Sang Priest

mmaarrkk

So I am taking a sang priest that is going with my libby behind a aegis line with a devi squad, as its the only save I can get against perils of the warp it is worth the extra 50 pts for him (last two times I have periled I have made the FNP save!!). I was going to run a standard one with Power sword but for the extra 20pts you can get termie armour so do I run him with termie armour and PS, or PA with PS or run Corbulo for the extra 20pts above the termie armour one?

Nah but a libby with a devi squad is pretty good, prescience so not shots are wasted, if going against a flyer as they are manning the quad gun as well re rolls to hit is good, perfect timing on ap3 krak missiles takes out quad guns and thunderfires and other 3 plus saves in cover rather well as well as the other powers. I find divination to work very well as a defence set of powers, they provide my fire base and I have a few assault marine units and a raven to cause havoc elsewhere

I don't think using your libby to sit back is a waste, especially since your list contains two librarians. One can be more active and the other more defensive. You mention re-rolls on the quad-gun from prescience, but doesn't it already get re-rolls as its twin-linked

Sang priest become a better deal the more men they effect. If your only running a 5-6 man dev squad it is clearly not worth it as you could buy more woulds than he will likely save you for his points. If you have several squads in your firebase he becomes a great deal and adds to there CC ability.

I'm going to agree that this may not be the best use of the lib, however if you plan on being flexible it may happen sometimes. You may want to use him like that against nids where getting him upfront will just result in perils. Spending that much for a few rerolls of BS4-5 shots though is not worth his points.

PotW shouldn't be that common.

Plus he has two wounds and is hanging out in the rear with the gear, so even failing one roll won't put him out of commision. I'd say just keep him cheap, if you roll Perfect timing and/or take Prescience, I could see him of being good use with a Dev squad. Not much help with a quad gun though, but twin linked ws4 is pretty damn good already.

Or why not take termie armor with a SS for that 3++?

I agree with above in regards to the priest. If it's just one squad...not worth it. If you have a dev squad or two and the libby and a tac squad or something more to protect then the value of a priest will be better.

I think a defensive Librarian is ok if you take 2 or more Devastator squads. That way when one takes damage, the other can recieve the blessings.

Very heavy way to spend 100pts of force multiplication, but it may also aid in keeping your Warlord alive.

As far as the full kibosh, 150pts for Libby and Priest... then you're looking at an entire extra Dev squad you could have taken. If you're running all 3 though, then you've made a formidable firebase... for a pretty expensive cost though.

100 for Lib

50 for Priest

100 for ADL & Quadgun

130 for Devs

130 for Devs

130 for Devs

Problem with above setup is that Space Wolves do it better with Long Fangs. They won't have FnP from Priest, but they'll have 3 extra MLs for 20pts cheaper total package.

I am running two devi squads (full army is in the army list section), 7 guys in each squad with 8 ML in total, plus a tac squad for objective keeping, so far that tactic has worked very well. so I have a total of 27 guys and a bubble of FNP protecting each one. As to how much damage they can put out I killed a 6 wraith unit in one shooting phase the other week, 6 juggernauts in one shooting phase last night, took out a thunderfire cannon and quad gun in one shooting phase tourny last month (that one was with perfect timing). Tanks (bar LR's) go bye bye quite quickly as well. It is a pretty effective firing base imo and well suited for objective based games.

Running one devi squad in another tourny the other month I really went to town on Orks managing to wipe out over 100 boys while I lost around 20 guys. Yes it is expensive and yea long fangs do do it better but they lack FNP, lack scoring assault marines and lack ravens.

Yes quad gun is twin linked but normal ML's arent, each one missing is a waste as they arent cheap!. 2+ saves I have a issue with bar weight of fire, but I have combi melta sternguard, MM and will have either PG or MG in with the tac squad plus 16 rapid fire bolters which are also around the aegis, meltas on one lot of assault marines and storm raven with a few ap1 weapons

PotW shouldn't be that common.

Plus he has two wounds and is hanging out in the rear with the gear, so even failing one roll won't put him out of commision. I'd say just keep him cheap, if you roll Perfect timing and/or take Prescience, I could see him of being good use with a Dev squad. Not much help with a quad gun though, but twin linked ws4 is pretty damn good already.

Or why not take termie armor with a SS for that 3++?

I agree with above in regards to the priest. If it's just one squad...not worth it. If you have a dev squad or two and the libby and a tac squad or something more to protect then the value of a priest will be better.

My problem with Perils on a warlord libby, you fail your first test, a few times it has happened now on the first psyhic power cast (funnily enough last night and 3 game ago as well), now you have 1 wound left do you really want to cast another power and risk killing your own warlord and giving them slay the warlord (or even FB!). Both times recently it has happened I have made the FNP roll!. Termie armour with SS does nothing for POTW, he is there purely for a buff and another power weapon, there is no weapons on the devi sarg's or the tac sarg so they can be offered up for challenges while sang priest can use his power weapon, against flamers demons the only save I can get is FNP, against power weapons only save is FNP

I feel my army is suited to take on all comers, bar demons which is then damage limitation. And if you are facing a list like this you have to take out those devi squads, while you are taking those out my raven is taking out other flyers, high av armour and troop scoring units, my scoring units arent being shot at much.

I disagree that a Librarian should be up front to kick some butts. Have you seen his stats? He is not a combat character and will die very, very quickly. Hanging at the back with a firebase however is a different kettle of fish entirely.

I played a very shooty BA list last night with SW allies (yes I felt dirty). I had a librarian with Prescience, a Rune Priest with Perfect Timing, a Sanguinary Priest, an Aegis Line with Quad Gun, a Dev squad with Lascannons and a Long Fang Squad with Missile Launchers. All backed up by a single (scoring) unit of Grey Hunters to claim my home objective. Expensive yes but they were absolutely devastating. Even after the Devs had finally been picked off that still left the Long Fangs with both Prescience and Perfect Timing who were killing off a squad per turn!

If you got enough stuff in the backfield to give long-range firesupport, it might work. But since libby and priest are force-multipliers, you also need a force to multiply, personally i don't find 2 devasquads enough danger to babysit that hard. Those priest and libby will be sorely missed at the front line, your ASM need them a lot more than your devas. Maybe get some IG-allies or Tau, so you actually have something to protect, then it's a different story.

If you got enough stuff in the backfield to give long-range firesupport, it might work. But since libby and priest are force-multipliers, you also need a force to multiply, personally i don't find 2 devasquads enough danger to babysit that hard. Those priest and libby will be sorely missed at the front line, your ASM need them a lot more than your devas. Maybe get some IG-allies or Tau, so you actually have something to protect, then it's a different story.

Well they picked off 3 Obliterators, 2 Havoc Squads, a Helldrake, a squad of Chosen and half of a 20-man CSM unit, so that looks a pretty worthwhile application of force to me!

all that with 10 MLs? o0 Then he just didn't have any mobility to deal with them, like e.g. the helldrake swooping in and picking up a squad. Also very bad luck on his oblits, since you need 36 krakwounds on average to wipe them all... Against a balanced armylist, something usually will come up in turn 2 at latest to mop up your backfield, or just outshoot you if they are IG or wolves. Also, if there's some good terrain, it gets a lot harder to always have LOS to useful stuff.

4 ML's, 4 Lascannons and a quad gun with 3+ armour, in 4+ cover, with FNP, rerolling misses and/or ignoring cover is a serious threat and is also remarkably resilient.

Also, people seem to be forgetting the fact that you can take more than 1 HQ so it's not an either/or situation. You can also have more than one Priest so you can cover both your assault units and your backfield.

For the cost of a priest and a librarian, you could just have ANOTHER Dev squad.

Twice as many rockets is better than rerolling misses

Could do, then no storm raven!, two devi squads and a raven is enough for me, I find two ravens takes up too many points and makes me relie on them too much

With the 200+ points you aree spending on the libby, aegis and priest to keep the dev squad alive... you could just buy another dev squad?

Then it comes down to whether you prefer more models on the table that are easier to kill or fewer models that are remarkably hard to kill? Personally I prefer the latter. I also question the effectiveness of a Librarian in a frontline role. He's far, far too easy to kill.

With the 200+ points you aree spending on the libby, aegis and priest to keep the dev squad alive... you could just buy another dev squad?

EDIT: Ahh, beaten to it.

As said before there is already two devi squads in the list adding a third means no storm raven, which I dont fancy doing

A huge fan of priests, always have at least 2 in my lists :lol: have to say though that unless they are protecting a single scoring unit having one babysit a lone squad alot of their potential is wasted. Im saying potential because they can generally cover a few squads at a time ;)

If your just using him for the FnP though id suggest keeeping him cheap. No special weapon, ranged or combat. Keep him "naked" at 50 points and hes affordable ;)

So, do I run him with termie armour or just PA with PS? or normal?, like I said the devi sargs do not have any power weapons, the libby does of course so anything I will lose against (2+ save higher I etc) the sarg can take the challenge, given the amount of ap3 now a 2+ save for challenges does sounds good though.

Archived