, a bunch of wounds from the Plague Marines and one from your champion means he is quids in).

It's not just in challenges, the boon roll happens from shooting and in general combat too James :)

Sp4rky, I'm not sure if this one is correct either...your champ has to kill the model, meaning the last wound has to be caused from him, AKA you cant have your champ inflict a scratch and have the unit finish them off. I just looked at the codex and I didn't see anything except for "when the champ kills an enemy character", so I'm running off of that logic.

pg. 28, right hand column, couple of sentences in...

If an enemy character dies as a result of multiple Wounds being allocated to it simultaneously, and one or more of those Wounds were caused by the champion, that champion still rolls on the boon table.

So as long as the Champion caused a wound (which in the example at the top, it looks like he did - no mention in the rule about Unsaved wounds) then as long as the enemy character dies we're all good.

Am I the only one who actually dreads rolling boons after killing a character? Now, I haven't actually done this yet, but I'm sure the first time this happens for my Lord, he'll turn into a Spawn. Or even a naked DP would be quite the downgrade :(

As for what sp4rky said, I'd think that RAI refers to unsaved wound ('cause that's what would make sense), but RAW... yeah, I suppose it is even saved wounds.

I gave my plague champion a combi plasma, then fired 6 shots into a grounded hive tyrant, gaining me +1 attack boon :D

Same could happen from bolters, as long as its the same "round" of wounds.

6 shots? how?

On topic, this might be why they decided to make Plasma pistols cost what they do. On characters, they are an AP2 precision shot with unlimited ammo...

Still too much!

Ah yes, well I rapid fired the 2 plasma guns in the squad as well. I kept track of the shots the champion had fired and one of them wounded, think I did 4 wounds from the combined plasma and it only had 3 wounds remaining (due to being grounded earlier by a rhino heh).

It's not just in challenges, the boon roll happens from shooting and in general combat too James :D

Man, I've been shorting myself a ton of rolls then...

Be honest, you were trying to skip out on rolling Spawndom. :P

Hmm, would it be proper to think that as long as the character dies in the same turn that the roller wounds it or would RAW be "The Lord caused a wound at the beginning of the game and it died in the 5th turn so now the Lord has to roll."?

Personally, I would think unsaved wounds would be what counts since those are actually what kills the character.

It's not just in challenges, the boon roll happens from shooting and in general combat too James :D

The last roll I had turned an Aspiring Champion into a Spawn!

The last roll I had turned an Aspiring Champion into a Spawn!

I don't know if I should laugh, think that was a lucky guess or feel psychic...

Yeah you simply need to cause a wound to a target that has died, it doesn't say unsaved wound but RAI makes me think they mean wounds allocated that cause a target to die.

So keep track of the champions shots.

The full rule is , if an enemy character dies as a result of multiple wounds being allocated to it simultaneously, and one of those wounds were caused by the champion, that champion still rolls

And, in my opinion, that is the glaring flaw with the boon mechanic.

The Gods should only punish a servant if he FAILS them, not if he vapes an enemy hero/character.

Sense, it does not make.

But I digress.

A plasma pistol turns into a "if I roll 6 while shooting before charge or if the plasma pistoll hit during overwatch, I'm going to get a boon".

According to this, I'm wondering if this is right :

1. 10 CSM with 2 plasmas shoots at loyalists,
  2. the target squad is lead by a librarian, the sergeant is the 3rd closer model,
  3. 3 plasma shots hit, 10 bolter shots hit, bolter shot hit from AC (tracking wounds from AC)
  4. 2 plasma wounds, 5 bolter shots wounds, 1 bolter shot from AC wounds (tracking wounds from AC)
  5. wounds pool consists of 2 groups of wound : 2 ap2 wounds, 6 ap5 wounds (tracking which group have wounds from AC)
  6. 2 plasma wounds try "save" : the librarian die
  7. AC don't roll on boon table
  8. 5 bolter wounds try "save", 1 marine die, the sergeant die (stop tracking there)
  9. AC roll on boon table

I'm still undecided if we should differenciate "group of wounds" or not : step 7 (if the plasma kills a character will the AC get a boon roll).

PS : I'm going to crosspost this on the OR subforum.

In the gods eyes, spawndom isn't a punishment, it's simply so many gifts at once that the champion can't handle it.

It's bad in a gaming sense, but in a fluff sense they are still seen as signs of the gods power but the mortal in particular is a failure.

Just to make sure I get this, If I have a unit with attached char, and the champ and char both fire plasma pistols (or combis ect) into a dreadkight and it dies (along with withering fire from unit). So if both champ and char wounded it (RAW) and/or were unsaved (RAI) then both can roll on table? Sweet!

Is a dreadknight even a character?

Yep.

Just to make sure I get this, If I have a unit with attached char, and the champ and char both fire plasma pistols (or combis ect) into a dreadkight and it dies (along with withering fire from unit). So if both champ and char wounded it (RAW) and/or were unsaved (RAI) then both can roll on table? Sweet!

Don't be so sure about the RAW/RAI distinction here. I think it is not impossible that this is the way the rule was intended to work.

In the gods eyes, spawndom isn't a punishment, it's simply so many gifts at once that the champion can't handle it.

It's bad in a gaming sense, but in a fluff sense they are still seen as signs of the gods power but the mortal in particular is a failure.

If this was the case wouldn't the physical and mental characteristics of the servant come into play, instead of it being, completely random?

If this was the case wouldn't the physical and mental characteristics of the servant come into play, instead of it being, completely random?

I thought spawndom went hand in hand with daemonhood but the person failed to control the power and became a spawn instead of a daemon. So wouldn't the boon table make it a matter of "You got the power but you failed at controlling it." So it would end up being like every two-edged sword that comes from the Warp.

Archived