Chapter Master Jaric Phoros

Greeting brothers and sisters of the B&C. I have been reading the forums for a while but this is my first post here. I am looking for some feedback on my homemade rules for Chapter Master Jaric Phoros of the Fire Lords Chapter. I have been playing 40k for around 2 years now, and the one thing that irks me about Space Marines, is the lack of representation of the different battle tactics used by different chapters.

Chapter Master Jaric Phoros {HQ}..........................200pts

Jaric Phoros6544353102+

• Infantry

• 1 (Unique)

• Descent Into Flames
  • Everflame
  • The Promethean Fist
  • Iron halo
  • Frag and krak grenades

• And They Shall Know No Fear
  • Combat Tactics
  • Independent Character
  • Fiery Descent
  • Master Duelist

Descent into Flames: This is a suit of artificer armour which bestows the Feel No Pain special rule on Phoros

Everflame: This is a master-crafted relic blade that causes Phoros' close combat attacks to strike at AP2. It is a power sword.

The Promethean Fist: This gauntlet incorporates a heavy flamer.

Fiery Descent: If Jaric Phoros is included in your army, you may choose to start with all of your units in reserve, even if the mission does not normally use this rule. If you do, nominate any number of units to move onto the board from your board edge at the start of your first turn (note that flyers may not be nominated to do this). All other units must roll to arrive from reserve as normal. If you choose to do this, at the start of your first turn, before your units move onto the battlefield, make D3 shooting attacks with the following profile:

Unlimited83Ordnance, Barrage, Ignores Cover, Always Scatters

If you do not choose to do this, Phoros may make a shooting attack once in the game with the same profile, except that it loses the Always Scatters rule. This attack otherwise follows the rules for Orbital Bombardment.

Master Duelist: When Phoros fights in a challenge, increase both his Weapon Skill and Attacks characteristics by 1.

I am mainly looking for feedback on the points cost and any form of balancing. One concern that I have is that the bombardment from Fiery Descent could potentially be rather overpowered. I considered reducing either the Strength or AP on it by 1 (possibly both).

EDIT: Reformatting and several changes.

you took the salamanders special charcter added orbital bombardment anddorns termie guys subborn tactic..

3 models rolled into one...

be cause of that i look to the models price..holy :) a land raider...

uhhhh i got nothing now haha

It was originally true that I was simply going to use Vulkan He'stan with suitable modification to make him a chapter master, I decided that if I was going to make modifications, then I should make him true to his chapter's tactics. I did drop master-crafter thunder hammers from He'stan's Chapter Tactics, and I thought that Stubborn was suitable seeing as the Fire Lords are descendants of the Imperial Fists, and it is a flaw in their gene-seed that causes their stubborness. The reason that his rules look quite similar to other characters' is because I thought that I wouldn't be able to accurately cost anything too different from what is contained in the Codex. I also realize that he is quite exorbitantly expensive in points. If you have any suggestions on what you think I should remove/change, that would be great.

:devil:

For me this looks like a case of "all the awesome in one basket". You've tried to represent all your ideas for a chapter in one character. Maybe try dividing these elements up between two or three seperate characters. That way you don't have one massive undercosted, over-awesomed, points sink of a character.

Maybe a chaplain that confers stubborn to all units of his chapter in play...for 170

Make your chapter master 200 or so points...

That would be your two hqs and an elite tech marine that allows that flame/melta upgrade.... wjrre all the techmarines go above and beyond normal tech marines this one would not have a servo harness just a servo arm but cost 120 points...or so might help there...then all three would be expensive but only used in 2k games thus givingyou some fair options to use...

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think that I'll split the chapter tactics rule between a chaplain and a techmarine like you say. I'll get to work on them right now. So, if I remove the Chapter Tactics from Phoros, I'm think of a points cost between 200 and 220. Does that sound about right?

Alright, I've revised the cost for the Chapter Master and changed him a bit and also created two new characters:

Techmarine Varton {Elite}..........................140pts

Servius Varton4444242102+

• Infantry

• 1 (Unique)

• Artificer armour
  • Refractor field
  • Servo-arm
  • Hellfury
  • Sunderer
  • Frag and krak grenades

• And They Shall Know No Fear
  • Combat Tactics
  • Independent Character
  • Blessing of the Omnissiah
  • Bolster Defences
  • Keeper of the Arsenal

Refractor Field: This provides a 5+ invulnerable save.

Hellfury: A master-crafted combi-flamer.

Sunderer: A large two-handed power axe with the following profile:

-+22Melee, Unwieldy, Two-handed, Armourbane

Keeper of the Arsenal: If Varton is included in your army then all flamers, heavy flamers, melta guns and multi-meltas count as twin-linked.

Chaplain Novus {HQ}..........................165pts

Felix Novus5444242103+

• Infantry

• 1 (Unique)

• Power armour
  • Bolt pistol
  • Crozius arcanum
  • Pyra Halos
  • Frag and krak grenades

• Combat Tactics
  • Independent Character
  • Liturgies of Battle
  • Honour of the Chapter
  • Heritage of Dorn
  • Undying Faith

Pyra Halos: The chaplain's rosarius surrounds him with holy flame, this terrifying visage grants him the Fear special rule.

Heritage of Dorn: If Chaplain Novus is included in your army, all units exchange the Combat Tactics special rule for the Stubborn special rule.

Undying Faith: Chaplain Novus has the It Will Not Die special rule. In addition, if he were to lose his final wound, he made immediately roll to regenerate a wound.

Let me know what you think. I'll reformat and update the original post soon.

Archived