Russ....alive ?

kabouri

Hi guys,

I just finished re-reading the Battle of the Fang. There is something i noticed which the first time did not. There is a momment, at the end , were Magnus speaking to a huge Russ statue says "But all things change, my brother. I’m not the same as I was, and you’re... well, let us not mention where you are now.’

So, taking into account that Magnus is a Deamon, with vast knowledge of the Warp and the Eye of Terror,is it possible that Russ is, somehow, alive and probably lost into the Eye of Terror ?

Sorry for the english, :D

that's ok, we mostly use english on this forum anyway.

[insert cheesy grin]

the thing with Russ is, noone knows, since his death hasn't been recorded et, so the possibility exists, though after so many years, chances are high he's been killed somewhere without anyone being aware of it.

The thing with Russ is, noone knows

There was a piece of fluff back around 2nd or 3rd Edition which said that a group of Space Wolves (who had been searching the Eye of Terror for Russ) had found his armour discarded outside a Temple devoted to Khorne, but of the Primarch himself, there was no trace.

Make of that what you will!

It's always felt to me like they've kept Russ in reserve from the early stages of the game. He's somewhere in the Eye of Terror, where time flows differently. Perhaps he's been fighting hordes of Chaos deamons for 9,500+ years, or just traveling around in circles. In the SW codexes they have the quote from Russ saying he will return when things get really bad, during the "Wolftime" (more echoes of Norse myth).

Or he's dead.

I like the Magnus quote from BotF, it implies that Russ is still alive, although perhaps not in the best of shape as Magnus appears to be gloating. It keeps the ambiguity (essential in good fiction!).

Whether GW will ever bring LR back into the 40K universe, or 41K, 42k or whatever it is by then, is a question that belongs in the same realm as will they ever let the Emperor die and return. I for one hope they move the timeline story forward, and bring the Primarchs back (they probably will in some form, as so many are still kicking around and with the huge success of the HH and all it's ancillary materials).

I think Russ is stuck in the warp in a place where he can see all the important events and decline of the imperium he fought for but can do nothing about it. Imagine a man like Russ seeing everything that is happing and being unable to act. That would be something Magnus would Gloat about.

Well, Russ did have most of his wolf lords with him when he disappeared, and the 13th company has been known to have survived for quite some time in the eye of terror. So I wouldn't find it too unlikely that he's still alive, somehow, and fighting chaos somewhere.

Have to give a rival some credit, don't I?

Well, Russ did have most of his wolf lords with him when he disappeared, and the 13th company has been known to have survived for quite some time in the eye of terror.

That's true. And a scene reuniting him with the one Wolf Lord he left behind, Bjorn, dreadnought as he now is, is a storytelling opportunity too rich to miss!

Whether GW will ever bring LR back into the 40K universe, or 41K, 42k or whatever it is by then, is a question that belongs in the same realm as will they ever let the Emperor die and return. I for one hope they move the timeline story forward, and bring the Primarchs back (they probably will in some form, as so many are still kicking around and with the huge success of the HH and all it's ancillary materials).

Dear Lord, I hope not. The Clans were cool for all of five minutes; after that, Battletech was ruined for all time...

Dear Lord, I hope not. The Clans were cool for all of five minutes; after that, Battletech was ruined for all time...

I don't want to see them bringing them back to fight a Horus Heresy 2.0 or anything, but it does seem like a waste to have these great characters laying around and not using them more in the present.

Commander Russ in the old days was killededed. He did say (dying words I think) that he would 'be back for the Wolftime' or something like that to his guys. His fate has been much more ambiguous since then though as stated above. I kind of like the idea that he is some sort of super-wulfen running around the Eye. Maybe Russ met up with the Khan and they just cruise around in leather jackets like 'Easy Rider' rocking out on heresy era Vincent Black Shadows.

This is actually more like when during the last battle between Mordred and Arthur, where all of a sudden a stranger crashes through Mordred's forces slaying any and all that approaches, only to arrive at Arthur's side to be revealed as Lancelot.

If the Wolf Time ever arrives this is how it will probably end.

It's just like the myths of the Phoenix Lords and the Rhana Dandra. There will be a final battle against chaos and all of the greatest warriors will come and make their final stand. GW won't ever write more about the final battle, but if you wanted to apocalypse it with your mates, then why not?

he's dead and so is the rest of the merry bunch

Except that Lion El'Johnson is confirmed to be alive by the word of god.

Commander Russ in the old days was killededed. He did say (dying words I think) that he would 'be back for the Wolftime' or something like that to his guys. His fate has been much more ambiguous since then though as stated above. I kind of like the idea that he is some sort of super-wulfen running around the Eye. Maybe Russ met up with the Khan and they just cruise around in leather jackets like 'Easy Rider' rocking out on heresy era Vincent Black Shadows.

"Listen but closely Brothers, for my life's breath is all but spent. There shall come a time far from now when our Chapter itself is dying, even as I am now dying, and our foes shall gather to destroy us. Then my children, I shall listen to your call in whatever realm of death holds me, and come I shall, no matter what the laws of life and death forbid. At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolftime."

He said that to his closest wolf lords before they accompanied him out and disappeared.

As for how many wolf lords accompanied him...

Bjorn being the youngest was left behind.

Jorin was already lost, I think.

I dunno if Russ led his own company or stood above them all.

So that'd mean some 10-11 Wolf Lords + Russ.

Assuming that the 13th Company was already in the Eye of Terror, it wouldn't be impossible for them to have met up.

he's dead and so is the rest of the merry bunch

Except that Lion El'Johnson is confirmed to be alive by the word of god.

If you want to call that being alive. I'd say Guilliman has a better claim to that status in M41, if only because he's not being hidden from plain sight.

In the Space Wolves Codex, there is a sidebar in which Russ says "Listen but closely my brothers, for my life's breath is all but spent... even as I am now dying... I shall listen of your call in whatever realm of death holds me, and coe I shall no matter what the laws of life and death forbid." and is captioned as the last words of Leman Russ. Page 28, under the Long Fangs' description.

Leman Russ is dead like a rock, even his own chapter thinks so (though of course he will magically come back to life, while berating everyone else for having Librarians). At least the Salamanders have a chance of being dead or alive.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Onisuzume. Forgive my zeal that I went straight to replying.

"Listen but closely Brothers, for my life's breath is all but spent. There shall come a time far from now when our Chapter itself is dying, even as I am now dying, and our foes shall gather to destroy us. Then my children, I shall listen to your call in whatever realm of death holds me, and come I shall, no matter what the laws of life and death forbid. At the end I will be there. For the final battle. For the Wolftime."

Every respectful wolf dude should use this as his mantra ....

But I think if Corax and Russ spent some time together they could hunt and kill almost anything...

Archived