Tournament Battle Report

Giga

Hello everyone, welcome to my first battle report. This one is 3 matches from a local tournament, held on 1st December 2012, the very first 40k I played after a 2 year hiatus. I did my best to keep it both short and sweet, while including some of my tactical and analitical thoughts during and after the battles. The full reports, with edited pictures that detail what's going on, on my very first blog. Thanks for your time and be sure to give me criticism. :]

Battle report link:

http://giga40k.blogspot.com/2012/12/welcom...tle-report.html

A preview photo:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-x8-j3OxEnos/UMrr2cJMDSI/AAAAAAAAAHo/qlnDHatFiXc/s1600/prva0101.jpg

Looks like you had a good time. Couple of thoughts:

- yeah, flamers and screamers are super good now. you were lucky that you didnt come up against an army with 27 of both.

- TBH, I think the high strength low ap templates have been around for a while now, basically just from guard. The two new boys in town are the flamers, and the CSM helldrake. I think the reason you're seeing it more, is because guard can ally with a lot, so lots of people are allying with them for vendettas and manticores.

- The High toughness army was just Nurgle. I find that plasma really helps against them. Either that or S10 (so vindies for you).

Thanks, glad you liked it. :] I had another tournament last saturday and did a lot better (placed 2nd with 1 draw and 2 wins) but didn't make a BR out of that. Getting my vindicators + some other goodies this week, so hopefully I'm going to have it all ready for the next tournament. Stay tuned for a BR of that, if I don't end up forgetting to bring my camera. ;]

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your battlereport

Finally battlereport with good focus in game and enough details to get viewer a real image of battle.

keep it coming! ^_^ Nice to see someone else still play vanilla marines

Btw how will you plan to improve your army? and how did u feel LR did? I have one and have been wondering should i include it again in my lists..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Giga,

as I said the last time, I really like your batreps.

I have one question. How so you think about Demons. Are they as unbeatable as some say? What makes them so dangerous in your opinion? I have not played them yet, and I am curious.

Have a good one

M.

Hey guys, really glad you like my stuff. :]

Btw how will you plan to improve your army?

Well for the next tournament (19th January) I'm taking a very similar list to the one I took in my New Year's batrep, with the addition of aegis defense line and some other changes. It's still far from a top tier list but hopefully that'll make it somewhat capable of dealing with flyers.

As for the long term, obviously I need some allies. IG seems like the best option so far and I'm toying with it. On my blog, I actually posted two of the IG ally lists I'm thinking about lately. However, I don't want to buy any stuff just yet because I already have plenty of models to paint and don't want to crowd my shelves with unpainted plastic.

and how did u feel LR did? I have one and have been wondering should i include it again in my lists..

Well the LR itself doesn't do anything a pair of predators couldn't. However, it serves as a safety bunker for my HQ and th/ss terminators and a counter-attack platform, and as such it can fit a variety of roles and will generally survive most battles. Simply put, I can't imagine taking th/ss terminators without it, and since vanilla doesn't have any good assault units aside from th/ss termies, a LR is pretty much a must-take.

I have one question. How so you think about Demons. Are they as unbeatable as some say? What makes them so dangerous in your opinion? I have not played them yet, and I am curious.

I think it's just terrible design and really bad for the game overall. A bunch of tzeench flamers basically autowins vs biker/jumppacker/terminator army, so that kills variety in tournaments and pisses off players who just want to field their fluffy white scars list. Add to that the fact the daemons are just plain stupid to play because their entire army has 5++ (rendering cover mechanics and positioning pointless), moves as jump infantry/jetbikes (or flies) thus rendering terrain/blocking a non-issue, has to take troops that literally don't do anything the entire game except stand on an objective without even shooting, and basically doesn't have any customization options for its units. I seriously can't imagine them being enjoyable to play with or play against.

What makes them dangerous is that they can field 3+ flying MCs when very few armies actually have skyfire, that they have access to horribly overpowered and underpriced units (flamers and screamers), that we can't reserve our entire army any more and thus have to suffer the alpha strike no matter what, that they can't be outplayed with good positioning because their entire army flies or jumppacks around, that you don't have a turn of two of shooting at them before they get into combat/template range because they can deep strike in your face, and that most armies simply don't have the volume of fire to be able to kill their units effectively.

How would you beat them? I sincerely have no idea. There are some articles about it on various blogs (3++ is the new black has a good article on it) and you can deploy in a way that nullifies their alpha strike somewhat (I did that in my new years battle report), but on the whole it's extremely hard and I don't have a good answer for it just yet. :/

Archived