Would a RT-era Chaplain mini work for the Horus Heresy?

Emperor's Furor

Were they around though during the crusade prior to Lorgar turning up?

I remember a chaplain edict been discussed by the Luna wolves and the chaplain corps been inducted just prior to the heresy. They also existed at least during the Istaavan massacre, because fluff states that they were the first to be murdered by the traitor legions due to the fact that they would not join them. Only the word bearers chaplains turned hence their accursed crozii.

From 40k.wikia:

The position of Chaplain was created during the Great Crusade of the 31st Millennium by the edicts of the Council of Nikaea -- an Imperial conclave that was called on the world of Nikaea to determine whether or not the use of psychic powers represented a boon or a grave danger to Mankind and the newborn Imperium of Man. The new position of Chaplain was instituted by the council to ensure that the Emperor's edicts as well as the Imperial Truth were upheld amongst the Astartes of the Space Marine Legions.

Yeah but Warden's were around before the edict of Nikaea due to the flaw in the geneseed. This is what Lexicanum has to say on the subject.

"Warden was a rank within the Blood Angels Space Marine Legion during the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy. Existing outside the command structure, the post of Warden was a rare one within the IX Legion, given to senior Veterans. In essence, they served as the watchmen of the Blood Angels, serving as mentors and guides for the younger members of the Blood Angels, but also charged with upholding the laws of the IX Legion. This definition was open to interpretation, where they could offer a Captain a piece of advice on tactical doctrine to leading a ceremony of rememberance for fallen Space Marines.[1a] Following the Council of Nikaea, the Wardens were charged with upholding the Edict of Nikaea banning Librarians.[1b]"

Horus often used units from other legions that he saw were tactical assests on the battle field, if you want to stick to the fluff then it is perfectly acceptable for any primarch to adopt this point of view, and indoctrinate the word bearer "chaplain" idea into their legion, I imagine Horus would have seen the chaplain and considered it's battlefield affects and moral boosts, he could have passed this information onto another primarch or used it himself, acting as either advisors, support veterans or as leaders to a detachment, to me use of a chaplain is perfectly acceptable and would fit in most legions, with some exeptions such as Thousand sons.

So blood angels for you then?

Not quite, I have a habit of rushing my decisions but I'm learning pace myself and consider it a lot more, right now I'm trying to figure out what legions the model could be viable for. I really want an "early" crusade based legion to, I find stuff like former legion names, like the Dusk Raiders, War Hounds and Imperial Heralds, to be quite appealing, I really like the early details that Betrayal has began to disclose.

Dark Angels had Brother Redemptors...

Just want to point out that a lot of people frequently consider RT era as pre-Heresy but it was 40k through and through...

EDIT: don't get me wrong, the model will do admirably... (but not because it's supposed to be 30k - it's still supposed to be 40k)

Yeah, I understand about Rogue Trader being considered earlier than 40k but it's not, this model though has no chest Aquila and looks like like Mk II or III armour with all the trim and rivets on it. Atm I get the feeling it's best suited for a chaplain of the word bearers during the crusade but after Lorgar was found (due to the book on it's waste which seems suitable to be the early Lectitio Divinitatus?) and prior to the seeds of heresy even being a thought.

Archived