csm army comes third in uk gt qualifying heat three.

I heard this yesterday on the 40kuk podcast, and was quite surprised, a little bit of digging and I found out some info on what the guy used.

'khorne lord on bike with the axe and a 4++, 8 khorne bikers with 2 melta, 2x 10 marines with 2 plasma, 1x 10 marines with 2 melta, 8 havocs with 4 autocannons, 2x 2 obliterators with mark of nurgle, 1 random mutilator, 2x heldrakes with baleflamers and 1x 10 cultists'

Now I'm quite surprised this did this well at 1850 pts, allowing fw stuff, not taking anything away from the guy, I just didn't expect csm in the top three, (necrons got 1st and 2nd) anyhow, I thought it would be of interest?

Apparently he was trialing a lone mutilator for disruption purposes, there's actually not that much info about it in this weeks podcast, but apparently the one in a fortnights time has an interview with the player. I must admit I'm very surprised as there were at least two or three interceptor/skyfire spam armies there, and I can't see heldrakes being brilliant in that environment.

Still, kudos to the bloke, he must be lucky, or bleeding amazing (or most likely both) to take csm and do this. Should be inspriational to us all. (unfortunately I still can't get my csm to work, hence have dug my nids back out.)

Khorne bikers! Hilarious! They can barely control their rage and are supposed to control a speeding motorbike while attacking with chainweapons? I would like to see some awesome conversions where khorne bikers slide around on their bikes!

The list looks like it would struggle against monoliths and landraiders.

this is pretty inspiring, after the game I had last week I was tempted to give up my Thousand sons to just conversions and painting, and using my heresy era salamanders for gaming, not anymore.

Ouch, that sounds painful, especially given how its been years since thousand sons were brilliant, got a mate who plays thousand sons, his other army is sisters of battle! So There's always someone worse off than you! :D

this is pretty inspiring, after the game I had last week I was tempted to give up my Thousand sons to just conversions and painting, and using my heresy era salamanders for gaming, not anymore.

I tested them too , not a fun imo . the minimax builds while better then big 1kson armies , still get beaten bad against good players .

Actually, the list doesn't look that far outside of conventional wisdom. axelord on bike, fast split between bikes & drakes, heavy split between nurgle oblits & autohavocs, plasmamarines in troops, little to no elites presence.

About the only things outside the ordinary are the single mut, the meltamarine squad, the cultists, the slightly greater than normal number of ablative wounds on the havocs. And this is far from the first time we've seen people experimenting with these options. About the only things I might otherwise expect to see that aren't here are an ADL and maybe a bike sorcerer, and, given that this was in a tournament setting, the fortification might not have been allowed in the first place. And the bike sorcerer is more common if there are multiple bike squads, instead of one bikes & two drakes.

So, yeah, this is reasonably close to what is currently looking to be the new monobuild for chaos marines. It's early, things may still shake out somewhat differently, but about the only surprise is that it did as well as it did, though that could be up to the luck or skill (or matchups) of the player in question. Still, it is encouraging to see someone doing well. I have not been doing well, but I lay my own record more on my own poor skills and luck than on problems with the rules

As for the heavy armor issue - yeah, it's a problem, but four oblits and a handful of meltas are about as well as CSMs are going to be able to deal with AV14 at 1850 regardless, I'm not sure what else you would include for it.

given that this was in a tournament setting, the fortification might not have been allowed in the first place. And the bike sorcerer is more common if there are multiple bike squads, instead of one bikes & two drakes.

Fortifications were allowed, most of the uk tournies I have been aware of have been mostly pure 6th tournies, I think that random terrain is the only thing generally dropped. Allies and forge world units were even allowed.

8 meltas and a chainfist struggle? :wub:

I wreck monoliths with a hellbrute.

puting the "why does a necron player even take a monolith since the new dex" aside , I must say that either your a master of rolling cover or the necron player is unable to roll 6's , because there is no way a walker lives long enough to get in to melee range with necron . not even a 10hull points av14 one.

Why is it so surprising that the player did so well with that army?

Maybe he is a good player, and doesn't subscribe to the internet metagame list building? /shrug

Sounds like he took a great idea and ran with it. That army would be a blast to play against. Win or lose, it would be worth talking about and really embodies the 'spirit' of 6th Edition- a narrative game that uses toy soldiers and dice to tell the story.

I say good for him! And congrats!

its not suprising . the difference between his list and other chaos list is the sole mutilator and rest is knowing what armies are going to be there and who is going to play them .I'm also not getting your narrative army argument, where is the narrative part it is a chaos list like all other list .

8 meltas and a chainfist struggle? ^_^

I wreck monoliths with a hellbrute.

puting the "why does a necron player even take a monolith since the new dex" aside , I must say that either your a master of rolling cover or the necron player is unable to roll 6's , because there is no way a walker lives long enough to get in to melee range with necron . not even a 10hull points av14 one.

lol

I really wish I had your exact mental picture of the game when you wrote that.. the lone hellbrute, the ONLY armored model on the field moving 6 inches at a time over 4 turns headfirst into over 80 gauss rifels focusing only on him. After running past 2 units of troops, he manages to charge the monolith that was deployed on the opponent's side of the table on a roll of 5 inches.

Your world must be delightfully simple.

To clarify, it doesn't happen every game, but using hellbrutes as a roaming backline to intercept deep strikers early game seems to work well for me.

Because of the other armies in the tournie, it was the final chance for qualifying, and mostly seemed to be uber lists, plus the tournie allowed fw, which is another potential problem for this list. Just for the record, I'm not taking anything away from the guy, but given what was there, it surprised me.

Because of the other armies in the tournie, it was the final chance for qualifying, and mostly seemed to be uber lists, plus the tournie allowed fw, which is another potential problem for this list. Just for the record, I'm not taking anything away from the guy, but given what was there, it surprised me.

Ah! I see where you are coming from. Sometimes, the stuff from left field combined with a good player surprises the most.

@the people saying this is like all the other Chaos lists they have seen- maybe in your meta. My meta is nothing but Typhus, Cultist Zombies, everything with Mark of Nurgle, two Heldrakes, six Obliterators, a Forge Fiend with all Plasma... yeah. To say that there is only one type of power list perpetuates the idea that there is only one way to build a list from the Chaos Codex, and that's far, far from the truth.

@ tamwulf, agreed, nurgle is definitely the favourite in my lgs too, not that its doing that well tbh, we have lots of wraithwing/grey knights/blood angels at my club, combined with a couple of very good ork players. I'm probably the only one experimenting more with unmarked units and variety, its not going well, though that's just cos my dice are jinxed for 40k I think.

My meta is nothing but Typhus, Cultist Zombies, everything with Mark of Nurgle, two Heldrakes, six Obliterators, a Forge Fiend with all Plasma... yeah.

But that is bad list or something that is tailored to take out meq footslogger builds without any flyers or flyer ally .

And if you have 4 hvy support choices this means normal games at 2k pts or more . I dont envy you . games go to time a lot and some builds even with those bale flamers just blow csm swarms off the table . A skyshield car park has 3-4 lemmans with +4 inv + the usual flyers .

My meta is nothing but Typhus, Cultist Zombies, everything with Mark of Nurgle, two Heldrakes, six Obliterators, a Forge Fiend with all Plasma... yeah.

But that is bad list or something that is tailored to take out meq footslogger builds without any flyers or flyer ally .

And if you have 4 hvy support choices this means normal games at 2k pts or more . I dont envy you . games go to time a lot and some builds even with those bale flamers just blow csm swarms off the table . A skyshield car park has 3-4 lemmans with +4 inv + the usual flyers .

this is still 3 hs choices if you use 2x 3 oblits

but if you run them in 3 man units they die too fast . then your army runs 3 long range units +drakes coming out of reservs from turn 2 , while other armies like IG or SW are either 3-4[and can split fire] or have 4-5 and flyers. then only way for a tyfus list to work , is if the opposing army was bad at shoting and am having problems with finding good 6th ed armies that arent shoty ,because even orcs and nids play shoty in 6th.

Archived