[Commission] Blood Angels Venerable Dreadnought

winterdyne

And the last model in this commission, done.

Sometimes, as a commission painter, you have to paint models you hate. Actually despise that is, in all aspects, not just grudging disappointment...

Sometimes, they hate you back.

This is the one I hate. Awful sculpt. Awkward casting, horribly warped solid chunks of metal that you'd have to resculpt from scratch to correct. Huge gaps that need half a roll of putty to bridge. Just plain ugly. Yep, it's a metal venerable dreadnought.

But the bugger is done now... Tabletop job, so nothing too pretty. Some nasty flaws which I wasn't being paid enough to fix (client was made aware that its an awful model before the job started, but hey, he likes it).

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/victor/bloodangels/dreadnought_done1.jpg

You know, for as much of a menace that hunk of metal must be to put together- there are some details on that model that convince me that if GW were to release it in finecast, it would sell relatively well. That said, you did a great justice to that model you hate so much, and it looks fabulous.

Listen, I've been looking at all of your Blood Angel comissions. The fact that you consider those "Table Top jobs" is just shocking. My best paint job doesn't even look HALF as good as that! The tone of red that is on all of those models is just amazing.

The two main problems I have with my Blood Angels are painting the Yellow Helmets. I can never seem to get the color I'm looking for to come out good. And the second is the Armor. They're either too bright or they're too dark.

What are the chances that you could do a tutorial on how to paint Blood Angels? Nothing too fancy or too long going into each individual detail. But, specifically, what pains you're using, what mixes you're using and your general process.

Nice work, regardless! I love it!

**Edit** Oh.. hey... I just found your blog!

Listen, I've been looking at all of your Blood Angel comissions. The fact that you consider those "Table Top jobs" is just shocking. My best paint job doesn't even look HALF as good as that! The tone of red that is on all of those models is just amazing.

The two main problems I have with my Blood Angels are painting the Yellow Helmets. I can never seem to get the color I'm looking for to come out good. And the second is the Armor. They're either too bright or they're too dark.

What are the chances that you could do a tutorial on how to paint Blood Angels? Nothing too fancy or too long going into each individual detail. But, specifically, what pains you're using, what mixes you're using and your general process.

Nice work, regardless! I love it!

**Edit** Oh.. hey... I just found your blog!

You guys have to remember he's also a Golden Demon winner with amazing skills. When your at his caliber, TT pieces are display products for a large portion of the community!

As always, I'm impressed by your latest work. Like you said, this model is a pain but at least it's done now! :P

Archived