Quick SOB Painting Question

Thorian

I was just considering how im going to paint my SOB, im looking at either Purple or Red as the main armour colour and wondered if anybody has ever tried the Army Painter Dipping style on them?

The reason im considering this is the fact i love the SOB models but struggle with time to paint at the moment plus my painting hand slightly shakes due to an old pro wrestling injury so something that gives a table top standard effect where i dont have to wory about to much neatness past the the basecoats of the robe/face/gun and such would be perfect.

Views on the effect and if you have used it would be really helpfull as i could only find one example via google and it is not really the sort of scheme i was considering.

Thanks

I do not have personal experience with Army Painter quick shade, but there is a display army of Sisters of Battle at a nearby hobby store that is primary red, with cream cloth, and bronze/gold highlights that used the army painter shade dip stuff. It looks top quality. Army painter is going to work extremely well on the red.

I haven't tried purple but I do have a technique for red.

After you base coat the model in black, dry brush the entire model with space wolf gray (that was the old name of the color) or some other very pale white/grey/blue.

This creates a negative to paint over.

Normal red paint is semi transparent, so will be dark over black and bright over white.

Just a once or twice over with red will do it.

You can then finish with either a highlight or a wash to finish the grading.

This works for the lighter end of the spectrum (reds and yellows) as long as you are not using foundation paints.

Sorry for the double post.

Another technique I was taught was rest your elbows on the table and hold your wrists together.

This makes it so if your painting hand moves the hand holding the model moves with it.

It helps me, hope it helps you.

I painted a 3rd Edition Preceptory of Order of the Bloody Rose:

Undercoat: Cit. Spray: Skull White

Armour:

- BaseCoat C:Bloody Red thined 2 Coats for coverage

- Trim: C:Chaos Black on all of the piping that would end up silver

- Wash: Windsor Newton Chestnut Ink

- Trim: Cover the Black in C: MithrilSilver

You can stop there and have a striking model, with natural dark lighting provided by the chestnut ink. This is Probably best described as old skool dipping ;-)

Post Pics of the final result. I'd love to see them!

Just thought id update, decided im gonna try and recreate the colour scheme from the front cover of the WH codex, which is red with the robes a brown/cream colour as have agreed with a mate to split a pot of quick shade to share and experiment with.

Should look really good when you are done.

My sisters are just the opposite, red robes with bone armor.

They also have brass weapons with silver highlights, dark brown leather, and finished up with enchanted/ice blue for purity seals, ropes, tassels and the like, and a white paper color.

Shows us some pics when you get a couple done.

Archived