Army Painter Brushes

Urauloth

i use the insane detail one for things like eyes and lenses - its pretty good. i dont (yet) have w&n brushes to compare though.

it doesnt hold a lot of paint (but then its small).

mine has kept its point nicely for a good while now. its was also pretty cheap.

think i have a precise detail too that i use in place of the gw fine detail - bit smaller that the gw one and keeping its shape nicely though again doesnt hold tons of paint

I had both, I prefer my W&N 7's 000. However, the Army Painter Insane Detail is very similar size and the tip is almost as quality, IMO. It took some getting used to for the triangle handle, but it can be more comfortable for some people. I will say that I'm a little hard on brushes, but even the Army Painter ones seemed to fall apart more quickly than I'm used to. It only took mine about three months to lose a little over half the bristles which pretty much disintegrated the rest of the brush tip.

I tried out the Army Painter brushes and had the same issue with them disintegrating and I take good care of mine.

Where as my Series 7's are still holding a fine point and still in great shape after 9 months of abuse.

I'd definitely keep with the W&N. If you don't already have it, get the W&N Miniature Series 7 in size 000.

I have tried the "Insane Detail" Army Painter brush, and I thought it was okay… Not great, but okay. It didn't seem to hold up to much use before it started to splay out though. That didn't stop me from buying one of their brushes labeled, "The Psycho," although I have yet to use that one yet. It looks as if it has a similar amount of bristles in the brush as "Insane Detail," but those bristles are shorter and therefore should carry less paint--which means probably using acrylic extender/flow improver when using "The Psycho".

Some of my favorite brushes I have EVER used are from Raphael. Yes, they are expensive, but they have been very nice to paint with. Also, several years ago, I was able to get a number of Scharff series 3000 fine line brushes (2/0) at a cheap price, and I'm still working my way through that investment. Nice brushes that hold a point pretty well, in addition to carrying a nice amount of paint… They are some of my "detail workhorse" brushes. Not so much when I'm aiming for super-fine detail, but when I'm starting to lay in smaller areas of color, after a mini has been base coated.

Raphael's are amazing brushes, but in my opinion you get a better bang for your buck from the Series 7's. It's just in the cost.

I'd recommend flow improving mediums from Reaper or Vallejo for use with any brush size 0 or smaller. Definitely is required for use of size 000 brushes.

However depending on your style of painting, it's a worthy investment for painting. I keep 5 or 6 bottles of Reaper Master Series Flow Improver in stock because I use to much of it.

Archived