Santa Claus is coming to town

facmanpob

So, each year I set aside a little bit of money to buy myself a Christmas present. This is separate to any other things I will get from family etc (you know, socks, pants, hideous knitted jumper with Reindeer on! ;)), and can be anything really. This year I am tempted to make a special "hobby" purchase. The problem is, I'm having difficulty deciding, so I thought I would get your views on what you would buy in my shoes.....

Limitations: maximum price is around £50 (can be a bit more, but not too much ;))

Assumptions: All options presented are valid and useful options for my army, and I don't currently own any already.

Options:

1) FW Contemptor Mortis with Kheres Assault Cannons

2) FW Contemptor Mortis with Plasma Cannon and DCCW

3) FW Deimos Predator Executioner

4) GW Predator

5) GW LandRaider + FW Doors

6) Wait and see what the New Year and a new codex brings.....e.g. a DA Contemptor maybe?

That's right, I currently don't own either a Predator or a Land Raider!

Have fun :)

Either the LR (a MUST in any DW player worth his salt) or wait for the new wave.

But since I don't know for sure when the new wave will be...

The only thing that would put me back from getting a LR right away is having the codex launched in december and having to shell another 40€...pricy :)

If you can sqeeze it, the arms, and shipping into your budget, a Relic Contemptor with Kheres AC can turn into a normal Contemptor with only a couple of magnets. I would buy 2x Kheres AC and 1 DCCW, and you get the best of both worlds. The model is also incredible.

7) All of the above

From the list you provided You need a Land Raider Crusader.

The new paradigm of fliers in 6th means we all need at least one Mortis. I am looking at getting arms.

The only thing that would put me back from getting a LR right away is having the codex launched in december and having to shell another 40€...pricy :D

That is what is putting me off any new toys too... Luckily I may set aside a bit of any bonus I may get for a new book and termi boxes...

OK, I'd say Contemptor. A truly amazing model and from the two options above I'd go for the Kheres Assault Cannon. But please consider the TL Heavy Bolters - the best looking weapon imo! :cuss

Second best option (and I'm kind of heretical here) go for the the Deimos Pred. They also look super awesome! I've tried the Deimos Rhinos and the end result looks to me so much better than the standard - but maybe I'm biased. Not to mention the exotic weaponry...

I would say wait as well, but if you have the itch to get something right now (which I get many times a year ;) ) I would do what Sviar suggested

Landraider with FW doors, or a LRC with FW doors so Belial and his Terminators with an apothecary can cruise with style :cuss

So, each year I set aside a little bit of money to buy myself a Christmas present. This is separate to any other things I will get from family etc (you know, socks, pants, hideous knitted jumper with Reindeer on! ;)), and can be anything really. This year I am tempted to make a special "hobby" purchase. The problem is, I'm having difficulty deciding, so I thought I would get your views on what you would buy in my shoes.....

Limitations: maximum price is around £50 (can be a bit more, but not too much ;))

I got as far as this and my first thought (even before I saw your options) was:

1) FW Contemptor Mortis with Kheres Assault Cannons

I didn't even read the rest. I've raved before about how well designed the model is, that magnetising the arms literally* couldn't be simpler, and I've shown how imposing the model is compared to a normal dreadnought, so I won't bore you with all that again. If you can stretch to a cyclone missile launcher as well I heartily recommend it. In 6th edition walkers can fire all of their guns even if they moved. My friends are starting to develop grudges against this seemingly unstoppable engine of death. :whistling:

YOU

WILL

NOT

REGRET

IT

*I do mean literally. Not very, or really or extremely. It literally couldn't be simpler than gluing two disc magnets into circular depressions.

The only thing that would put me back from getting a LR right away is having the codex launched in december and having to shell another 40€...pricy

Pretty sure the latest rumours are a delayed January WD release (i.e. It's not out in the month prior like normal) and then the actual codex/models not being released until around mid January.

If you don't wait so you can buy your new codex. lqtm

I would go for either the Contemptor with ACs and possibly a DCCW if not two(if you do two get the claw and a normal, you will have all four Contemptor DCCW weapon choices,) or the Deimos Predator.

So, it sounds like the Contemptor has it after a late surge of votes! :)

I'll be honest, that's what I thought would win.....and I was probably secretly hoping it would too :D The only further question is whether there is a likelihood of FW releasing a DA specific Contemptor in the near future. I'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, it would tie in nicely with a new codex release and generate them good sales, but on the other hand they've been concentrating on the traitor legions inthe wake of the release of the first heresy book so they might still be plugging in that direction for a while......if I buy it now, I'll have it in time for Xmas, and can wrap it and open it like a little kid on Christmas day (sad when you're 40 years old, isn't it!)....but will I be gutted if in mid-January a beautiful DA specific Contemptor is released?

I have a relic contemptor with kheres, fist, and cyclones on its way to my place, and I do hope it gets here in time for Christmas so I can do the same haha!

If they do release a DA contemptor later I know I'll suck it up and get that one too.

+1 for the contempter.

failing that, any FW unit as, with the new dex iminently released you may kick yourself when a shiney new predator or some such is released. FW models/rules aren't going to change and make your model obsolete

.but will I be gutted if in mid-January a beautiful DA specific Contemptor is released?

No because then you have the oportunity to get another contemptor. :thanks:

And while it's what we want, they will probibly hold off the FW release of a Legion Contemptor until the related Hersey book is released.

.but will I be gutted if in mid-January a beautiful DA specific Contemptor is released?

No because then you have the oportunity to get another contemptor. :P

And while it's what we want, they will probibly hold off the FW release of a Legion Contemptor until the related Hersey book is released.

This is what I was thinking, and it may be as much as a year before that happens......or it may be next month....who knows? :P

Weeeellllll, I bagged a brand new in box Predator from ebay for 30% less than stock price, including postage and packing. This means that I can add the Pred to my "Santa" list, and use the remaining £25 together with Xmas money to buy a Contemptor in the New Year.....win all round! :D

Archived