How far to go for a themed list?

Emperor's Furor

I'm wondering how far I should go with making a themed list, at the moment I'm wondering whether I should give squads special stuff like power swords and power fists when in the books they don't.

I'm going off the Serrated Sun's Chapter 7th Company in First Heretic. Lead by Argel Tal, there's two squads of assault troops, one lead by him, the other by Xaphen the Chaplain. Only the two lead figures appear to have power weapons while the standard troops don't, including the sergeants. It also states Argel Tal's squad only has 5 members which is a bit difficult to copy using the army list as assault squads come with 10 marines, unless some of them died prior to it stating there's only 5.

Then there's the Outrider squadron on marine bikes, lead by a jetbike mounted sergeant, which is pretty iffy unless I use up a hq choice to represent him. Then there's a vindicator mentioned which is simple to replicate and finally the mechanicum battle robots which I'm hoping they will bring out or I could try to convert them and use dreadnought rules and a techmarine?.

Anyway, the main point is, should I follow the list exactly and not give the assault squads any power weapons? I think I'd have to add additional squads to bulk the points up to or I could draw from other places, such as Sor Talgon's story in Scions of the Storm

How far should I sacrifice ability for fluff is really the basic question I guess.

I would have to say you can give the squad of Assault marines some additional troops, I personally don't think it makes a difference. You shoudln't rely too much on the facts that the story provided, think of it more like a template to start your army the rest is up to you. And you should add some more squads, since he is a captain he does have to lead a squad of marines, or so I would think. Keep me appraised of your descision brother!

Ok thanks :)

I came up with this list, it's almost entirely themed apart from the sergeant of the Outrider squad which is mounted on a normal bike and the addition of another assault squad.

Serrated Suns Chapter, 7th Assault Company

HQ

Argel Tal, Captain 7th Assault Company (Legion Champion) - Artificer armour / Master crafted power sword / Refractor field / Jump pack - 140

(with Torgal Assault Squad)

Chaplain Xaphen, 7th Assault Company - Refractor field / Artificer armour / jump pack - 125

(with Malnor Assault Squad)

Troops

Torgal Assault Squad (x10) - Melta bombs - 300

Malnor Assault Squad (x10) - Hand flamer - 260

Badur Assault Squad (x10) - Hand flamer - 260

Fast Attack

Dagotal Outrider Squad (x6) - Melta bombs / Sergeant / Power fist / Plasma pistol x2- 270

Heavy Support

Vindicator Firestorm - Auxiliary drive / Extra armour / Armoured ceramite / Dozer blade - 145

Total - 1500

Considering It's Argel Tal, I'd say make him a Praetor, he's the dude that Lorgar picks to go into the Eye after all, and he was trained by Erebus, no way is he just a consul.

Yeah, I would have, but it's only 1500 points and I think the army is already a bit small. In 2000 points I'll probably upgrade him to praetor though, atm he does have the weapon skill of a praetor at least.

Wow! I think that perfectly represents the force that was bringing compliance to the crystalline AI construct world. Nice job! Maybe you could go with a Dread instead of the Vindicator to represent Incarnadine? Either way I like this list; really evokes what was going on in that particular chapter of the novel. If you were representing the WBs at that time I think Argel Tal could still be considered a consul in power but it is a game and only makes sense you would beef his rank/abilities up at higher point levels.

Wow! I think that perfectly represents the force that was bringing compliance to the crystalline AI construct world. Nice job! Maybe you could go with a Dread instead of the Vindicator to represent Incarnadine? Either way I like this list; really evokes what was going on in that particular chapter of the novel. If you were representing the WBs at that time I think Argel Tal could still be considered a consul in power but it is a game and only makes sense you would beef his rank/abilities up at higher point levels.

Thanks :D to make it up to 2000 points what would you add to it?

Hehe a titan or a super-heavy tank of course :yes: I would roll with a super-heavy tank myself. Likely a Typhon to keep the points low and to deal with dangerous terrain, cover saves and the like. Not exactly fluffy with that chapter but it wouldnt be out of line either. Slap some heavy bolters on the sponsons. If you wanted to keep it fluffy with that chapter scene, a Caestus Assault Ram could represent the transport for the squad below. A bit cheaper too so you could play around with a few more upgrades to your units.

To keep it fluffy I would throw in a Techmarine with heavy weapon servitor retinue to represent/count-as Carthage and his smaller Imperial Robot designs. The rules for the automata really would work well for the representation of a maniple of Imperial Robots, especially since they kind of go "derp" when the Techmarine leaves the squad to go do something on his own. That is really reminiscent of the old RT rules where Imperial Robots werent always the most... reliable. Give two of them fists and the other two ranged weapons. I'd think this would work really well. If that is a bit squishy for you a Dreadnaught Talon would be excellent.

That would bring you somewhere around 2000 points I believe for any of those options.

Archived