Contemptor Dreadnought

Schultzhoffen

What is a better armament for a Mortis Pattern Contemptor (bearing in mind I'd like it to be able to tackle ground and air targets)?

I'm torn between dual Las (twinlinked, AP2), or dual Keres Assault Cannons (they look cool but range is not great). I guess dual autocannons are an option but AP4 does not fill me with happy thoughts when faced with MCs.

Another option is CML and dual Keres but this is pricy.

Thoughts?

You've pretty much summed up my feelings on the contemptor in a nutshell. The only thing I'll add is that I wish the lascannons weren't twinlinked, and cheaper instead. Twinlinking does relatively little since the Mortis is already BS5.

That's what has tipped me toward the Kheres loadout, though it's admittedly very, very short ranged. Even so, it can keep an area of the board flyer free if your opponent is intimidated enough to stay out of its range. Range can be ameliorated by deployment, to an extent.

And nothing beats the damage output of the twin Kheres when it does fire.

I suppose it depends on the rest of your armylist, your preferred deployment, and what flyer opposition you expect to face.

I'd expect to face at least 2 fliers - IG, Necrons or BA.

My other heavy support options are a Vindicator and a Auto/Las Predator.

My elites include Tac Terminators with an Assault Cannon (sometimes CML) and x10 Sternguard in a Drop Pod.

I've 2 full 10 Man Tac Squads and a 10 man sniper squad with an Aegis Defense line (Icarus Las).

That's usually the core of my army. Sometimes I have Rune Priest/Long Fang/GH allies.

Test it out with proxies.

The AA role needs long range and high strength shots. The KAC are short ranged, but they will murder anything close in.

AA role is naturally the domain of the AC.

I'm wrestling with the same decision... post your play testing!

I took a KAC and DCC version the other day, it died to an overwatch melta. :blush:

I'd say go with either the lascannons, or the CML + Kheres. Since you have something of a split list (firebase + close assault elements) you'll want to cover the whole board with potential AA fire.

Having range will allow you to keep your Skyfire+Interceptor, but still contribue to the fight each turn.

I run mine with CML and 2KAC and put him the middle of the board, and on the first turn try to slag any AT weps they have with speeders. Having interceptor and skyfire is amazing, I killed a 3 man suicide chaos melta squad with it before they could fire. It also works great vs nids, can wipe a squad off the board a turn (or trim it down to size) or wreck a MC

Archived