Help making a competitive space wolves list (1750 - 2k)

Drivebybaptism

I've got a bunch of Space Wolves I'm close to finishing up and 6th is so different I don't know what to do with them. I was wondering, if I was to list what I own, could someone be kind enough to help me making a semi-comptetive army list?

What I've got is the following:

Battleforce contents

Thunderwolves

Logan Grimnar

Wolf Lord on thunderwolf

2 rune priests

Couple of razorbacks

I'm not averse to buying a box or 2 extra.

Anyone up for the challenge?

I've got a bunch of Space Wolves I'm close to finishing up and 6th is so different I don't know what to do with them. I was wondering, if I was to list what I own, could someone be kind enough to help me making a semi-comptetive army list?

What I've got is the following:

Battleforce contents

Thunderwolves

Logan Grimnar

Wolf Lord on thunderwolf

2 rune priests

Couple of razorbacks

I'm not averse to buying a box or 2 extra.

Anyone up for the challenge?

First and foremost, you have 4 HQ options already. Logan Grimnar is a great option but he's at his best when running a logan wing type of list and unless you're wanting to buy about 20 termies, he's probably not your ideal solution. The thunderwolf lord is also going to be very expensive points wise. He'll be able to survive anything under str 10 but at a min cost of 220pts for TWC, Runic Armor, PF/TH, he costs almost as much as 2 long fang squads, 2 lone wolfs, etc. However, since you're trying to fill points with what you have, he will probably be worth using until you get a lot more options. In the long run, those two rune priests are probably going to be your best options and I'd recommend going with one as divination and one as codex powers should you choose to play both but this is up to personal preference.

In terms of what to buy, you're currently short on troop options. A second battleforce box would probably be your best option here since you're getting your best bang for your buck as well as getting an extra 20 marines. Also, running 2x 5 plasma gun/pistol scout squads and dropping 2 squads of PG/PG or MG/MG grey hunters could be pretty beneficial.

Assuming that you only have 3 thunderwolves, the Resin TW Lord and that you're picking up the 2nd battleforce, you can get a pretty decent start with a list that looks like this:

HQ1 - Wolf Lord - TWC, PFist (if your opponents will allow you to do a "counts as"), runic armor, SS - 220pts (can also add saga of the bear for 35 pts to get eternal warrior and laugh at str 10+)

HQ2 - Rune Priest - Divination, Runic armor - 120 pts - can also add mastery lvl 2 for 50 pts

HQ3 - Rune Priest - Codex powers, runic armor, chooser of the slain - 130 pts

E1 - 5x Wolf Scout - Pgun, 2xPpistol - 120 pts

E2 - 5x Wolf Scout - Pgun, 2xPpistol - 120 pts

T1 - 10x GH - MG/MG + Drop pod + Wolf standard + MotW - 215 pts

T2 - 10 x GH - PG/PG + Drop pod + Wolf standard + MotW - 220 pts

T3 - 10x GH - PG/PG + WS+ MotW + razorback (TL lascannon) - 260

T4 - 10x GH - PG/PG + WS+ MotW + razorback (TL lascannon) - 260

F1 - 3x Thunderwolf cav - 2x SS, 1x PFist - 240

Total - 1905 pts

Now, this is in no way an ideal list but it uses every one of your models and uses them in effective loadouts. The only weird thing is the razor backs. You wouldn't use them as transports as much as light tanks. The other big issue is that 3 of your units would be held in reserve so you'd definitely be out gunned for a round or two

From here, I would probably recommend dropping the wolf lord and the scouts and picking up some long fangs (devastator squads + GH bits work very well or another space wolf box or two + buying bits is great as well). An Aegis Defense line would also be a smart buy should you choose to go that route especially if your meta game has a lot of flyers. Also, TWC are most effective in units of 4-5 with 2-3 SS's so picking up another box of those would go a very long way.

Hopefully, I've done a decent job of showing you what you would have available to you with your current units and another battle force. Worst case scenario, you'll have enough models to start playing with the boys from fenris!

I'm going to disagree with Belfast there- I'm of the firm opinion that Loganwing just doesnt' work. I've commented on the list in the army list forum. IN general, thought, I really don't think it's a good idea to start with large lists. Start small- 750-1000 points. It's no good buying and painting 1500 points of Space Wolves only to find out you don't enjoy playing them, after all.

I'm going to disagree with Belfast there- I'm of the firm opinion that Loganwing just doesnt' work. I've commented on the list in the army list forum. IN general, thought, I really don't think it's a good idea to start with large lists. Start small- 750-1000 points. It's no good buying and painting 1500 points of Space Wolves only to find out you don't enjoy playing them, after all.

I didn't say that a Logan wing army is great, just that Logan is at his best value when you go that route.

Everything else though I do agree with but he was asking for where to go from where he's at

Archived