Starter Army Help

stokecity_m

Having been away from Warhammer 40k for 5+ years, i've lost touch with all the armies etc so need a little help.

I' looking to join the Blood Angel brotherhood.

So far i have a tactical squad and Assault Squad with jump packs.

What troops would you recommend?

Having watched a few battles via Youtube it seems jump packed assault troops and land speeders are good, along with priests in each squad for th etc save?

Best HQ?

Troops i must take?

Any other tips and hints.

I understand that whom i would be fighting would effect my army choice, so i'm looking for a good all round force.

Cheers

For troops, I would suggest a Tactical Squad or two and an assault squad or two. Death Company are fun as well and tend to send enemies running, but remember that they can't score.

Pick up a Stormraven as soon as you can if you're serious about building a serious army. Those things are incredible right now. Baal Predators don't exactly suck, either. Mephiston is a popular HQ choice, but he isn't your only option; as with the Stormravens, get him if you're interested in getting hard-to-beat quickly. Having Sanguinary Priests on hand is also a must, IMO, but that one is a bit more iffy than the rest.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Vanguard Veterans. Overwatch shooting has crippled their effectiveness, but it's still kinda scary for most people when their back lines are being assaulted without warning.

I'm just starting as well. The above recommendations are pretty standard throughout all the army builds.

Bikes has supposidly gotten a boost in 6ED as well. So they might be something too look at as well. I've seen them in several suggested lists, but I've not played any yet.

Bikes and sternguard are both great in 6th in my opinion. Corbulo and Tycho make a really fun team.

Almost every list will want a librarian (or Mephiston).

Of course, massed Assault Squads still works well too.

It is against B+C rules to post the costs for each upgrade. Just leave it to totals for each unit.

As for the list, I think too many points on plasma pistols, and having all your characters have powerfists will cause problems when you get challenged.

Don't list individual point costs for each upgrade, that's a violation of GW's copyrights. Just do a point total for an entire unit/character.

Plasma Pistols are terrible. Don't take them. Ever. Really, EVER. Cost too much, do too little, and can kill your models. All bad things.

For the Storm Raven, twin-linked assault cannon and twin-linked multi-melta is the most common configuration. They're both exceptionally good options. Plasma cannon isn't terrible, but its less flexible. Heavy bolters are just a bad choice, you can get that kind of firepower elsewhere.

Other than that, the list is fairly typical and probably a good starting place for you.

Meltaguns are great for Assault Squads, being able to handle vehicles or 2+ saves is a big plus.

As James said though, mass-powerfists probably isn't a great idea. For one thing, its a points sink. For the 4 or so you have listed, you can buy another 5 Marines. If you're not familiar with the challenge system, you'll want to read up on it. Models that swing last risk either dying quickly in a challenge before doing anything, or not getting to fight if you refuse. The ideal way to go seems to be to use your Sergeant as the "challenge catcher" that'll step up if need be, and let independent characters (like Priests, Librarians, etc) carry the unwieldy weapons. This also allows them to benefit the most from their higher WS. Personally I prefer power axes, because they're almost as good at wounding most models and allow for a bonus attack, but there's certainly an argument to be made for a powerfist or two.

You've got a solid core in place, feel free to experiment with it and see what suits your preferences. Remember that as long as your opponents aren't jerks, its usually acceptable to proxy models in a casual environment. Then you can get a feel for them before investing too heavily in something that might end up sitting on your shelf permanently (like my Land Raiders :lol: ).

Blood Angels 5th Edition

HQ (250pts)

Mephiston, Lord of Death (250pts)

Elites (390pts)

Furioso Librarian Dreadnought (210pts)

Drop Pod

Storm Bolter

Blood Lance, Shield of Sanguinius

Sanguinary Priests (90pts)

Power Armour

Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Power Weapon

Sanguinary Priest (90pts)

Power Armour

Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Power Weapon

Troops (470pts)

Assault Squad (235pts)

9x Assault Marines, Meltagun, Meltagun,Jump Packs

Veteran Sergeant

Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

Assault Squad (235pts)

9x Assault Marines, Meltagun, Meltagun,Jump Packs

Veteran Sergeant

Heavy Support (390pts)

Predator (195pts)

Extra Armour, Lascannon, Twin Linked Lascannon

Predator (195pts)

Extra Armour, Lascannon, Twin Linked Lascannon

What about tthis?

A nice assault army with the predators for heavy support.

* With the Furioso it doesn't really make sense to give it a Drop Pod, Blood Lance, and Shield unless you're just desperately hoping Shield will keep it alive. If you want a kamikazee drop-dread I'd go with the standard Furioso with a frag cannon. For Librarian Dreadnoughts I had a lot of success in 5th running them with Wings and Shield. They're able to keep pace with the faster assault elements, and they can also hang back and support by casting up Shield. Gives a nice deterrent to anyone that wants to get close, because no one likes having a flying dreadnought smash into them.

* You're still better off giving a power fist to a Sanguinary Priest than a Sergeant. The 5th edition "hidden fist" is dead, it doesn't work anymore on character models.

* Drop the Extra Armor on your Predators. You only roll on the table for penetrating hits now, so your vehicles are much less likely to get Stunned anyway, and keeping the Predators moving isn't really important.

* Autocannon turret with Lascannon sponsons is considered the ideal setup for Predators. The twin-linked lascannon turret costs too much to be considered efficient.

If you made the cuts I suggested you should probably have enough points to squeeze in another small unit with no real loss to the list. Probably look towards getting another Troop unit in somewhere. 20 scoring bodies isn't terrible at 1500 points, but its a bit light.

Blood Lance is more of an anti-castling tool, where it can hit multiple targets. For reliably destroying a single target, its not really the best bet. Melta is the more efficient way of accomplishing that. And by the same token, if your opponent has any melta weapons, the Dreadnought is going to eat them after it lands. Using a 200+ point unit to hopefully kill one opposing unit is seldom a good idea. For comparison's sake, a small 5-man Assault Squad can fill a similar role at 110 points (while scoring), or a Multi-Melta speeder for 60 points.

Assault squads are better than tactical squads hands down. you get a special weapon with only 5 guys and another at 10. Tacs need 10 for anything and cant have 2 specials. Get more assault marines and magnitize the jumppacks so you can play mech angels too.

Baal predetors are the best FA choise .. for 145pts. You get a fast, scout tank with 3 heavy weapons and AV 13. Tlac and h bolters are optimal. Best taken in packs, in front of your troops. Paving the way and giving cover.

Auto-las predetors are great long range support.

vindicators, well everyone fears the S10 AP2 pieplate. These guys make a great distraction. Your opponent will shoot everything they have at them to get them off the table. Which leaves the rest of your army vertually untouched.

Razorbacks are still very good for support and objective grabbing.

Stormravens are awesome now so they are a must.

Aegis defence lines are great and cheap.

Dreds, well... Imo 6th ed killed dreds. They are just too easy to glance to death.

Some deathcompany are good investment also. My favorite load out is 9 DC with 3 powerfist and bolter guys(relentless). 2 power swords and a power maul. No jumppacks..(to expensive.)Stick'em in a raven with a reclusiarch or chaplin. Thats a whole lota hurt right there. That load out killed an ork Stompa in 1 turn for me about a month ago. Then went on to kill almost 60 shooterboyz. :D

Archived