Red Corsair Question

Daemon2027

Just a quick question on the Red Corsairs. I really like the Roman Legion sort of feel of the Astral Claws, but I do not particularly want to collect another codex force (although the Tyrants list is tempting I really fancy a Chaos force). Do you think the Roman Legion aesthetic would mesh with the Red Corsairs or are they now to dilated with other renegades for this to work.

I think 'bad guys' would rock the Roman (and even Greek) look, especially considering how brutal thier civilisation was. Plus I can see the Chaos gods meshing with an adapted Roman pantheon, and perhaps with successful lords joining a sort of imperial cult which seems juicily heretical.

If it doesn't fit the Red Corsairs would have been possible of band of Astral Claws striking out on their own to carve out an empire of renegades and heritics, keeping some of the iconography and beliefs but also embracing chaos. Or would Huron have stopped something like this.

Or is there any other established chaos force with this style.

I don't think that there are currently any warbands that have the Greek or Roman style to them. I agree with you it would be a pretty cool concept.

Though I would say portrayal of the Corsairs in the current codex, as well as the last one, is as pretty much straight out of the box chaos marines. But I doubt that any one would stop you from modeling the units you want and calling them Corsairs, because there are a good deal of them. You could just say its just how that portion of the Red Corsairs wears the armor. They wouldn't have to be former Astral Claws, they could be some group the absorbed.

I don't know a terrible amount about the warband. So in my eyes you could probably get away with whatever you wanted.

tl;dr

Don't know a whole lot about the Red Corsairs, but I like the idea.

If you want a greco-roman theme in a renegade warband, the simplest route is to homebrew a fallen chapter/company. Create a chapter with the theme you want, give all or some of them a suitably tragic fall from grace story, and just have them keep their aesthetic and a warped version of their culture. Gives you a lot of scope for enjoyable fluff-work (something I envy in homebrew chapters/warbands sometimes :tu:) and allows you a free hand to make your warband look however you want.

Man, I just realized it would be really cool if you did a chaos army themed after the works of Homer.

After a massive siege a chapter has to return home through the warp, end up in the eye of terror and become chaos marines.

Odysseus loses his way kinda thing.

Man, I just realized it would be really cool if you did a chaos army themed after the works of Homer.

After a massive siege a chapter has to return home through the warp, end up in the eye of terror and become chaos marines.

Odysseus loses his way kinda thing.

Almost like bloodquest you mean? :)

I was not familiar with that publication at the time of my post. And seeing as I just purchased a copy of Rogue Trader, I'll probably add the Omnibus to my cart, as I want to see what things used to be like.

'Tis the season to hurt my wallet.

I was not familiar with that publication at the time of my post. And seeing as I just purchased a copy of Rogue Trader, I'll probably add the Omnibus to my cart, as I want to see what things used to be like.

'Tis the season to hurt my wallet.

To help you with your quest on how things used to be like, look for the Omnibus Let the Galaxy Burn.

Archived